PDA

View Full Version : NEED INFO ON 4X9 NATIONAL TABLE, VERY OLD

10-20-2002, 02:02 PM
I HAVE AN OLD 100YRS.+ NATIONAL-41/2" X 9" POCKET POOL TABLE. I AM THINKING OF HAVING IT RENOVATED (IF IT IS WORTH IT). THE TABLE IS SOUND WITH GOOD SLATE(3 PCS.) WITH A VERY FEW MINOR BLEMISHES. RAIL ARE SOLIT PECAN WOOD AND FRAME IS STRUCTURALLY SOLID. WOOD IT HELP IF YOU HAD THE SERIAL #? WHAT CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT IT FROM THIS INFORMATION?

Ken
10-20-2002, 08:01 PM
There was a thread about National tables back in February. It was determined that there were two companies using that name. The person who inquired was selling a table he thought was make around 1960. Did you just buy this table from someone in Rhode Island? Just kidding.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=742&amp;pa ge=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=>http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=742&amp;pa ge=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=</a>

Old tables have significant value if they are very ornately decorated with carvings or castings etc. It also helps if Abraham Lincoln, Mark Twain or a Queen of England owned them. A relatively plain table made by a manufacturer who is not well known may not be worth an extensive restoration. It could, however, be worth restoring it to good playing condition and using it.

There's the $10,000 restoration and the $1,000 restoration. I doubt that you would get your money back going either way but it would probably be well worth putting into good playing condition which might cost less than $500 depending on how much you feel like doing yourself.
KenCT

10-20-2002, 09:12 PM
The most knowledgble person on here would be ####leonard on this matter I feel. He could most likely answer your questions. He has the most vast knowledge on pool imo. He is a great historian and has a vast collection of pool artifacts. Just IM him and ask for his opinion.

Scott Lee
10-21-2002, 01:45 PM
Dick Leonard is certainly an authority on pool. However, THE authority on antique tables in the world is a man from Clay Center, KS, by the name of Joe Newell! He restores more antique tables, and appraises and advises on many more that he doesn't do himself. You can send him pictures and/or video of your National table, and he can give the info you are looking for. Ususally he charges $50 for this service, but it is well worth it! After speaking with him, you will know for sure whether or not you want to spend $$$ to refinish your table.

Scott Lee

#### leonard
10-21-2002, 03:24 PM
Anon thanks for the plug. I have never run across a National table in my area but in the 60s the owner of National Billiard Table would show up at Us Open tourneys. I believe the company was out of Cincinati,Ohio. In the old days people who repaired and recovered tables had the dastardly habit of taking off your tables nameplate and replacing it with theirs so when it came time for repairs you would call them back. That might explain the two companies.####