PDA

View Full Version : From Gradys new site

10-21-2002, 11:34 PM
Take Lessons from World Champion Grady Mathews!

Nothing advances the serious pool player faster than one on one instruction from a world class professional.

Four time world one-pocket champion Grady "The Professor" Mathews is proud to offer his services as a personal trainer to pool players interested in mastering this wonderful sport of pool. These powerful lessons are provided in person at his home in Columbia, South Carolina, or a rare personal visit from The Professor can sometimes be arranged depending on location and scheduling.

Grady teaches kick systems, bank shot improvement, defensive play, 8-ball and 9-ball run patterns, 14.1 key ball selection, one-pocket strategy, extreme english and much much more including every other aspect of the sport of pool, all depending upon the needs of each individual student and at rates unheard of for a professional player of Grady's prowess and reputation.

Call Randi at (803) 407-0047 NOW to check for available dates and times, or send an email to Grady101@sc.rr.com

RATES AND INFORMATION

$100 per hour - 3 hour minimum
12 hours spread over 3 days - $840 ($70 per hour)
18 hours - $1080 ($60 per hour)
Share lessons with friends at no extra cost
Deposit required, call for details
YES! Video taping is permitted and encouraged
Advanced students preferred

Grady teaches whatever the student wants to learn, or if the student prefers he will covers all the bases in turn. Call Randi to check for available dates and times (803) 407-0047.

CLICK HERE to read what The Monk Pool Academy says about taking lessons from Grady.

Quit struggling with your game or thinking that you are at a dead end Get up to speed and start shooting like a pro. Don't procrastinate any longer! Call Randi now at (803) 407-0047 or send an email to Grady101@sc.rr.com

[ HOME ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Web page built by John Colaw JC3@colaw.net
Copyright 2002 - 2003 All Rights Reserved

nAz
10-21-2002, 11:42 PM
$300 damn wonder if that includes table time lol
id have to share that with 5 othersin order to afford that!

Chris Cass
10-21-2002, 11:47 PM
Actually, that is cheaper but not a whole lot. I think he's well within his range though. Jerry Briesath(sp?) is about 340. per day and he'll only see you for about 4 hrs per day, from what I've heard. I don't know this as a fact but he's a champion too.

Mike Segal from what I've heard charges $500. a day. Although, he's one of my favorite players $500. is a lot for me to swallow. Anyway, I don't know anything is true for a fact and is mostly hear say.

C.C.~~wish I were able to hit something big and take a session from any of these pool schools, Randy G. included. Who knows, I might cash in the Midwest Tour if I can make it past the first two rounds. LOL

10-21-2002, 11:59 PM
Where did these world championships take place? I say this because I may have been at one of these tournaments Grady won. It drew 16 players and I would hardly call it a World Championship. This is a problem in pool. There are many claims as world champions. It takes more then winning one double elimination tournament where the winner may play all of six matches to win to be called a world champion. Years ago they played for months in multiple cities to determine a champion. I think it meant more then.

Tommy_Davidson
10-22-2002, 12:28 AM
> Correction,Chris,Sigel charges 750 an HOUR,not 500 a day. All I can say is,I better start running hundreds the next day. Tommy D.

Chris Cass
10-22-2002, 12:45 AM
WOW, That's outragous! Is this really worth the money? I know I'd have to ask myself that. Thanks Tommy, for the correction. Man, could I be just too cheap? I see too many things that are outragous everywhere I go. Look at the Air Jordan'. I can't see it myself. I'd have to like really win the money before I'd take the leap. Even then, I would have to believe in him like totally. I've heard some great things about Briesath but then again, I'd have to see the results like you.

Regards,

C.C.~~Tommy D.' coool...

10-22-2002, 03:58 AM
well,,,it's kinda like this WORLD 14.1 championship he's holding also.

i think i'm going to hold one next weekend with my buddies.

10-22-2002, 10:12 AM
In my opinion it not worth it. Pool is an acquired skill and takes months to begin to develop and years to really begin to play at any kind of level. For a beginner the teacher needs only to have a good knowledge of fundamentals and can teach a little game strategy as well as some ability to teach. Players of this level are found in every room and are often willing to help. For the more advanced player playing, with better players such as in tournaments and watching better players a lot can be picked up. It just takes so long to learn the game I can't see the value of a crash course, not enough will be retained. It may be worth something to a strong player that wants to improve, say his one pocket game or something like that. For the beginner or average player it may be worthless. Working over a long period of time like an hour a week or every couple of weeks and the instructor keeps tabs on your progress is the way to go. IMHO

Chris Cass
10-22-2002, 11:02 AM
Hi Anon,

I agree somewhat with you but here's my thoughts. A beginner really needs to see an instructor for their fundamentals. It can be a low level BCA instructor. I mention the BCA instructor because they all are taught the fundamentals and how to express them to the beginner. It's the same instruction from all.

Now, the BCA Master instructors are for the advanced player. The kind that need that little kick in the patoot to see what's really happening to their game. The paper doesn't mean anything as far as the instruction goes at that level. They just have to be able to see and pointout what the advanced players needs are. Briesath, sees a lot of pros when they have trouble. That's what I've heard about him mostly. Players like Nick Varner and others have been to see Jerry Briesath.

Do you need to see a BCA instructor to reach pro level? Nope, pros have been around well before the BCA existed. What helps the advanced players quickly is the level of competition. Money games mostly or tournament. Jon Kucharo an extremely good friend of mine who's throwing his life away presently, told me, " Chris, I was taking off everything and then to walk into the pros, I was like overwhemed. The level of competition was way tough." He also suggested that I do the same.

Jon has also been to see Jerry B. I think anyone can learn from reading, video, and practice but if you really want to excell? You'll do this quicker through higher level play. That's what I've done for years. The problem with this is. Players of higher caliber don't want to give something away for nothing. They'll play for money though. So, either way you pay. The under the gun competition is what you need the most.

JMHO and good talking to you,

C.C.

10-22-2002, 11:25 AM
You make good points. What about players like Grady who want $100. an hour for instruction? I can't see the value that an average player could come away with to make it worth it. Like I said, it takes more then a crash coarse to make any difference. You may come away with a few nuggets of wisdom, but it just takes to long for instruction to take root for this kind of course to make much difference. I wish Grady well, but in my opinion it is not worth. I say this because it takes many lessons over a long period of time, combined with proper practice and competition to become a player. I have seen a number of name players exploit their hero worshippers taking lessons from them. Many just took their money and don't not even try. I remember one guy that asked me how to get out of taking anymore lessons from a pushy former champion. I told him to just quit and not worry about it. He actually had to stop coming in the room to get away from the guy, but that is another story.

eg8r
10-22-2002, 12:01 PM
When I was living in Orlando, I asked Sigel many times about lessons, and he asked when I was finally going to actually take them. He changed the price a few times, but the best I saw was $500/day but a minimum of 3 days, or something close to that. It was an extraordinary amount of money in my mind and I never thought I would get good enough based on the limited amount of time I play to even make that sort of investment make sense (long run on sentence I know).

eg8r

10-22-2002, 03:00 PM
You should. Anyone can do it because there is no definite sanctioning body. You and the AnonymOOse can organize the greatest events we've ever seen - that'll put Grady in his place!

10-22-2002, 03:05 PM
ANONYM<font color=red>OO</font color=red>SE ALERT!

10-22-2002, 03:11 PM
ANONYM<font color=red>OO</font color=red>SE ALERT!

10-22-2002, 06:26 PM
Maybe "Anonymorons" sounds better than "Anonymooses" *shrug* I defended the anonymorons so many times by posing the question, "what good does it to you to know their name as many of us don't use our real names", but I am now being swayed in my opinion here. Mainly because whenever a post springs up on this board that exhibits some sarcasm, or hostility toward someone else, more than half the time it's an anonymoron (anonymoose?) doing the posting!

Alright, I'm off like a prom dress ...

10-22-2002, 07:46 PM
Do you have anything to add to anything other then to point out anonymous posts to? A vast majority of the anonymous posts have a lot to add to the threads they post. I can't say that about even one of your posts ever.

phil in sofla
10-22-2002, 08:37 PM
In judging value from books and tapes, I have always felt that if I get
ONE thing that is valuable, that's going to sometime make me a chance
to win from an underdog position on the table, it is well worth the
price.

The way I view instruction is similar. No, a brief session won't turn a
weak game into a strong one. However, if you have a strong game, with a
couple of weaknesses, if the session identifies those weaknesses and
makes them strengths, that 'minor' improvement in your game might just
put you in the winners bracket instead of an also ran.

Especially if that 'minor' weakness is some fundamental flaw in
mechanics or technique or concept on given shots, or simply ignorance of what to do
in a given situation. A 'slight' improvement might be worth many wins
down the road, so I think the skepticism expressed by some here is
overly cynical.

Seems that Grady has plenty of knowledge to impart, and the price is not unreasonable.

sliprock
10-22-2002, 10:19 PM
I was lucky enough to take a private lesson with Grady last year. My session lasted between 3 and 4 hours. The cost was $300, and worth probably twice that amount. I was skeptical going into the lesson wondering what he could show me in 3 hours, but after the lesson I was amazed at how much I actually learned in that short amount of time. Unfortunatly, the second session that I had scheduled was cancelled due to a death in the family, but if the oppurtunity ever comes up again, I'd gladly fork over the money for another session. I've been playing for nearly 20 years, and I'd have to say that he improved the way I approach the game of 1-pocket by 2 balls! In one 3 hour session!!

Chris Cass
10-22-2002, 11:39 PM
Hi Anon,

I'm not disagreeing with your point. An average player hasn't done his/her homework yet. The beginner should seek help in books, video and practice. Then, seek an instructor. Now, Grady in my eyes would be a master instructor. This would be of help to any student but mostly worth it to the higher level players. As far as prices go? Well, I know people with $200. bowling balls I think a rental is good enough. LOL It's all dependant on what you place your values into.

I've never had a lesson in my life. Anything I've required has been through hard work and the higher level of competition I've encountered. If I were to take a lesson from a pool instructor it would have to be someone that works with advanced students. This to me might be worth good money considering the events I enter. I might be able to recover the money spent in tourney purses. So, to me it would be worth it, if I did cash a few times.

To the average player, this might not. I do encourage them to seek a BCA instructor for atleast a stroke analysis and video taping. That's only about $50. and worth the money if they are serious about becoming a pool player, even if it's only for small tourney events. The books and videos is all one needs to get the basic fundamentals needed. The major problem with fundamentals is burning them into muscle memory. What you think is right may change when your in competition and your mind is elsewhere and not on your fundamentals. This is where the pros even need to find out what's going on when their having problems. So, basically we have the same views. IMHO

Regards,

C.C.

bluewolf
10-23-2002, 06:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Joe Bloe:</font><hr> Maybe "Anonymorons" sounds better than "Anonymooses" *shrug* I defended the anonymorons so many times by posing the question, "what good does it to you to know their name as many of us don't use our real names", but I am now being swayed in my opinion here. Mainly because whenever a post springs up on this board that exhibits some sarcasm, or hostility toward someone else, more than half the time it's an anonymoron (anonymoose?) doing the posting!

Alright, I'm off like a prom dress ...

<hr></blockquote>

Joe,

I used to think anons had a right to be anons and it is true that many of them contribute good pool stuff and start good topics. But the slanderous posts here of late have been very bad.They continue to slash a pro female who is no longer here, they have stalked me from forum to forum with made up wolfnames and madeup fake email addies,they attacked tom in cincy, and I am sure have done other things I am not even aware of.

bw

Ralph S.
10-23-2002, 07:32 AM
I would say that to some the price charged by Grady may be insignificant and to others it might be like a fortune. The bottom line is that most people can't afford that kind of money. I am sure that many here at CCB have good solid jobs and may well be able to afford it but just not willing to make the investment. Also, one must realize that the majority of the people in this country do live paycheck to paycheck. Scott Lee's instruction is very sound and you get a very good amount out of his lessons for the dollars paid. I am not saying one is better than the other. I just feel that for the average player it may be a bit on impractical side vs. more practical for a serious player with the money to spend. JMHO.
Ralph S.

PQQLK9
10-23-2002, 08:02 AM
Good points all around but I have probably learned more from playing people that I've seen beat Grady. That fact not withstanding I do have Gradys' tapes which I enjoy and I recently took a refresher course (excellent and resonable)from Scott Lee.