PDA

View Full Version : tourney tourney tourney

marek
10-22-2002, 05:18 AM
Hi people!
Here is the story of another tournament which took place on weekend...
This one was the biggest tourny of the year here in Czech republic. Big purse, nice venue, perfect organization, quite expensive entry fee, 63 competitors, shortened double-elim format (last 16 single-elim), race to 9 in winners side, race to 7 in losers side, new super fast cloth (if you recognize "speedball" brand you know what i am talking about... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif ). My first opponent was to be easy one but proved to be pretty hard to beat as he took any chance he got to shot combo on 9 and he was lucky enough to get 2 of those + 9 from the break at the beginning of the match. But then finally I started to play reasonable game and just rolled over him by comfortable victory 9-5. My next opponent was something really different. I was very cautious about my opponent as I knew that his first match was close victory 9-8 but whole match lasted only 22 minutes!!! That was the indicator of very strong game. And he was bronze medalist in 8-ball nationals this year... But the beginning of our match showed totally different, he seemed to be afraid of me and did stupid mistakes which left me easy start of 3-0. Then he started to kick back as he made next 2 games. But then again stupid mistake left me open table on which opportunity I capitalized next two games. 5-2...opponent seemingly in defeat mood...nothing can go wrong.....these were my thoughts at the moment and I started to be quite relaxed...... MAN, what a MISTAKE!!!!!! I made a stupid mistake myself which he capitalized on. 5-3. 9 from break: 5-4. Break - 3 balls potted + 1-9 combo in hangar: 5-5. Break: one ball potted and airtight safety....I kicked and hit the ball and the ball was left in open in not-too-pleasant position. He played and missed BUT the ball went 3 rails to be caromed into the pocket...and runout followed...5-6. Break - runout 5-7. Break - runout 5-8. Break.....and nothing went in...you can imagine the pressure that was put on me...Luckily for me the table layout was quite easy so I managed not to make any trouble for myself. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif 6-8. Break - one ball in and 9 in the jaws of pocket with 1 nowhere to play. only bank-combo... I was bit angry on the layout so I hit 1 pretty hard....Guess what? 9 went in! 7-8. Break and safety. He fouled and I created another safety. another foul. Another safety but I was too fast and he was able to see the ball but only partially. He tried safety but was too soft and left me cueball on the short bank with across the table straight-in shot. But he didnt know I was practicing those shots all week prior to this tournament... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif So I pulled the trigger and the ball went in! runout- 8-8. Break - two balls went in but the position was terrible. Safety was really risky and the only "reasonable" shot was cross-bank carom shot! Well....what should I do.....so I told to myself that the result of this match wasnt that important, much more important thing was that I proved that I had the heart and nerves to comeback from 5-8...so I chose to go for "THE SHOT". Amazingly I POT the ball!!! BUT........the cueball went to the short bank where 9 was kissing the rail and cut the 9 at the angle of 75 degree to pot the 9 into the pocket!!!!!!!!!!! There were about 15 people watching the shot and first they "wow!" on that cross-bank carom shot but when they saw the 9 falling into the pocket they went crazy! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif What a match! My next match was with one of the toughest opponents and I knew I had to play very good to beat him... Well..this match showed that I am Santa Claus reincarnated....MANY presents went to my opponent... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif I lost 6-9 and I could only blame myself. Well....I went to the end of losers side and waited for my opponent. And it turned out that I was to play my friend. So the atmosphere of the match was bit relaxed and I liked it so I won 7-2 by playing solid game to get into the last 16. I got very strong opponent (which is quite probable in last 16... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif )...man...HE GOT TOTALLY UNLUCKY through the whole match. Well...unlucky means he couldnt get used to speed of the cloth as the table we were playing at was "a bit" faster than the others...("a bit" means like 30 percent..) ...generally I can say I was given that match 9-3. It would be really embarasing to lose the match when your opponent leave you 5 times 3 or less balls + bih.... So I advanced to quarterfinals with really hard player to beat. Well...I played well but I did 2 stupid mistakes and I lost 5-9. In the end the guy won the whole tournament.

There goes my summary:
Ability to get used to different playing condition is VERY important.
Stupid mistakes=presents can cost you match quite easily.
Dont get fooled by slow start of your opponent, capitalize as much as you can on it!
You get your rolls...sometimes!

Have a nice day!
Marek

Rich R.
10-22-2002, 06:12 AM
Great story Marek. It appears that your game is really progressing nicely. I'm sure, with more experience, you will avoid the mistakes you made. When a bronze medal player is afraid to play you, that says a lot about your improvement. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Keep up the good work and, as always, keep us posted.
Rich R.

Kato
10-22-2002, 07:43 AM
How many crowns did you cash for 7-8th?

Kato~~~go Marek go!!!!!!

PQQLK9
10-22-2002, 08:02 AM
Nice story Marek...you make me feel as if I was there...