PDA

View Full Version : Jump Shot

03-05-2002, 06:01 PM
Does any one have a good/sure-fire way to make a jump shot (i.e. aim, angle, force, etc.)?

Doctor_D
03-05-2002, 06:23 PM
Good evening:

There are excellent instructions on www.bunjeejump.com (http://www.bunjeejump.com)

Dr. d.

shojingod
03-05-2002, 06:25 PM
With a regular cue or short jump cue?

With a regular cue. pendulum stroke

1. Use an elevated bridge simular too shooting over a ball.
2. Be 2in away from cue ball.
3. Aim just slightly below center on cue ball
4. Elevate your cue based on the distance of jump. The closer the jump the higher the elevation and so forth.
5. Do a full stroke. Therefore do not chicken out and do these quick jab strokes.
6. Make sure you have a proper stroke before hand. If you don't you will not be able to jump too well.
7. hit with medium speed and force

With a jump cue. dart stroke

Do this.
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bunjeejump.com/2k_changes/bunjee_instructions_2k.htm>http://www.bunjeejump.com/2k_changes/bunjee_instructions_2k.htm</a>

03-05-2002, 06:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: shojingod:</font><hr> .
3. Aim just slightly below center on cue ball
<hr></blockquote>

congratulations, you have just committed a b.i.h. foul by bca.

you must, repeat, must, contact above center or it is considered a 'scoop' and is illegal.

3.26 "illegal jumping of ball".

dan

shojingod
03-05-2002, 06:46 PM
Hello.

You hit above center you trap the cue ball under your cue. You miss cue high. This is based on your 45 degree view angle not on a 10 degree angle.

I said slightly, very very slightly. I did not say to shoot like a draw.

My method is the same as in the instroke web site the only thing different you use the pendulum stroke for a full cue.

03-05-2002, 07:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: shojingod:</font><hr> Hello.

This is based on your 45 degree view angle not on a 10 degree angle.

<hr></blockquote>

ok, it's pretty clear now. as long as the tip hits above center as measured against the plane of the slate, you're kewl.

dan

shojingod
03-05-2002, 07:27 PM
Yes, slightly below based on your viewing angle because elevation will vary based on distance and height.

You aim slightly below based on elevation angle. At that particular elevation you aim slightly below center.

Alfie
03-05-2002, 10:57 PM
"Good evening:

There are excellent instructions on www.bunjeejump.com (http://www.bunjeejump.com)

Dr. d."

Good evening:

Does anybody ever release the jump cue and catch it as it bounces back up? Is this acceptable technique? Does it work? Can anybody expound on this method?

"_______________________________________
Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way !!! "

Sorry but you have to go around.

Scott Lee
03-06-2002, 10:45 AM
For a jump shot to be legal, the cueball must be struck ABOVE center, not below!

Scott Lee

03-06-2002, 11:21 AM
I am not much of a jumper, but I always aim below center (from where I am looking at the cue ball). If I aim above centre the ball just doesn't fly.

dave
03-06-2002, 02:27 PM
Many people believe that by simply jacking up the back of the cue and keeping the tip at the point on the cue ball that WAS center when the stick was parallel to the slate, that they are executing a legal jump shot, when in fact they are not. The location of centerball changes as the back end of the cue is elevated. If done properly, aiming above center will NOT trap the cueball against the slate as someone stated in another post.

shojingod
03-06-2002, 02:43 PM
I think people are not reading my instructions too well.

Just look at the bungee jumper web site and take as it is. You see him aiming at the center based on the angle of elevation. If he aimed higher it would not jump and cue ball would get trapped under the cue. Aiming slightly below that you are just applying a little bit of draw on the jump.

http://www.cyberbeach.net/~ranma2/stuff.gif

dave
03-06-2002, 03:08 PM
When using the dart method you are supposed to release the stick so that it can rebound off the cueball and get out of the way, so that the cueball can jump off the table. Trapping occurs when the shooter HOLDS onto the stick throughout the stroke so that the shaft cannot rebound and a double hit then occurs trapping the cueball against the slate. Releasing the cue does not feel natural or comfortable and must be practiced. If the cue is properly released, you can execute a jump shot even with high, follow english. The whole reason you use a jump cue is because the shorter cue length reduces the overall weight of the cue allowing it to bounce off the cueball more effectively and get out of the way. This is also why using just the shaft is even more effective ( it's lighter still). The problem with using the shaft only is lack of stability and difficulty in forming a bridge off the table surface against one's body. Technique is everything.

03-06-2002, 03:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: shojingod:</font><hr> I think people are not reading my instructions too well. <hr></blockquote>

.i think you're in love with your own terminology and need to get off the term "below center". since the bca rulebook is the defining source and they are using the term center as it relates to the plane of the slate, you are just confusing the communication by insisting on creating a movable plane and then relating to that.

dan

03-08-2002, 12:05 PM
jump shots must be above center to be legal?????????whodathunkit!!!!!!
center of the cue ball means the angle your lookiing . an above center hit will make cb follow ob. below center will draw cb after contacting ob. cb can still be made to jump hitting left or right of center if you want a little english. jump masse no problem -- hit cb right or left and slightly below center -- works much better when shooting into a rail. cb is slightly off the table when it hits the rail, rail gives cb a higher elevation to jump an ob. when the cb is up and over the ob spin will take over and the wiggle is on. any jump shot of cb over ob can be done with your regular cue but works much better with a jump cue. must have a solid stroke, shoot through the cb and don't be "scart". thats jumping cb over an ob.
how about shooting an ob and jumping it over another ball. this can easily be done. use your regular cue and the same type jump shot. the cb should hit ob while its off the table, this will cause this ob to jump over blocking ball. takes practice and more practice. this is much easier to do than a normal jump shot however its is very risky because you have to turn the cb loose