PDA

View Full Version : Great shots no one sees?

phil in sofla
10-22-2002, 09:26 PM
I play enough by myself to be plenty happy with great shots no one sees, because no one is supposed to see it. A great shot is a great shot, even in a forest where no one hears it, LOL!

Still, it's interesting when I'm expecting my opponent to see the shot, and it is unusually great, to find out they've been talking to someone or otherwise distracted, and didn't see it at all, that I'm disappointed. Not hugely, but noticeably, almost to where it takes away some of the pleasure of the shot.

I just move on to the next shot, and I don't feel compelled to tell the opponent all about it. Even when they ask, clearly having expected to have the table turned over to them, or even ball in hand, I just say, 'I kicked it in' or 'I went two rails,' whatever. So I guess I'm not a needy glory addict or anything, but the social nature of pool does raise its head and show me I'm at least somewhat getting some reinforcement from the guys I play with.

How do you react to that situation when it comes up?

Sid_Vicious
10-22-2002, 09:51 PM
Good question Phil. I've taken control in spectacular fashion in the absense of the opponent, sometimes a mentor that I know would highly regard the stroke to begin the run. There's a weakness in thinking about this, and I HAVE gained the ability to do these events and not even think about blowing my own horn. Still the fever to "be known" for having the ability is inherent in most of us, and this is where some of the failings jump up at us in tough moments. Do you want to have a good chance to have a big opening at a table that a stronger player seems to have all the nuts with...go to the bathroom. Many, many times you have ball in hand when you get back. Funny how that works, but even the best have to have an audience...sid~~~swore that this game was easy after a long Saturday at home by himself making up impossible shots and making all of them...no one to see them except for the cat

Patrick
10-22-2002, 11:22 PM
In the future there will be cameras everywhere and you can see it on the Internet. You can record anything to your computer. So when you go to the pool room you can just start recording when you enter the pool room (using your cell phone) and abort recording when you leave. If you have a big harddrive you can record for days or even weeks. Then you can see all those good shots you have done and send them to others.

Patrick

MikeM
10-23-2002, 06:05 AM
Sid,

I haven't reached your state of complacency yet. I guess it's because I don't have that many great shots, so when they happen I want someone to see it and shower me with glory. Recently I was playing some lunchtime practice games with my buddies Tram and Wes and made two great kicks and ran out only to look over at the two of them yapping away oblivious of the greatness that just took place.

MM

Wally_in_Cincy
10-23-2002, 07:27 AM
So maybe Dr. Fancher had a point with that "status" theory? /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Wally~~rarely makes those tough shots anyway,

phil in sofla
10-23-2002, 11:38 AM
There IS something, for a lot of us, in Fancher's analysis of the social pressures/rewards of shooting pool, especially where you're known, and with players you match up with repeatedly.

The other factor is fear or intimidation. A guy who generally plays better than I do says I take away about 1/3rd of his game, in the safety area, because he's seen how well I kick to balls that he simply passes on many mediocre safes and instead tries to make harder shots than he would normally like to shoot. That's very good for me, since it takes him out of his comfort zone of shots, and even if the safe wasn't that good, I still could miss anyway, giving up ball in hand, or hit it but sell out the rack. Having him instead try shots he isn't normally going to attempt saves me the possible downside of kicking, and lessens his pocketing percentages from normal.

So part of the reason I wish my opponent to see the shot is to put that into the back of his mind-- even if I wouldn't make the shot 2 out of 10 times, if I pull it off now, just once, he has to consider that possibility/likelihood in the future.

Sort of how the undisciplined gin player picking up unrelated cards just to discard higher value cards screws up a good player, who must consider all those actually unrelated cards as part of the opponent's melds, and unnecessarily hold some discards himself.