PDA

View Full Version : Definition of a FLUKE ?

10-23-2002, 02:26 AM
Today i had a few games with a mate

I made a hard kick shot on the black (playing 8ball) and pocketed the black

Now whilst i didn't expect to get the black in, i was actually going for the shot

my mate goes "you flukey bastard" etc etc

I said "well i was going for the shot"

what do you guys think is a fluke shot ?

Is it something which happens favourably which you weren't going for only or does it include those mega low percentage shots which you were going for but might make only 1 in 50 times ?

Perk
10-23-2002, 05:12 AM
Kick shots are intentional. The fact that you have made that shot probably sometime before or worked on kicks, wouldnt classify as a fluke. IMHO, a fluke is when you perform the kick shot to get out of danger in 9ball, and the kicked ball goes two rails and kicks the NINE in..(saw it this weekend in state 9ball tourney). That is what I would call a fluke!

Fred Agnir
10-23-2002, 09:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr>

what do you guys think is a fluke shot ?<hr></blockquote>

A low percentage shot that you intended to make may be lucky, fortunate, or otherwise, but I've normally heard the word "fluke" for a shot you didn't intend to make. And of course, only in British games. I don't think American pool players use the term.

Fred

10-23-2002, 09:28 AM
I was very surprised to find this definition in the American Heritage Dictionary of English:

fluke (flook) n.
1. A stroke of good luck.
2. A chance occurrence; an accident.
3. Games. An accidentally good or successful stroke in billiards or pool.

Chris Cass
10-23-2002, 10:06 PM
Hi Anon,

Two reasons for this reply:

1) It's a shark technique to make you think lower of your performance and to belittle you into thinking your shooting over your capabilities.

2) Your opponent has under-estimated your game.

I'm thinking it's #1 all the way. This sharking technique is used commonly to get into ones head to change the focus of oneself to focusing on anything but the game, your in. Also, to bring you down and keep you there. The mind is easily influenced by suggestions. Ever hear, " The same guy shot that?" After making a good shot and missing the next easier one? Another, is the opposite. Someone, telling you how fantastic you play, while your playing them in a match.

Another, at the beginning of a match when the opponent says, " Take it easy on me, I haven't shot in awhile." These suttle suggestions work on your mind and forces it to not focus totally on the task at hand(the game). Another, is to ask a question while your ready to shoot. There are many.

Your opponent has put this suggestion in your mind and still you harbor it. Let it go, my friend. Here's how. Everytime you here such things during or before your play think of the word, "INTERFERENCE", see this word in your mind. Then, erase all that was said and file it under this word, in your mind. Poof, it's gone.

Regards,

C.C.~~knows all the moves.......