PDA

View Full Version : Tips, Shafts, and Cases Questions

ObeOne
10-23-2002, 01:07 PM
I'm getting a new cue (Lucasi) and I have some questions:

First, what are the differences in play among soft, medium, and hard tips? I use draw and follow more than I use side english. I plan on getting Talisman tips btw, so I don't think mushrooming will be a factor.

Second, what would be the reasons for getting a custom shafter diameter smaller than 13mm? Should I just get a 13mm shaft?

Third, what is a good case to get? I will need a case to hold my jump butts, jump shaft; playing butt, 2 playing shafts; break butt, and break shaft.

--Mike

Alfie
10-23-2002, 04:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: ObeOne:</font><hr> what is a good case to get? I will need a case to hold my jump butts, jump shaft; playing butt, 2 playing shafts; break butt, and break shaft. <hr></blockquote>
http://www.poolndarts.com/store.cfm?cat=45
http://www.poolndarts.com/product.cfm?sku=AC80

Chris Cass
10-23-2002, 05:23 PM
Hi ObeOne,

Good choice. I'd get the 13MM shaft. I shoot with a 12.8MM. I think it's personal preference more than anything. The harder tip will be a plus IMO to keep you inside the quarter radius without miscuing. It'll train you to be a better player. Try to get a good hard case with 2 butts and 4 shafts. Make sure you have a pocket that is large enough for your jump butt.

Don't limit yourself to less english. You'll need to travel around the quarter radius of the cb to get where you need to be eventually. I like your choice in cues and hope you have the best of luck with it. Their shafts aren't one of their attributes IMO but they're right on in value for the buck.

Regards,

C.C.

stickman
10-23-2002, 05:55 PM
I don't own a Lucasi but think they are a great stick for the money. My personal preference is a hard tip, I'm partial to the Water Buffaloes. Talisman makes a great one. They seem to hold chalk very well, and require no maintenance. (chalk only) I own both a 12mm and a 13mm. I used to play primarily with the 12mm, but found I was more consistant with the 13mm. I'm thinking of selling the 12mm. The 12mm plays well but seems to be less forgiving. I found that when I was struggling with my game, I could switch to the 13mm and play better. I have no scientific evidence to support this theory, just my personal feeling. I have a friend that plays with a 11mm! But that's not a very typical choice.

ObeOne
10-23-2002, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

What are the differences among the tips? Would a soft tip allow me to get a better grip on the cueball and produce more draw?

The only reason I don't use english often is because I prefer to move around the table with draw and follow to keep my aim more consistent. I do use english, just not as often as I use follow and draw; I use side english only to throw object balls or to get someplace otherwise not possible without straying from the center of the cueball, or when its easier than using draw or follow. It's not that I have a fear of miscues.

Basically what I'm asking is with which tip will I be able to get the most draw?

Thanks,

--Mike

stickman
10-23-2002, 09:54 PM
Some folks think they have more grip with a softer tip, I'm not one of them though, LOL. When I used a softer tip, I was constantly picking it, and scuffing it to get it to hold chalk. Then there was the mushrooming to deal with also. It may be as Chris has suggested, that I play a little closer to the center than I used to, but I seldom ever miscue, and get all the draw I could ever want. I couldn't draw a ball any better when I used a softer tip. I often miscued with the softer tip, part of the reason I was constantly picking and scuffing. Few people that I know use a soft tip. Most seem to use medium hard and hard.

TalismanTony
10-27-2002, 08:55 PM
Hi ObeOne,

Please take a look at my new Talisman cue cases. These should be available for sale on my web site and for delivery from the US within three weeks.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.talismanbilliards.com/Cuecasesdetail.asp>http://www.talismanbilliards.com/Cuecasesdetail.asp</a>

Kind regards,