PDA

View Full Version : Origin of Speed?

10-23-2002, 09:05 PM
I am curious if anyone knows the origin of the term 'speed' as it applies to a player's level of ability. It has always seemed like an odd designation since better plays often play slower than bangers.

Does anyone know how this came about? Does it refer to a higher speed player being more likely to win a 'race'?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Chris Cass
10-23-2002, 09:16 PM
Hi Cuebald,

Good question? I've always thought of gears one catches. Now, you got me thinking. Maybe, it's like the race horse as some refer to as the player that's being backed.

Good one,

C.C.

Fred Agnir
10-24-2002, 08:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: CueBald:</font><hr> I am curious if anyone knows the origin of the term 'speed' as it applies to a player's level of ability. It has always seemed like an odd designation since better plays often play slower than bangers.

Does anyone know how this came about? Does it refer to a higher speed player being more likely to win a 'race'?

Inquiring minds want to know! <hr></blockquote>
My guess is that it's related to sandbagging, which would slow you down.

Then there's the term "lemonade."

Fred

SPetty
10-24-2002, 09:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Then there's the term "lemonade."<hr></blockquote>Which, of course, goes well with the term "tequila".

Chris Cass
10-24-2002, 09:20 AM
Or refers to how fast a person can race to clean up a beer spill. Maybe, the soakability of a carpet in Vegas. LOL

/ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif,

C.C.~~misses SPetty

Rich R.
10-24-2002, 09:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Fred Agnir:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Then there's the term "lemonade."&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;Which, of course, goes well with the term "tequila". <hr></blockquote>

How does SPetty always get things to lead back to "tequila"? /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
This is like playing six degrees of seperation.
Rich R.

rackmup
10-24-2002, 10:05 AM
The term "Speed" as it relates to skill levels:

speed

PRONUNCIATION: AUDIO: spd KEY
NOUN: 1. Physics The rate or a measure of the rate of motion, especially: a. Distance traveled divided by the time of travel. b. The limit of this quotient as the time of travel becomes vanishingly small; the first derivative of distance with respect to time. c. The magnitude of a velocity.
2. Swiftness of action.
3a. The act of moving rapidly. b. The state of being in rapid motion; rapidity.
4. A transmission gear or set of gears in a motor vehicle.
5a. A numerical expression of the sensitivity of a photographic film, plate, or paper to light. b. The capacity of a lens to accumulate light at an appropriate aperture. c. The length of time required or permitted for a camera shutter to open and admit light.
6. Slang A stimulant drug, especially amphetamine or methamphetamine.
<font color=red>7.</font color=red> Slang One that suits or appeals to a person's inclinations, skills, or character: Living in a large city is not my speed.

Regards,

Ken (raining outside and bored. Billy Weir's is 6 hours and counting)

SpiderMan
10-24-2002, 12:31 PM
Well, it wouldn't be very flattering to nickname a good player "Slow Eddie".

SpiderMan