PDA

View Full Version : PHs You Just Can't Feel Fun In

Sid_Vicious
10-24-2002, 12:03 AM
I have a billiard establishment which I do league in, have been for 3+ years and from day one I have never been warm at all to the place. Blame it on the fact that the tables are not automatically there for league players on league night, or that the drinks are over priced...it simply affects my fun factor and THAT screws with my game plus costs bucks over time...all in all it's just a drag! Would y'all bail out on this league since it isn't anything but a downer to have to make the trip over to this one particular house? I'm close to cutting the ties there, it just ain't the type of place I seem to fit in and yet I have a friend or so to leave behind when I go. It's just this one house, I find hospitality other places,,,what to do...Sid

nAz
10-24-2002, 12:26 AM
If i was playing there and not playing up to par or worse not having fun id have quit. aggravation is not worth it.
or you could always come back there and shoot up the joint hehe http://smilies.networkessence.net/otn/violent/badass.gif

=k=
10-24-2002, 07:08 AM
hi sid .. would run.. well maybe give notice to team to find another player, month should be enough notice.. ph time should be fun. k

stickman
10-24-2002, 07:15 AM
Sid, I've always told myself, when it quits being fun, I'll quit.

Chris Cass
10-24-2002, 07:21 AM
Hi Sid,

I totally agree with =k= on this one. You made a commitment and your word is your word. Just stick it out and then be done with it. The only way to finish would be if someone really had a valid excuse like family, job, died or something like that. LOL

Regards,

C.C.

Sid_Vicious
10-24-2002, 07:37 AM
I really appreciate the responses, and wouldn't quit any team pronto for this kind of selfish reason without really being diplomatic about it. Regardless it is nagging for lack of a better word, to yourney beyond my stomping grounds to a place, pay fees and all the while have "I'll be glad when I'm driving away from here" attitude. Truth...I lose games and internalize, "Well I'm closer to going." All this sounds like a piss poor attitude maybe, but it is just the way I feel sometimes.

Anyway, I'll probably adapt. But if I don't you can be assured that I won't bail on the guys "just like that." Never ever have before and won't start over this...sid

stickman
10-24-2002, 08:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Sid,

I totally agree with =k= on this one. You made a commitment and your word is your word. Just stick it out and then be done with it. The only way to finish would be if someone really had a valid excuse like family, job, died or something like that. LOL

Regards,

C.C. <hr></blockquote>

Good point Chris. I agree with trying to stick it out til the end of the session. I quit one team that way. My personality didn't mesh with the captains. The captain wanted to win at any cost. At the end of the session, I told them that I wouldn't be playing with them the next session. I didn't make a big deal of it, just quit. I set out one session and returned to another team the next.

Chris Cass
10-24-2002, 08:39 AM
Hi Sid,

Believe me, I know how you feel. I quit leagues 5 yrs. ago. I hated going to these bars and putting up with the atmosphere and people I who's company I didn't enjoy. Just to help a friend. It was more of a job than a fun experience.

The last yr. I played, the brother of a teammate had to fill in as a sub showed up. A known crack head. We were in this bar with a table in a back room. The bars team were 5 huge guys with the attitude against us, because of the team we had. 3 guys that didn't miss, and won the last yr.

A cue suddenly came up missing, from one of our opponents team. How smart was this? We didn't even start playing yet. An expensive cue to boot. He denied it.(A given) Suddenly, a lighter came up missing also. They threw him up against the wall and surrounded us. I said, " Wait a minute. What makes you think he took it? They noted, he was the only one to go outside the building. They began searching him. I quickly put my cue back in the case.

Long behold, they found the shiney chrome Harley Lighter, in his pocket. He told them it was his. The lighter was engraved from the opponents girlfriend.(Go figure) Then, after walking around the outside of the bar, found the cue too. Under some trash in the back of the building.

We had no exit. These guys looked at us and [censored] was going to go down. I said, (to the biggest guy on the team, their captain)"Look, none of us took the cue and he's cracked out. It's your choice, either we play or we let this go down? I didn't come hear to steal nor did we come to fight." There was a moment of silence and the captain said to me, "Ok, we play and forget it ever happened but, that (censor) has to go. We took the loss points and sent the teammates brother out of there alive.

I told my friend, that's it, I'm done! This was the last yr I play and I did end up finishing out the season with the promise that the brother would never be back. He didn't....

Anyway, for the last 2 yrs I've been in a BCA league just to qualify for Vegas. The thing isn't too bad and I only travel to one other ph besides the one I normally play in. It's easy to put up with. I shoot my 3 games and go. I don't much care if we win or lose. I just give my best and go.

Regards,

C.C.~~never knew the stink from his body oder was the smell of crack. It bleeds through the pores of the skin like alcohol. Learn something every day. Man, was he profuse. Yuk

Chris Cass
10-24-2002, 09:08 AM
Hi Jim,

Myself, I think leagues are ok for someone who has little time to put into the game with working and all. This makes time for alittle play anyway.

I wanted Heide to join the BCA league for the experience of playing with a team. Also, to gain insite of game strategy in 8ball. I would like to join a 1 hole league or a straight pool league. That to me sounds like fun. Only, at the ph's though like Tom in Cincy has out by him. Tom is so lucky. I might ask him to send me a lucky penny for a marker. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~can't wait to meet the Stickman, one day.

SPetty
10-24-2002, 09:44 AM
Hi Sid,

I have a similar situation when I play league. I am very uncomfortable at one of the places we go to. We all know pool rooms are crowded and smoky and noisy, but this one is plain just too crowded, too smoky, too noisy - I'm a bit of a claustrophobe as well, so it really is almost painful for me to go to this place.

I finally figured out that rather than hate it when I'm there, I try to use it as a mental game strengthener exercise. If I can put out of my mind that I'm miserable and just play my game and have my fun, then I'm a better player for it.

So, I still hate it, but when I'm there, I'm "coping" and therefore becoming a stronger player.

Mind games, I know, but you gotta do what works for you.

SpiderMan
10-24-2002, 02:26 PM
Hey Sid,

Why not join a team for a league where there are already a lot of people you know, bottled beer is $1.50 all night long, league players practice free all night 'til closing, and there are pro- and semi-pro-caliber players dropping in to play you at no cost other than racking. Of course, make sure it's an in-house league so that you'll be at this same establishment every night. You wouldn't want to drive across town and pay more for the beer. We know of such a place, don't we /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
10-24-2002, 02:52 PM
Well ya know THAT is what exists right now...I belong to two leagues with one exactly as you described, and the other as indicated in the original message posted here. The current event/question is about making "a first" for me by dropping off of a team after starting a season, mainly because of one house's negativity to what I like in PHs. It's a matter of quitting, not beginning...sid

10-24-2002, 03:30 PM
I got out of leagues a few years ago myself.
I kinda fell into the captain's position on this one team the bar owner had talked me into joining. It was the last match of the season and we came up against the other team from the same bar who happened to be in second place. We get into the match and one of my players misses a shot. The player from the other team goes to take ball in hand and I protest; the shot was a legal hit. Their captain claims that if you don't make a ball it's ball in hand. I tell him it's not and their team gets real hostile and he becomes borderline violent, bitching about people not knowing the rules. I tell him to show me the rule but that he won't be able to because it isn't there. (This is when leagues first came to town and most people didn't know what the real rules were) Anyway, we had to continue the match but I did so under protest. I figure their tactics are how they got to second place, it's a pretty laid back town and most people would rather just let things go than get into it. Well, that was my last year. Word of my protest must've gotten around because I was voted most sportsmanlike. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

10-24-2002, 04:07 PM
Does anybody here who is on a winning team ever complain about their league over and over? I play on two leagues and it always seems like the complaints come from players on teams that struggle all season.

SPetty
10-24-2002, 05:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SpiderMan:</font><hr> Why not join a team for a league where there are already a lot of people you know, bottled beer is $1.50 all night long, league players practice free all night 'til closing, and there are pro- and semi-pro-caliber players dropping in to play you at no cost other than racking. Of course, make sure it's an in-house league so that you'll be at this same establishment every night. You wouldn't want to drive across town and pay more for the beer. <hr></blockquote>Now why can't I ever get an offer like that?

Of course, I'm not sure I could handle a league that plays every night... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
10-24-2002, 05:46 PM
Sid,

If you made a committment to your teamates.. STAY. Otherwise find a replacement, and get out of there..

Sid_Vicious
10-24-2002, 06:37 PM
Be it said or implied, I'm commited and things are working out. I've opted with a sub(s) to use my slot when scheduled at that house so it ain't bad. Heck, I'll play there again down the road...a lady or two over there would be dissapointed if I didn't show ever again :-) sid

Sid_Vicious
10-24-2002, 06:44 PM
SP...This place SM talks of has great beer prices...I'll let you know as soon as I get thier Jose Quervo schedules down. ;-) sid

SpiderMan
10-25-2002, 07:21 AM
OK, should have said every week. I wouldn't want to play the same league every night either /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

SpiderMan

shayla
10-25-2002, 07:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I have a billiard establishment which I do league in, have been for 3+ years and from day one I have never been warm at all to the place. Blame it on the fact that the tables are not automatically there for league players on league night, or that the drinks are over priced...it simply affects my fun factor and THAT screws with my game plus costs bucks over time...all in all it's just a drag! Would y'all bail out on this league since it isn't anything but a downer to have to make the trip over to this one particular house? I'm close to cutting the ties there, it just ain't the type of place I seem to fit in and yet I have a friend or so to leave behind when I go. It's just this one house, I find hospitality other places,,,what to do...Sid <hr></blockquote>

You have to make it fun to have fun in my opinion. I play in an in-house league once a week. We make it fun as a team. We began by naming our team JUST FOR FUN. We are a team of 6 women. We get a little competitive, but for the most part, we have fun when we are playing. Anytime someone on our team makes the 9 on the break, breaks and runs, or cheeses the 9-ball in, we get a sticker. Its kinda like our bragging rights. They are just little star stickers that we stick on our cheeks for the evening. We've been doing it for at least 4 years now. Not sure what you mean about the tables not being available for league players. Our team captain always gets to league early and makes sure she gets a table. Our league is only $5/week, and it helps that the owner of the PH plays in the league as well. We have about 10-12 teams each season with at least 5 players per team.

=k=
10-25-2002, 09:30 AM
anon! winner? one of the top three teams.. seems like we are always jocking for first.. which in mho makes it better.. most of our problems comes from lack of leauge direction.. the most fun for me is after leauge play.. as i can usally match up with one of the better players.. love a good challenge.. K