PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good pool table?

10-24-2002, 09:56 AM
Hi everybody! I'm looking for some advice on purchasing a pool table for the billiard room in my new house. I know for sure that I want a 9' table in a furniture style and I can spend around $3000. I figure this will be the only pool table I ever buy, so I want it to last. I've been all over the web, and to lots of my local stores, and I'm leery of all the advice I've been given. All hardwood construction or some engineered wood? Brackets or dadoes? Italian slate or Brazilian? Center beam or just cross beams? Buy off the web or locally? Connoly? American Heritage? Proline? Vitelli? Presidential? I need suggestions from disinterested third parties. Independent magazine articles, web sites, personal anecdotes, and just plain off the wall opinions are all welcome. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Thanks bunches!
Arwen

Paul_Mon
10-25-2002, 04:48 AM
This came up less than a month ago. Do a search on "looking to buy a table". Hope this helps........Paul

Gayle in MD
10-25-2002, 06:13 AM
Hi there,
Deciding on which table to buy can surely drive you nuts!! I was fortunate that I discovered the CCB before I made my decision. I, too, wanted a furniture style table, originally. The first decision is to determine for yourself what you really want from your table. How serious are you about improving your game, and do you have aspirations of shooting in tournaments? If your wish is simply to have a table to enjoy with family and friends, and pool is a form of recreation only, and you are not DRIVEN to become the very best you can be at the table, then any of the well known manufacturers will do for a furniture style table, (Personally, dollar for dollar, for furniture style, I recommend Conally, a Brunswick used table, Diamond or Vitalie) But, if you are truly serious about improving, then I would suggest you forget about furniture style, and look into the Diamond Pro, with Pro cut pockets. You will find their website easily, Diamond Billiard Products. They are great folks to deal with, and will sell directly to you. Also, if you live near any of the tournaments where their tables are being trucked, you can save on the delivery charges, or even consider buying the table right off the tournament floor at a huge savings. They will deliver it to your home if you are not too far away. They build a great table, and although they may not be as well known as Brunswick, yet, my prediction is that Diamond is definaately the table of the future. They stand behind their products, are not a big production type company, and once you play on a Diamond, you will notice the difference between a good table and a great table. But understand that there is a big difference between a furniture style table, and a commercial, professional style. The Diamond Pro with the pro cut pockets, will challenge your ability, as the pocket is 4 9/16, and has a deep shelf, so you will rattle the balls in the pockets in the beginning, but it will improve you game to practice on it, and you will definately out shoot your friends when they come over to shoot, LOL. I don't know how soon you want your table, or where you live, but you can call them on their 800 number, and they will tell you which tournaments their table will be used for. I ordered my table from them, and got a good deal because they could put my table on the truck with the tables they were bringing up to Md for the Capital Classic Tournament. I got a light, pickled wood table, and it is just beautiful, although it is not a furniture style, I don't miss the fancy legs at all! (Where are you Jim S.?) Good luck, and feel free to message me here on the board if you want further info.
Gayle in Md

Fred Agnir
10-25-2002, 08:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Star End:</font><hr> Hi everybody! I'm looking for some advice on purchasing a pool table for the billiard room in my new house. I know for sure that I want a 9' table in a furniture style and I can spend around $3000. <hr></blockquote>
Here's a post from a lurker that might help :

<a target="_blank" href=http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=7lu79p%24tnc%241%40nnrp1.deja.com&amp;oe=U TF-8&amp;output=gplain>http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=7lu79p%24tnc%241%40nnrp1.deja.com&amp;oe=U TF-8&amp;output=gplain</a>

FWIW, the choice he made would be my choice as well if furniture tables were my style.

Fred