PDA

View Full Version : Games have no memory!

10-24-2002, 10:29 AM
Remember folks . . . regardless of the score in a match, the balls don't know it, so play on as if it's 0-0. Winning on the comeback is one of the most beautiful things in pool. The score means NOTHING!

Ludba
10-25-2002, 01:38 AM
The truth is quite the opposite. I am a strong believer in animism; in truth, malevolent spirits inhabit the balls, cloth, and rails. They have great memories of who you are and of how many times you've knocked balls off the table. In retaliation they are constantly toying with the mere mortals that play pool, letting one get up by as much 12 points in a 31-31 9-ball race against some yahoo with casts on both arms, only to stifle the 12-point leader to 2 points per game for the next two racks for a 31-30 loss. You might think I'm bitter towards these pool gods. No, I'm not bitter. I hate them with every fiber of my being and I renounce my belief in animism... at least until I pocket my last solid with a long kick into the corner and leave great shape for the 8-ball to win the fourth game in a row and win the match.

So my point here is that you should not play like it's 0-0; you should play like you're down by 12 points or you need this last impossible kick shot in order to win the match. That is the essence of great pool: raising yourself up above your playing level and making the impossible a reality.