PDA

View Full Version : I'm New...But....(Real Long)

10-24-2002, 10:36 AM
I am new to posting on this board. I have been lurking for some time now as one of the Anon's. But this is my first post. I have a few questions that maybe you might answer for me. Since the fiasco with Charlie Williams and the UPA with the U.S. Open. Do you think Charlie Williams will ever play in the Open again? Should he resign as head of the UPA after what I think was an embarrassement to this organization? Should he have personally called up all members and ask that they not play? After this fiasco is the UPA really united? Or should they change it to UNUNITED?Should they have kicked Earl Strickland out of the UPA for throwing his UPA patch into the garbage can at the Peninsula Open after not getting paid right away? Should they have just fined him for doing what he did? What happens to the dues that Charlie Williams and the UPA charges and the sanctioning fees generated from the tournaments the UPA sanctions. I just thought i would get other peoples opinions. Thank you for taking the time to reply to this post. John K.

MikeM
10-24-2002, 11:13 AM
John,

There's a good column about this issue in the latest Billiards Digest. I forget who wrote it but it's very well put and I agree with the views. Basically evryone should learn and grow from this. Charlie and the gang definitely had an impact but came off looking very bad. Hopefully next time around they can have the impact they want and not be so disruptive. As far as Charlie and the UPA goes, you should ask them directly. I have sent emails to them before and always get a prompt, polite response. Gauging by comments made by Shannon Daulton and others there still is a core of players that believe in what the UPA stands for and are committed to making it work. If maturity and good business sense prevail pro pool could come out of this whole mess much better off, IMO. I would like to see Daulton in a larger role at the UPA. he seems very level headed about the whole issue.

MM...and welcome to the ranks of the registered.

eg8r
10-24-2002, 03:24 PM
I hope something good comes out of it. I certainly believe in most of the things the UPA stands for. One of the tough issues Charlie had to make was whether to follow the policy of his organization. (I really hate his decision, but that is what leaders are there for.)

If I was a UPA player, and I wholeheartedly believe in the organization, then I feel I would be happy that Charlie sat it out. How terrible is it when you have a leader of an org say one thing then do another. This was not the case with Charlie.

I am not a big fan of Charlie because I feel he snubs the spectators. I feel he was the biggest jerk at the tourney in Orlando earlier this year when he would not let the players sign anything unless it was being sold at the tourney (I know, we have a player here that paid his dues and will tell you otherwise. Maybe even tell you all the players agreed to this stupid rule. The problem with that is, there are few people who will stand amongst their peers and vote against them).

eg8r

10-24-2002, 03:57 PM
I don't think the UPA is the "CHARLIE WILLIAMS ORGANIZATION." It belongs to the players, and there is a board of directors where Williams has one vote, and the player members are consulted regularly. As president he is the spokesperson, which is a double-edged sword for him because many people think the decisions are his alone when they actually aren't. His personality does become a factor though because he's in the limelight. He probably isn't a good diplomat and a good spokesperson for the UPA and he should probably step down and let someone else take on that role who has more diplomatic skills. But he deserves credit for getting the UPA off the ground and running, and rightfully deserves a place on the board of directors. I don't think the UPA embarrassed themselves, but they need to do some work on their image and dealing with the public.

Tom_In_Cincy
10-24-2002, 06:04 PM
If the UPA is to suceed, they will have to promote their own tour. This is going to be very difficult without experienced promoters. The more sucessful the UPA tour will be the better it will be for all concerned.

Barry Berhman has already stated that the US Open will be an independant event. See this months BD for more details.

Earl (according to the UPA) made the gesture to resign, by tearing off the UPA patch. Earl's actions were considered an act of resignation.

The UPA definitely needs some training in "positive public Publicity".

Dues will be used to support the UPA Tour.. AND, I wonder if the UPA will follow their own sanctioning conditions? Putting up Guaranteed money 30 days prior to an event?