PDA

View Full Version : ATTN . CCB ADMINISTRATION & CCB FAMILY

Gayle in MD
10-25-2002, 08:29 AM
Thank you for this forum, which we all enjoy! Most of the time, this is a great place to visit. There are times, though, when some who post here, use poor judgement, and insult others who are undeserving of their wrath. Often, they are the Anonymous posts. I believe in freedom of speach, and can accept the occasional little spats which surface through unavoidable misunderstandings, inherent in written communications. But, to allow people to use our treasured space here to degrade and attempt to destroy the character and reputation of members of our family here on the CCB, and leave us no alternative other than written responses in defense of undeserving victims, which can only add fuel to the fire, seems to me, to be rather irresponsible and uncaring. If there are reasons, of which I am not aware, why those who post here may do so anonymously, without even so much as a ficticious screen name, so that we may avoid their posts, and/or identify repeat offenders in advance, please explain them to me.

I suggest to you, if there is no other way for you to stay abreast of ill intended, vicioous attacks, that we be given the opportunity to elect a Mayor of our community, and I nominate "Tom in Cincy" to that position, and hope that you will atleast give him the means to enforce a "HOLD" period, with your assistance, so that cruel posts may be put on "Hold" for several days, allowing a cooling off period. Perhaps he could receive help, in this regard, when he is unable to check the board. Also, if there is a way this can be done, Tom should be able to call your attention to the posters who "Flame" members, with the intention of destroying their reputations, so that you can ban them from the board by blocking future posts. Surely there is something we can do here that will allow us to maintain a pleasant atmosphere, and avoid the loss of valued, knowledgeable members, such as Fran Crimi, from having to leave our board due to such unfortunate and undeserving attacks.
Thank you for the CCB,
Regards,
Gayle in Md

=k=
10-25-2002, 08:40 AM
amen!

Kato
10-25-2002, 09:13 AM
Other forums have moderators that are users as well. Have we gotten to that point?

Kato

Tom_In_Cincy
10-25-2002, 09:20 AM
Kato,
There shouldn't be just one moderator in any forum. And, I agree, that this forum isn't at the same level that would require such a position.. but then again.. its getting closer to that point.

I would like to see some more enforcement of the rules of this board.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>By using the Cue Chalk Board you agree not to post or transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind, including, but not limited to, any material which encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, violate the rights of others, or otherwise violate any applicable local, state, national or international law.
<hr></blockquote>

Wally_in_Cincy
10-25-2002, 09:28 AM
Hi Gayle,

A month ago I would not have agreed. But now I do. Too many anons have engaged in charachter assassination and inexcusable insults. One solution is to require registration in order to post. That seems pretty drastic but, as often happens, the misdeeds of the few have ruined it for the majority.

John in NH
10-25-2002, 10:26 AM
"There are times, though, when some who post here, use poor judgement, and insult others who are undeserving of their wrath. Often, they are the Anonymous posts. I believe in freedom of speach, and can accept the occasional little spats which surface through unavoidable misunderstandings, inherent in written communications. But, to allow people to use our treasured space here to degrade and attempt to destroy the character and reputation of members of our family here on the CCB, and leave us no alternative other than written responses in defense of undeserving victims, which can only add fuel to the fire, seems to me, to be rather irresponsible and uncaring. If there are reasons, of which I am not aware, why those who post here may do so anonymously, without even so much as a ficticious screen name, so that we may avoid their posts, and/or identify repeat offenders in advance, please explain them to me.

I suggest to you, if there is no other way for you to stay abreast of ill intended, vicioous attacks, that we be given the opportunity to elect a Mayor of our community, and I nominate "Tom in Cincy" to that position, and hope that you will atleast give him the means to enforce a "HOLD" period, with your assistance, so that cruel posts may be put on "Hold" for several days, allowing a cooling off period. Perhaps he could receive help, in this regard, when he is unable to check the board. Also, if there is a way this can be done, Tom should be able to call your attention to the posters who "Flame" members, with the intention of destroying their reputations, so that you can ban them from the board by blocking future posts. Surely there is something we can do here that will allow us to maintain a pleasant atmosphere, and avoid the loss of valued, knowledgeable members, such as Fran Crimi, from having to leave our board due to such unfortunate and undeserving attacks.
Thank you for the CCB,
Regards,
Gayle in Md"

Hi Gayle,

I agree with your assessment of the problems with the CCB forum, but eliminating the Anonymous posters from the CCB would not be the solution. The CCB Administration has to take responsibility for upholding the rules of the CCB forum as Tom In Cinci has correctly stated in his post.

Tom_In_Cincy
(Pooh-Bah)
10/25/02 11:20 AM
Re: ATTN . CCB ADMINISTRATION &amp; CCB FAMILY [re: Kato] Reply Quote

Kato,
There shouldn't be just one moderator in any forum. And, I agree, that this forum isn't at the same level that would require such a position.. but then again.. its getting closer to that point.

I would like to see some more enforcement of the rules of this board.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By using the Cue Chalk Board you agree not to post or transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind, including, but not limited to, any material which encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, violate the rights of others, or otherwise violate any applicable local, state, national or international law.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom In Cincy

Post Extras:

As long as the rules of the CCB forum are ignored by the Administration the CCB users will need to enter at their own risk, for me that means choosing not to respond to posters who are insincere in what they have to say, and have an axe to grind in relation to other users, that would include Anonymous posters as well.

I don't think having a moderator who is also a user of the forum is a good idea either. A moderator with that much power should not be allowed to interact with other users, he/she should only be allowed to communicate with others in response to questionable posts.

Regards,

John

10-25-2002, 11:30 AM
It takes two to create a flame war. Ignoring is the best policy,It works.These things never seem to start off as that bad but escalate and that takes two.

rackmup
10-25-2002, 11:48 AM
Post deleted by rackmup

rackmup
10-25-2002, 12:10 PM
Post deleted by rackmup

10-25-2002, 12:11 PM
omg a more coherent, long-winded version of the BW! u wouldn't know any details of fran's various flame wars. like u said u were away. and of course you would have no problem with fran calling wendy 'trailer trash' or physically threatening BW &amp; WW. u are just another partisan who wants to rally the troops. u have only been here for a short time and u presume to speak for the 'ccb family'? the nerve of it-amazing!!!!

at ur tender age(58) shouldn't u be doting on ur grandkids rather then turning the ccb into a jenny jones-like chat room for pool has-been groupies? we used to have tony mathews, george fels, q-guy, ####leonard setting the tone for our group. bob jewett even dropped in once or twice, took a look and left. that happened on the days u bombarded the board with ur stupid dowap posts. and everyone knows u are the main reason q-guy left the board. it is the likes of ur chatty, long-winded kind who have made these valuable contributors feel unwelcome. u are admittedly a rank beginner in pool but u can sure talk up a storm, mostly inane NPR garbage. i say good riddance to you!

nAz
10-25-2002, 12:58 PM
hehe
Damn!
and all this time i thought i was the reason they left.

~~~chat room NaZ weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

10-25-2002, 01:04 PM
Gayle is not guilty of these charges. She is guilty of being polite though. She was not here when Q-guy left so how can you blame her for that. Please explain.

Kato
10-25-2002, 01:13 PM
Interestingly enough Ken, you look an awful lot like George Clooney. Damn son, when you and I hook up we are gonna pull tons of chicks.

Kato~~~in the right light looks a little like Brad Pitt............well, not really

9 Ball Girl
10-25-2002, 01:23 PM
Fran and I are cool now. Bygones.

10-25-2002, 02:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Thank you for this forum, which we all enjoy! Most of the time, this is a great place to visit. There are times, though, when some who post here, use poor judgement, and insult others who are undeserving of their wrath. Often, they are the Anonymous posts. I believe in freedom of speach, and can accept the occasional little spats which surface through unavoidable misunderstandings, inherent in written communications. But, to allow people to use our treasured space here to degrade and attempt to destroy the character and reputation of members of our family here on the CCB, and leave us no alternative other than written responses in defense of undeserving victims, which can only add fuel to the fire, seems to me, to be rather irresponsible and uncaring. If there are reasons, of which I am not aware, why those who post here may do so anonymously, without even so much as a ficticious screen name, so that we may avoid their posts, and/or identify repeat offenders in advance, please explain them to me.

Thank you for the CCB,
Regards,
Gayle in Md <hr></blockquote>

I agree.. but I'm not a fan of censorship, and wouldn't want posts held for a cooling off period or anything. The only think I don't like about the board, is the allowance of anonymous posters. With anonymous posters, we don't know who is a good one, and who is a bad one, since there is no name, and therefore it's hard to ignore their posts.

SK &lt;--- votes "NO" on anonymous posting, now that he can log in. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

10-25-2002, 02:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> She was not here when Q-guy left so how can you blame her for that. Please explain. <hr></blockquote>

"I won't mention names, but some of you may remember that I had some trouble with a poster once, and eventually he left the board. Looking back, I regretted that I hadn't been more patient with him. I think that he just pushed my buttons a few times, and when he left the board, although it was later, and didn't really have to do with me, I felt bad about it because he really had a lot to offer as a poster and was very knowledgeable. "

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Gayle is not guilty of these charges. <hr></blockquote>

"Also, it was a great year for Tuna Fishing in O.C., and we sure got our share! BTW, My hubby agreed to First Mate with a Charter Fishing Captain friend of ours at the marina, so if anyone wants to charter a nice thirty-five foot Carolina Classic Sport Fishing Boat in OC next year, I'm that gal to e-mail, LOL.

Kato and Voodoo, what's up with you guys, you've become so cordial with one another, I miss the old "Gotcha" posts you two used to banter. You're getting so lovey dovey it's getting YUK! I'll have to think of a way to get you two stirred up, so I can sit here and roar with laughter like the old days!

Gayle in MD"

Kato
10-25-2002, 02:39 PM
That is what I looked like before I cut my hair. Honest. Really. Who do you guys think posed for all those book covers?

Kato

bluewolf
10-25-2002, 02:58 PM
I think that it is a shame that we have come to the point of considering not allowing anonymous posts. I have seen some really good posts by anons. But it has been really bad recently.It is hard to see the balance between the good that they offer and the harm that a minority of them do.I suspect that the informative anons outweigh the flaming anons and this is what happens in our society. Give the privilege, a few abuse it very badly, and then a new rule has to be enforced.

What i would suggest is this. Get a taskforce of 3-4 people who have been here long enough to know what ccb used to be like. Then those 3-4 people meet online with the ccb admin, discuss the situation and come up with a recommendation. Then all registered voters could vote on it.

Just my 2 cents worth.

bw

rackmup
10-25-2002, 03:06 PM
Post deleted by rackmup

9 Ball Girl
10-25-2002, 03:20 PM
I agree with Ken. And besides, some of those Anons that provide the good stuff might be some of the Pros or Open players. One never knows.

rackmup
10-25-2002, 04:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr>I agree with Ken.<hr></blockquote>
Is the WORLD coming to an END?

A woman agreeing with me. That's NEVER happened before!

/ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Regards,

Ken

TomBrooklyn
10-25-2002, 04:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Gayle in MD:</font><hr> If there are reasons, why those who post here may do so anonymously, without even so much as a ficticious screen name, so that we may identify repeat offenders in advance, please explain them to me. <hr></blockquote>Hi Gayle, I can think of a few reasons:

1.) Some people just want to drop in and make a post or two and don't feel like registering.

2.) Some well known personalities prefer not to make themselves known for obvious reasons associated with their celebrity. They may not even want to provide their email address even though it doesn't have to be visible to those on the forum. While they can get a new email address for free, but some may not want to bother, and some are not computer savvy.

3.) Unless the registering of screen names is closely monitored and tied in with IP addresses, anyone can make more than one screen name anyway. I don't think BD desires to pay someone to do this extra work.

4.) Having a ficticious screenname is convienent to telling who is who, but totally ineffective to knowing who they really are or where they come from which IP addresses give some clue to.

=TB=

TomBrooklyn
10-25-2002, 04:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Tom should be able to call your attention to the posters who "Flame" members, with the intention of destroying their reputations, so that you can ban them from the board by blocking future posts. <hr></blockquote> Gayle,

That is unneccessary.

Recently, a person who virulently made several vicious, senseless insults to a couple of others was in fact banned from the board by the Administrator without the need of a designated group moderator to bring it to their attention. Anyone, in fact, can send a personal message to cc-admin if they so desire.

=TB=

SPetty
10-25-2002, 09:17 PM
Wow... I guess I could never accuse Ken of trying to ply me with flattery here...

eg8r
10-25-2002, 11:49 PM
Rackmup,

C'mon now. I know that I am not as old as Onepocketchamp, but I think the picture comparison is ridiculous. Surely I am closer than a four year old. lol

eg8r

bluewolf
10-26-2002, 04:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> omg a more coherent, long-winded version of the BW! u wouldn't know any details of fran's various flame wars. like u said u were away. and of course you would have no problem with fran calling wendy 'trailer trash' or physically threatening BW &amp; WW. u are just another partisan who wants to rally the troops. u have only been here for a short time and u presume to speak for the 'ccb family'? the nerve of it-amazing!!!!
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>

&lt;snipped for brevity&gt;

anon, you do make some points here,although i did not interpret frans threat against myself and ww as being a physical one.

i for one, have done my share of damage here and posted too much.i have tried to change my way of doing things,but some here love to bring up stuff i said before i realized how bad i was goofing.the fran situation was a disaster. i took one of her posts personally,then since she was a celebrity I assumed that she spoke for the group, i decided it would be best if i left. then a flame war started. people were coming out of the woodwork flaming fran, assassinating her character and even her looks (never figured that one out as she is obviously very pretty). The flames kept coming like a snowball rolling downhill. Then fran attacked back and threatened myself and ww.then ww stirred up the pot somemore by a thread he started threatening fran back.of course he claimed he was being funny but i did not think it was funny at all and dont think my fellow ccbers thought it was funny either. At that point we got flamed. I apologized to fran on this forum since she didnt have pvt turned on and i did not know her email address.

Fran left. Many people were hurt including her friends. Time went by and ccb was getting back to normal somewhat. Then anon(s) were flaming fran again and other's defending her. This has opened a lot of sore wounds (mine included) that hadnt finished healing yet.

So to the anons, please let this go so that we can move on.

Fran isnt perfect but she has her good points too. I dont think she (or anybody else for that matter)deserved all of that extensive character assassination,but I dont think any of us deserves that either. At some point a line was crossed and the punishment exceeded the crime (the crime being actual or in the eyes of the perceived}.

I think that ccb used to be a very friendly place. Anons have contributed a lot in the three months I have been here. I would hate it if they were not allowed to post anymore.I do not think it is too late to change things. Perhaps I am being idealistic but if flamers (anons included) would stop flaming and others would stop flaming them back, maybe the old ccb would come back.

apologize for this being so long.

bw

CarolNYC
10-26-2002, 04:41 AM

CarolNYC
10-26-2002, 04:47 AM
Hey Gayle,
So much to say!
See you soon!
Carol

Gayle in MD
10-26-2002, 06:59 AM
Thank You for the support. In fact, I was here long before q-Guy left, but you are quite right, I was NOT a part of the thread that made him so mad that he left and deleted all his posts. He definately had a lot of knowledge about Pool, and I do wish he had stayed, as when we realized we clashed, we more or less agreed to avoid posting to one another.
I wonder, would it make any sense for the ANON. posters to use numeric identifications? What I am trying to figure out is a way that we can create a scenario that would allow us to know who the trouble makers are, since, as many have pointed out, we do have polite and valued ANON. posters here. If they had to use, ANON. 21, ANON 56, and so on, would those who post from work still be able to post? I don't know how their work computers are set up? I'm looking for suggestions folks! When I click onto the "Discussion Board" on the main page, BD recognizes me most of the time, and sets up my format automatically as I have requested, and I notice if only "Log Out" is highlighted at the top of the page, I don't have to sign in in order to reach my rrequested format. Occasionally, when "Log In" is there at the top, I have to sign in in order to get things set back up the way I have my preferences set. So I am wondering if those who wish to remain ANON can do so by using a numeric number. As you can probably tell, I'm no computer genius, LOL, just looking for ways to prevent these charaacter assasinations from occurring over and over.

Gayle in Md.

TomBrooklyn
10-26-2002, 07:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> I would like to see some more enforcement of the rules of this board.
Quote: By using the Cue Chalk Board you agree not to post or transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful,..... <hr></blockquote>One of the best ways to do that is to just notify the offenders ISP as many ISP's will not allow their subscribers to do those things either. Anyone can do that as you know. It doesn't have to be a moderator. You can tell who the ISP is from the posters IP Address as you know, and the ISP will know exactly what connection the post came from. =TB=

10-26-2002, 07:15 AM
I think you may be exhibiting a touch of Helsinki syndrome. You are just happy they are not attacking you at the moment, but give them time. Your new found friends will turn on you soon. Don't delude yourself into thinking they have let you into the clique, they can't be trusted. This forum functions with a mob mentality, they are a weird group. They much prefer this stuff then talking about pool.

bluewolf
10-26-2002, 07:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> I think you may be exhibiting a touch of Helsinki syndrome. You are just happy they are not attacking you at the moment, but give them time. Your new found friends will turn on you soon. Don't delude yourself into thinking they have let you into the clique, they can't be trusted. This forum functions with a mob mentality, they are a weird group. They much prefer this stuff then talking about pool. <hr></blockquote>

I would like to respond to you in pvt, but I cannot because u r anonymous.

bw

10-26-2002, 07:48 AM
It depends on your definition of trouble makers. In my opinion threads like this would qualify for deletion simply because they have nothing to do with the topic or intent of the website in the first place. Far more disruption of legitimate discussions happens as a result of a thread like this, than could ever happen from two posters having a little tiff. I was interested in a thread yesterday about do it yourself cue repair and some machines one can set up. That thread is long gone and replaced by this crap. It will probably not get any more input, I FEEL CHEATED. I come here to learn and the info is for sure available here if it was not for self absorbed threads like this. Having said that, I will not add any more to the problem. My next post, if any, will be pool, billiard, snooker, etc, related only. That is my personal rule from now on and that is the solution to the problem.
Thank you.

10-26-2002, 08:07 AM
I mente to say Stockholm syndrome. My mind wanders sometimes.