PDA

View Full Version : ESPN - Cheering for basic shape!?

10-25-2002, 11:44 AM
I notice that on ESPN the audience (most of them pool players themselves) applaud "basic shape" and long shots. Yet when I'm in a tournament, playing or watching, I notice that most of the players, myself included, make some great kicks, safeties, shots, etc. and no one says a word! When I'm playing in a match I acknowledge when my opponent makes a great run, etc. When I'm watching others play, I applaud and get very excited when I see some of the amazing things that the players do (I even say yahoo, when I'm practicing and do it myself)...yet I'm amazed that other players say nothing when watching matches where the players make "great shape", kicks, etc. Why? Why not cheer when the average Joe's and Jill's play great, yet cheer when players on television get basic shape? I know that Steve Tipton hypes the intros (I've been those tourneys) but I'm talking about cheering during play.

just curious.
lb

10-25-2002, 11:46 AM
I was shocked and puzzled by this too, when I first saw this happening on ESPN.

Then when I was actually present at the filming of a WPBA tournament for ESPN, Steve Tipton was encouraging the audience to be very active, applauding and cheering at anything. Says it makes it more exciting for TV. So the audience applauded EVERY FRICKIN' SHOT.

I think it kinda degrades the sport, myself.

Doctor_D
10-25-2002, 11:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Mike:</font><hr> I was shocked and puzzled by this too, when I first saw this happening on ESPN.

Then when I was actually present at the filming of a WPBA tournament for ESPN, Steve Tipton was encouraging the audience to be very active, applauding and cheering at anything. Says it makes it more exciting for TV. So the audience applauded EVERY FRICKIN' SHOT.

I think it kinda degrades the sport, myself. <hr></blockquote>

Good afternoon:

Absolutely! They even cheer when a safety has been played.

/ccboard/images/icons/shocked.gif

Dr. D.

Chris Cass
10-25-2002, 11:54 AM
Good question lb,

I myself will say something if the player, I'm playing or watching makes a shot that is really extraordinary or something, that I myself have difficulty with. Those shots are becoming far and inbetween as the level of play becomes higher. Not that it's so superior but because, it's keeping it simple that makes the best play.

JMHO,

C.C.~~KISS pool all the way baby and will say something after the match....

10-25-2002, 12:52 PM
dr. d why wouldn't they cheer a good safety?

10-25-2002, 01:11 PM
I was wondering the same thing (regarding Dr D's comment), playing good safeties is the key to winning most matches. I know some "not to serious" players that think playing a safety is cowardly, however, we know that playing safe is "smart" pool.

lb

10-25-2002, 01:41 PM
They cheer for any legal shot in those matches! I saw Ewa and Karen playing on ESPN, and I swear all either one of them had to do was make a legal hit to get applause! And, I hate to say it, but Mitch Lawrence isn't really the greatest comentator I've heard. So far, I haven't been impressed with many ESPN matches ... BUT, you gotta start somewhere, and pool is in desperate need at the moment.

10-25-2002, 02:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Joe Bloe:</font><hr> They cheer for any legal shot in those matches! I saw Ewa and Karen playing on ESPN, and I swear all either one of them had to do was make a legal hit to get applause! And, I hate to say it, but Mitch Lawrence isn't really the greatest comentator I've heard. So far, I haven't been impressed with many ESPN matches ... BUT, you gotta start somewhere, and pool is in desperate need at the moment. <hr></blockquote>

Your comments on Mitch Lawrence are generous. I think a more accurate comment would be that he is completely clueless as to what happens and is supposed to happen on a Pool table, and is not qualified in any way to be performing commentary on a professional Pool match.

Pool on ESPN leaves quite a lot to be desired. Their production is bad, mostly due to not showing all of the games and having horrible commentary. The quality of Pool is also often below that of what most of these pro's are capable of. They two main reasons for that are the 30 second shot clock, and the start-stop-start-stop rhythm of play enforced between games. How do I know this? I know lots of those pro's and some of them have told me those two reasons personally.

I have seen amateur players with little-to-no exposure to professional Pool comment on this and other BBS's on their puzzlement to never seeing Pool on TV as they have heard about. They are confused about hearing stories of 8 straight racks of 9-ball, etc., and then they turn on ESPN to see the best pro's in the world, and rarely if ever see Pool even approaching that level of play.

10-25-2002, 03:29 PM
I was attempting to be nice and keep the Anonymorons from flaming me. They're already on me for saying it was nitty to take a game away from Steve Knight for not calling a hanger! /webbbs/images/icons/laugh.gif

Voodoo Daddy
10-25-2002, 08:57 PM
The cheering kills me, most crowds will cheer for a stiff draft. When they really need to cheer hard they just clap...like when a great safe is laid down {when a hardy cheer has merit}. NOT when the nine is crapped in like I've seen in the past. I hope I hear those cheers again someday....