PDA

View Full Version : c.b. turns purple??



10-27-2002, 02:12 PM
ok, this is pretty strange. i've got a red cicle c.b. that i don't use much. lately, it's been sitting on the windowsill to take out some of the yellow.

yesterday, i used some "softsoap" to clean it up and, right before my eyes, the thing turned a kind of splotchy purple. now, the soap had been sitting a while and what came out was clear instead of white, as soon as it hit the ball, the ball started changing color. actually got pretty dark. looks like it will probably change back over time but...???

anyone???

dan

PQQLK9
10-27-2002, 02:29 PM
I had a similiar experience when I washed a Red Circle and a Blue Dot cue ball with some sort of lemon flavored dishwashing detergent ... the Red circle came out unscathed but the Blue dot turned a beautiful shade of pinkish,brownish,maroonish color and has remained so for a year or so.....
When it was changing it actually looked like it was "bleeding"...go figure...

ObeOne
10-27-2002, 02:33 PM
I had the same thing happen. I used softscrub on my cueball (came with the aramith premier ball set), and it turned pinkish purple... looked like the cueball had some sort of rash /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Doctor_D
10-27-2002, 02:52 PM
Good afternoon;

Could it be, in-spite of a seemingly solid surface, that the cue ball is actually pourous and thus became full of chalk?

Dr. D.

Alfie
10-27-2002, 05:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doctor_D:</font><hr> Could it be, in-spite of a seemingly solid surface, that the cue ball is actually pourous and thus became full of chalk? <hr></blockquote> Pool balls are nonporous. The effect is from a chemical reaction.

griffith_d
10-27-2002, 07:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr> ok, this is pretty strange. i've got a red cicle c.b. that i don't use much. lately, it's been sitting on the windowsill to take out some of the yellow.

yesterday, i used some "softsoap" to clean it up and, right before my eyes, the thing turned a kind of splotchy purple. now, the soap had been sitting a while and what came out was clear instead of white, as soon as it hit the ball, the ball started changing color. actually got pretty dark. looks like it will probably change back over time but...???

anyone???

dan <hr></blockquote>

I would say also it is a chemical reaction with the soap. Balls are made from a petroleum distilate(phenolic resin) and how many times have you seen a purple hue when a drop of oil gets on a puddle of water.

A scientific guesstamation.

Griff

Dafatman
10-28-2002, 12:24 AM
I'm not washing my balls tonight with this stuff.......

Rod
10-28-2002, 12:38 AM
Never had the problem Dan, I have washed them in very diluted powdered soap. Most of the time I just wipe them off with alcohol on a rag. That worked better for chalk marks than any soap. Strange

~~ what's that Hendrix song, purple haze -- no help

Fred Agnir
10-28-2002, 08:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr> ok, this is pretty strange. i've got a red cicle c.b. that i don't use much. lately, it's been sitting on the windowsill to take out some of the yellow.<hr></blockquote>

Did that work? I would have guessed that the ball would have turned more yellow because of the sunlight.


<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: HD:</font><hr> yesterday, i used some "softsoap" to clean it up and, right before my eyes, the thing turned a kind of splotchy purple. <hr></blockquote>
People have reported in the past that household cleaners will turn the cueball strange colors. It's a chemical reaction. From all reports, it's not just one cleaner. Softscrub might turn it pink. Clorox might turn in brown.

Anyway, IMO, the best solution is to buy a new cueball. Then, with the old cueball, read and try this and report back:

<a target="_blank" href=http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=20000505150024.14577.00003298%40ng-ch1.aol.com&amp;oe=UTF-8&amp;output=gplain>http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=20000505150024.14577.00003298%40ng-ch1.aol.com&amp;oe=UTF-8&amp;output=gplain</a>

Fred

10-28-2002, 09:53 AM
well, fred (or ron s.) it worked like a charm. i keep some vinegar handy for coffee-pot maintenance (doesn't everyone?) and, sure enough, as soon as i dipped the red circle in a glass of vinegar, full strength, to heck with dilution, it started fading. half hour later and it's good as new. fred, you may now put a gold star on your forehead and i'm officially taking back fully half of the nasty stuff i've said about you. (humor alert! that is attempted humor)

in answer to your question; yes, sitting it in the sun was changing it from yellow to white but slowly. after a year and a half in a black velvet bag, that c.b. was very, very yellow. just compared it to the blue circle and i think the vinegar faded out the last of the yellow too.

hummm...does sunlight have vinegar in it???

dan...pretty kewl, this chemistry stuff.

Fred Agnir
10-28-2002, 10:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr> well, fred (or ron s.) it worked like a charm. i keep some vinegar handy for coffee-pot maintenance (doesn't everyone?) and, sure enough, as soon as i dipped the red circle in a glass of vinegar, full strength, to heck with dilution, it started fading. <hr></blockquote>

I'm glad it worked. I've never had the balls to try it on mine.


<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>fred, you may now put a gold star on your forehead and i'm officially taking back fully half of the nasty stuff i've said about you. (humor alert! that is attempted humor)<hr></blockquote>

I'm confused. Can I still put the gold star on my forehead?

Fred &lt;~~~ too late

10-28-2002, 09:03 PM
It's possible the vinegar may have taken the outer coating off of the c-ball. I doubt that the only effect the vinegar had was to brighten the color. You may eventually find yourself with chalk marks on the c-ball that may not come off so easily. Just a guess but let us know if that happens.