PDA

View Full Version : Point to ponder

10-27-2002, 03:00 PM
There is nothing in the movement of a Pool Stroke so difficult, that it can't be made even more difficult through careful study and dilligent practice.

Chris Cass
10-27-2002, 04:54 PM
How true. It's more true when your talking pattern play.

C.C.

10-29-2002, 12:39 PM
I know what you mean CC. It's fine and dandy to think 3 balls ahead, you know..."where can i land for the second ball in order to get an angle for the third", and on and on, but i fine that while this is good training, it's way to ponderous a consious effort. Now i see patterns, and advance in groups. This i can do at a glance. Haveing said that, the best person i ever saw work patterns is our own CCB's 'Priest of Pool' LOL ####. His Staight Pool experience (VAST i assure you) has him seeing patterns where there isn't any! Awsome to watch, it realy is a special tallent. St

10-29-2002, 01:10 PM
Hi Stretch, hows it goin with all your new pool buddies and your new location? I was going to drop you an e-mail but I had to reformat my old computer and I lost your address. I have a new sparring partner ( also Bill ) that I hook up with every other week. He was the 2000 open provincial snooker champion and is now turning all his attention to 9-ball. He won both ranking tournaments out of Sydney and is giving me a pretty good thumping. I came as close as 9-7, so I have nowhere to go but up.LOL. I just wanted to say hello and hope to hookup with ya sometime in the future. If your ever up this way, give me a call. Terry

10-29-2002, 06:21 PM
You bet Terry! Great to here from you. St

10-29-2002, 06:29 PM
So when someone has a flaw in their stroke that is consistently hurting their game, what would your advice be?

Glad I've never listened to anyone like yourself. There are too many idiots (yes, idiots) dispensing worthless advice like this. Glad I've had a couple of professional coaches to listen to for a few years now.

Rod
10-29-2002, 06:40 PM
Yep that's for sure. Kind of makes one wonder why we do this to ourselves. Isn't that kind of like shooting yourself in the foot over and over?

10-29-2002, 06:44 PM
Hi Rod!

Let me put forth a question for you...

Suppose a player has a particular flaw in their stroke, that is causing them to make the same mistake over and over. Nearly on every single shot they take. This flaw seriously impacts their game. What should that player do?

10-29-2002, 07:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Stretch:</font><hr> There is nothing in the movement of a Pool Stroke so difficult, that it can't be made even more difficult through careful study and dilligent practice. <hr></blockquote>

It IS difficult to move a cuestick perfectly strait every time, for every shot, in a race to 11. It takes time and practice. I guess for someone who just bangs the balls around, I could see how a person would ask what is so difficult about pool, but for those of us who play position, and don't want to miss a shot, we refine our stroke to almost perfection.

Rod
10-29-2002, 07:24 PM
Well drinking might be a cure, course you'll feel bad the next day. lol Just kidding Mike, if someone has a flaw that is repetitious, and it usually is to an extent then something as simple as alignment might help. Without seeing it, it's anyone guess. I'd have someone qualified look and diagnose where the problem/s start. Players video themselves to see what they are doing, but without a trained eye and knowledge this may be futile. This person with the flaw isn't likely be aware or understand what they see.

Doomsday Machine
10-29-2002, 08:01 PM
This makes absolutely NO SENSE !! Anything that requires expert hand-eye coordination will improve through careful study and diligent practice and can be related to many different types of sports. Do you really think the following athletes did NOT study and practice to get to the skill level they are (or were) ??:

Ted Williams hitting a baseball
Tiger Woods hitting a 350 yard drive
Larry Bird shooting a 3 pointer
Pete Weber bowling a 300 game
Wayne Gretzky shooting a wristshot
Nolan Ryan striking out his 5,000th batter

The actual pool stroke is only one part of the game, planning, position play, safety play, breaking, etc., etc. also take careful study &amp; diligent practice to obtain a high level of success in any billiard related sport.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-30-2002, 07:30 AM
I have to disagree here buddy. You're a real strong player and probably have a great stroke so maybe you don't need to practice it. However, those of us in the lower echelons do need that practice and refinement to obtain more consistent results.

10-30-2002, 01:15 PM
Hi Wally! I probably should have put a smiley thing at the end of my post to indicate that it was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek statement.

On another level however i do believe that the stroke has to be automatic to be at it's best, pure reaction. The Difficulty comes when you introduce some change in order to fix something or improve upon it. That takes thousands of hits to commit to muscle memory and repeat consistantly. So yes, the work has to be done......THEN it's easy. lol St (loves the variety of responses. That's what ponderings all about LOL)

10-30-2002, 02:12 PM
Paralysis by analysis!

10-30-2002, 02:18 PM
This is what I was talking about in another post. So many people here just lurk and wait for someone to say something, then jump all over them. I look at the guy's post, and see a humorous comment. Harmless humor. It is true that all of us, at some time or another, get too caught up in mechanics, and forget to just play. This post was nothing more than satire. Why flame the guy?

bluewolf
10-30-2002, 03:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Stretch:</font><hr>
On another level however i do believe that the stroke has to be automatic to be at it's best, pure reaction. The Difficulty comes when you introduce some change in order to fix something or improve upon it. That takes thousands of hits to commit to muscle memory and repeat consistantly. So yes, the work has to be done......THEN it's easy. lol St (loves the variety of responses. That's what ponderings all about LOL) <hr></blockquote>

This is what happened to me in my three months of play. Going to scotts lesson and randy gs pool school i learned a lot and nearly perfected my stroke. in between all that,living with a seven, i was changing my bridge,stance, eye movements and other things so often, but i wasnt getting any better. sure i had a good stroke now,got better at safety and ball speed control but didnt improve very much on ball pocketing percentage.

yesterday, i got real lose and just i guess stroked the ball naturally. all of a sudden, i didnt have to worry about how i was standing or any aiming system. since i figure that out standing up, all i had to do was position myself like i was sighting down a rifle and so my stroke was not hindered and could flow through smooth and loose. i did not care any more about position or ball pocketing.i was just drunk with the feel of the stroke and follow through and wanted to do this over and over again.

i dont know if this sounds weird or if any of you have experienced this feeling of drunkedness with the feel of the cue and my arm in perfect harmony, without a care in the world.

i can practice next week but today i need to focus on loose, since i did not even know what it was.

bw

10-30-2002, 04:57 PM
I look at his post and see an idiot misleading lower-skilled players with very bad advice. I'm tired of seeing this happen in Pool halls and on the Internet.

The reason why I have lurked recently (I've actually posted almost twice as many posts as you have) is that there is not much point in posting. Those of us that actually have some advanced knowledge on the subject matter at hand and have something to offer here are greeted with idiotic comments from weak ball-bangers like "That's probably because I live in Ohio where there's lots of great players" and "Well, I saw so-and-so do it, and I've never seen someone hit the balls so hard!" Why do you think the most knowledgable posters here have left? Because we aren't listened to anyway. We just get into arguments with D and C players spouting terrible advice.

So you can add me to the list of people that are leaving.

10-30-2002, 05:11 PM
Admittedly, some of what you say I agree with, but I'm not one of the C or D players you're referring to. I don't know Stretch at all. I have no idea how he plays. However, I do think his post was in jest.

See ya.

10-30-2002, 05:19 PM
You are absolutely correct Joe. You are not anyone I was referring to in my post. I hope it didn't appear that was the case.

Chris Cass
10-30-2002, 07:25 PM
Oh Mike and Doom,

You both couldn't be more wrong about Stretch's comment. Please hear me out. I've known Stretch for quite some time now. He rode up to take lessons with Fran and #### Leonard and meant nothing more than merely pointing out. We all need to sit back and laugh at ourselves, once in awhile.

Practicing and getting our stroke smooth, (not going into the rest of the game that takes yrs. of study to get perfected) takes time and a lot of patience.

What his jest was about, was we need to laugh at ourselves for over analizing ourself and for the length of distance the arm really travels to think about it, is funny. We're talking what, a foot to hit the cb?

Stretch should have noted this was in jest, as he admitted. It wasn't to throw the beginners out there, a curve ball. We do need to look at this as simplistic as possible or the KISS theroy.

My game? Well, about a yr. ago. I restructured my entire mechanics from the ground up. Even in my thinking from total R/brain to both R&amp;L/brain thinking. This, I've done through video and tons of burning into muscle memory. I'm talking one yr. I'm like rated a AAAA at one ph and a A level at another. I've been around the game for 30 yrs on and off quiting and going back 6 times. Still, after all this I'm putting time into the game to revamp everything.

Level of play is merely a pigion hole that someone stuffs someone into. We are students for life and I totally agree 100% with the anger you feel as a advance player, to put out misleading advice to someone that's starting out and trying to get somewhere is uncalled for. It's rough and shouldn't be taken lightly. Stretch, isn't like that in any way.

The board has been through hell lately with the flaming BS and it's posters are at the end of their ropes. I know this to be true. Please, for me, don't let this upset you and lets take a second out to laugh at ourselves. I for one am a good example. I've been playing for 30 yrs and still fall into a slump and lost my mind. LOL That's pretty stupid or this game is really tough to get down. LOL

Best regards my friends and please don't go anywhere,

C.C.~~Nobody moves and nobody gets hurt. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

11-01-2002, 11:20 AM
Thankyou Chris. And to Mike and Doom, i'm sorry that my comment ticked you off. Believe me, yes it was meant in jest. But it did encourage some insightfull dialogue. From it we all learn.

Respectfully, Stretch

Chris Cass
11-01-2002, 11:48 AM
Hi Stretch,

It's not any of you. It's just the way it's been going around here. The pins and needles thing you know.

/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif,

C.C.