PDA

View Full Version : Prayers For Playing Good Pool

TomBrooklyn
10-27-2002, 11:07 PM
Does anybody have any good prayers for playing good pool or something similar?

=TB=

Rod
10-28-2002, 12:46 AM
Don't know any Tom. I found practice and being prepared works wonders.

10-28-2002, 07:47 AM
I'm not sure this what you're looking for but...every time my opponent misses a shot or fouls...I say to myself..."Thank god, there IS a Pool God"...

Uncle Ron in SC

Wally_in_Cincy
10-28-2002, 09:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Does anybody have any good prayers for playing good pool or something similar?

=TB= <hr></blockquote>

My girlfriend prays before or during an important match. Personally I don't think God cares who wins a stupid pool game but it works for her. I would be more likely to pray for my fellow tavern league players to make it home safely /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

PQQLK9
10-28-2002, 10:23 AM
Hey Wally...those Bengals could use some prayers.../ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

10-28-2002, 12:18 PM
I'm an Athiest. But maybe you could try the prayer Alan Shepard recited shortly before becoming the first American in space...

"Dear Lord, please don't let me f--k up." - Alan Shepard
/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Vicki
10-28-2002, 03:19 PM
Tom,

What are yours? I need a good one tonight. Any help would be appreciated.

PS - I'd like to burry the hatchet if it's ok with you.

Vicki

Mr Ingrate
10-28-2002, 04:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Does anybody have any good prayers for playing good pool or something similar?

=TB= <hr></blockquote>

Sometime ago I started a pool prayer based on the 23rd psalm (I think) and Lester finished it. Anyway I will start it again and hopefully he will jump in and finish it.

The Lord is my stakehorse, I shall not lose.

TomBrooklyn
10-28-2002, 04:40 PM
Sorry Vicky, I don't have one. I saw the preacherman was around so I thought he would have something.

I can tell you this though, what you really believe you can do, you will probably be able to do. And what you believe you deserve is more or less what you'll get. That's the way the universe works. Good luck.

=TB=

phil in sofla
10-28-2002, 04:45 PM
Not really prayers, but self-help efforts at mental hygiene, especially to counteract 'stinkin' thinkin' negative self talk, would be to use affirmations.

The Pro Book has a couple pages full of them, the Monk has some materials on that as well.

Basically, the idea is to make it a habit to say or look at a series of positive statements about your game, on a daily or more frequent basis. They can be true now about your game, or true about what you want your game to become.

Some people make flash cards, others tape them to their bathroom mirror or wherever they'll see them on a regular basis (refrigerator?), others tape their own voice reciting them, and some then multi-track music over them, to where the statements are just inaudible (but supposedly still accessible subliminably).

This is part of the Psycho-Cybernetics/power of positive thinking program to make your life what you want it to be (in pool or wherever), and something those who don't swear at the very notion swear by. Like most things in life, it is the repetition and consistency that is supposed to make it work.

I credit a couple like 'I'm at my best when the going is roughest' and 'I love pressure and perform my best under pressure' with my being able to win something like 7 out of 8 hill-hill matches for my league team a season ago when I was playing the case game, a performance far above my typical win percentages. (I guess I need to work on some for less pressured situations, LOL!!!). I credit those affirmations, and the hypnotically induced trance state I have some post-hypnotic suggestions for, which is calming and supposed to produce a mental state conducive to getting into dead stroke.

cheesemouse
10-28-2002, 06:40 PM
Father, Son, and the Holy ghost
whoever shoots the hardest gets the most.

Cuemage
10-28-2002, 06:44 PM
God is good,
God is great.
Please O'God,
let me sink tha 9 on tha break!

or how about...

Deep and wide
Deep and wide.
Please god make tha pockets deep &amp; wide...

I'll try most anything once...

Tha Cuemage

10-28-2002, 09:33 PM
My prayer when competing:

Dear God, please let me get back to the table one more time! I promise I won't screw up like I just did.

10-29-2002, 01:05 PM
Here's a quicky.

....Now i lay me down on hill,

I prey the Lord those pockets to fill.

And if die, before i break.

Shoot the son of a @itch. lol St