PDA

View Full Version : Question for Luke Riches?

ted harris
10-28-2002, 06:01 PM
While visiting the UPA website and reading their Mosconi Cup story, I noticed that the players representing the United States would be decided at the Lucasi Open in Atlanta over this past weekend. The following is a quote from there website;

US Mosconi Cup Team
Finalized at Lucasi Atlanta Open
The Inaugural Lucasi Atlanta Open
will be the last ranking point event
to determine the US Mosconi Cup Team for 2002 to be played in London, England in December.
The top five U.S. ranked UPA players in the seeded ranking
will have the honor of representing their country against Team Europe.
For more information on the prestigious event go to MatchroomSport.com

Since Earl Strickland has been "resigned" from the UPA, and his name is NOT on the UPA points list, I am a little confused.!
I have couple of questions for you?

1) Does this mean that 3 time World Champion Earl Strickland
(1990, 1991, 2002), and 6 time WINNING team captain (1996-2001) AND 5 time US Open 9-ball Champion (1984-87-93-97-2000) is going to be excluded from participating on the 2002 US Mosconi Cup Team?

and regarding the issue surrounding the UPA and US Open 9-ball Championships;

2) Is the US Open going be a consideration for the players in whether or not they gets to participate in Matchroom Sports World Pool Championships?

Thank you for your time,
Ted Harris

Buckster_uk
10-29-2002, 04:53 AM
Ted, look on the response on azbilliards from me.

Luke Riches
10-29-2002, 05:06 AM
The teams for the 2002 Mosconi Cup were announced live on Sky Sports News yesterday evening by Barry Hearn, Steve Davis and Earl Strickland (that should give you at least two of the protagonists!). Full press release today.

Luke