PDA

View Full Version : ??? Effects of Girlfriend on, "Pool Players"

03-06-2002, 03:37 AM
My curiosity is killing me. For you serious, male, "pool players" out there, have any of you found that your pool game goes down when you find a girlfriend? Even if they play somewhat decent pool and practice regularly and are very involved with pool? Why or how would a girlfriend effect your pool game?

Chris Cass
03-06-2002, 03:47 AM
Hi Hilla Hilla,
Unless she's talking to you when your shooting, No. It is a good excuse to blame when you miss a shot though. As far as the effects of a relationship will have it's toll on the game. If you want to devote 100% of your self in the game. It's hard to do both. Your mind can't be thinking of anything else but pool and unless your mate will support you and deal well with the seperation times going to all the events. Only coming back for doing the deed. Then, a relationship wouldn't last IMO. The partner would feel abused.
Good Question,
C.C.

CarolNYC
03-06-2002, 04:03 AM
I see this thread come up very often regarding girlfriends,mates,etc. with pool players-the very important factor, i believe , is , in a relationship, there must be committment, support,honesty and especially communication!It works both ways-if your mate supports your career goal, then you , in turn must support hers and she must love and accept you for WHO YOU ARE! But if you devote your entire hours of the day shooting pool, well to hell with that-you must have some time together-quality time-also, if she's just an annoying blabber mouth, kick her to the curb!
Carol~plays pool around her family life and is very happy!

Kato
03-06-2002, 08:46 AM
Women (steady) have always had a positive impact on my game. That is usually when I feel like the starz are aligned and I'm bulletproof. It's wierd, my confidence is usually through the ceiling. If she plays pool that's all the better but certainly not necessary. There is plenty of hours in the day to do both and do both well.

Kato~~~~doing 1 thing poorly and 1 thing not at all

cuechick
03-06-2002, 11:24 AM
Judging from your profile, I am assuming that your boyfriend may have blamed you for a problem with his game. Life is all about balance, we are all spinning plates and of course it is easier to spin one than severel; but ultimatly life would be pretty dull even if that one plate is pool. There was a time when I was playing everyday, 4 to 8 hours. Obession is never a good thing and my relationships and career and even my health suffered. I feel I have found a much better balance and am enjoying my sport even more.
As long as you are supportive and encouraging you are doing nothing wrong. I would strongly suggest you not practice with him or have him coach you. Find another mentor and your own games in the pool room. I have NEVER seen nor experianced a healthy cross of mentor-boyfriend...tensions always arise.
He needs to seek his own balance and might be encouraged when he sees you exercise some independence.

03-06-2002, 11:51 AM
I found that I shot much better when I had a gf. A good relationship with someone calms you, puts you more at peace, and makes you more happy. This helps concetration and confidence dramatcially. Of course, a bad relationship has opposite effects.

stickman
03-06-2002, 12:29 PM
Girlfriends okay, but the lady that runs the local poolhall swears that she looses a customer everytime one gets married. LOL When I got married, she didn't loose me, but I have to admit, I don't practically live there anymore.

03-06-2002, 12:49 PM
I play less, because I have a girlfriend. But my game doesn't suffer because of her. It is the lack of practice that does it.

Chris Cass
03-06-2002, 01:51 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA,
Oh poor Kato,
Now you know what marriage feels like. HAHAHA..... Just kidding. I feel your pain brother. Some day some lucky woman will see all the fine qualities you have. Your a good man and a good friend too. Then your pool game will rise but still the other may stay the same. LOL
Just trying to help,
C.C.

03-06-2002, 02:44 PM
My last girlfriend was great for my Pool game. She was a pro from Taiwan, and played better than I did. I did a lot of practicing with her, and a lot of travelling with her to tournaments.

The girlfriend before that, however, was terrible for my Pool game. She didn't like Pool, she didn't like Pool players, and she didn't like Pool halls. I just couldn't get time to play. Needless to say, that realationship didn't last. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Rod
03-06-2002, 03:27 PM
Quote,
My curiosity is killing me. For you serious, male, "pool players" out there, have any of you found that your pool game goes down when you find a girlfriend? Even if they play somewhat decent pool and practice regularly and are very involved with pool? Why or how would a girlfriend effect your pool game?

I didn't find one, she found me. The only time she could effect my game is when we play together. I use to work with her to improve her game, and she liked that and did improve. However when it comes to playing with a partner including me she will not listen or take any advice. It gets frustrating when someone waves you off and then plays the shot wrong or misses regular shots. Case in point, we were playing once and it was her shot. She got down to shoot and I tried to get her attention. Well I get the wave off to leave her alone, no way can I offer any help since she can make three balls in a row sometimes. I had to raise my voice and she said, leave me alone I know what I'm doing.
My reply was, well would you at least shoot the right ball. The 3 was next and she was shooting at the 4 ball! Since we have played, and I never say anything. In partners your only as good as your weakest link, per-say.

I had to give it up, because she wants me as a partner and likes to gamble a little. I got tired of throwing my money away. We do not play together and I do not give her lessons anymore, and life is more peaceful now. I know there are men that do the same, so it's not just the women. But when a person will not listen, or ask or take advice, then your not what I consider partners anymore. I'll ask or receive because sometimes the other person has a preference where you leave the cue ball, not to mention other factors. Other than that short lived episode, no problems here.

BTW your B/F Shane played here some years ago and got in some local tournaments way under rated. Its easier to win when you lay down to get a rating. That's long ago and no big deal to me, but at the time he upset a few people in town. Like I say no big deal but I rarely forget a name and face.

03-06-2002, 07:08 PM
The first few months, the game is better. Once the "relational games" begin though, you can count on losing part of your game. Very, very few GFs are balanced enough to cope with a man and pool competing with their desires to eventually change you. It is all a matter of time unless you happen to be blessed and realy find one that is unique....sid~~~been there, done that and have the hidden emotional scars to prove it, but would still take the chance again 'cause it's the natural but whacky basic need

03-06-2002, 11:57 PM
My game before marriage.... Solid "A"

My game after/during marriage... solid "B"

For me this is very frustrating. I am starting to play/practice more, but I don't know if I will ever play like I used to due to "grown up" responsibilities.
Maybe I can improve my letter grade when I get my "home study course" (AKA Diamond Pro /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif )

03-07-2002, 12:24 AM
marry a pool player. then they will understand the life you lead. i understand that females don't generally understand pool life, but ANYONE that doesn't play WILL NOT understand it. find someone understanding. never ever be in the position to choose. NEVER CHOOSE. always know the capacities and boundaries of the relationship and NEVER EVER have your spouse BACK YOU. if you both play pool at the same pool hall, REMAIN friends, or else you will lose practice time. never EVER date the person who TAUGHT you to play.

that is my advice not as a woman, but as a player to another player.