PDA

View Full Version : Major Slump

Chris Cass
10-28-2002, 10:53 PM
Well,

I seem to be in a Major Slump. I can't seem to get my head above water. My pre-shot isn't pulling me through this and it seems to be mentally effecting my play.

The last 4 tourneys that I've entered have been brutal. I've had some terrible showings. The first 3 tourneys all the first match opponents have beaten me and either taken 1st or second. The forth this hadn't happen.

The first being Larry Nevel in the first round. After losing to Larry he went on to win the event. I lost the loser brack round to Mike a guy from Sterling, Il.

The second one I lost to Tom McClusky a formatable opponent in my first round and he took second in the tourney. I won 2 matches, one buy and lost my third. I made a whopping $175. Cedar Rapids, IA.

The third tourney, I had David Matlock first round draw and after telling a guy that was standing at the leader board. That, for the last 2 tourneys the guy that beat me in the first round went on to win the tourney. I told him to bet all his doe on Matlock if he gets past me. Sure enough, David beats me and he takes off the tourney. I won one match and lost after that. I won on the side a grand total of $104. of course my expenses were more than that. Olathe, KS.

My last tourney I get Tom McClusky again first round and beat him. He didn't take the tourney off. Then, I get my friend Jesse B. and lose. Then, I get Jamie B.and lose. Their not related. Anyway, I play on the side and win a hundred. 9ball bar box giving the 8 wild to the guy. I put a 5 pack on him after winning the flip. I won the race to 7, 7-1. He quits after the 7 offer. Then, I hook up with another opponent I win the first set for a hundred race to 7 9ball bar box. Then, jack the bet to $200. and lose the set on stupid mental errors, I'll later explain.

Tonight, I play a guy 4 ahead 8ball for $300. A road dog from MI. This was run out 8 on a 9ft. Another had $100. of the action pulled up after losing the game rather quickly. Maybe an hr. max. I played another match for $200. my own again and sure enough, I sold the damm thing out again. I had opportunity and it wasn't all that bad.

Mentally, I'm in bad shape. It's like I'm not even there. I was told from a friend that I wasn't shooting my game. I was checking out everything way too much. Second guessing myself and all queered out. I don't know what my problem is but I need to stay away for awhile. I can't keep taking a bath like this.

Anyway, I have Burlington, Ia. tourney coming up and don't want to walk in and stink up the place. I'm at the point, I'm scarred to shoot. Help, what's your advice. Please don't mention sweat the money. I don't and been gambling for quite some time. It's the brain farts or what ever you call it when your running on 24 brain cells.

Regards,

C.C.~~flustered, help Leonard, Voodoo, Rod, Kato, Kato? Anyone with insite or having initials from A-Z in their name. Hell, I would take advice from an alien this time. Naa, scratch that part.

10-28-2002, 11:44 PM
I get in slumps like this quite often. I'm not the caliber player that you are, but everyone gets in slumps. Tough it out man, you'll get out of your slump. This might not be the best advice, but it's the way it's always happened to me.

10-29-2002, 12:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> Well,

I seem to be in a Major Slump. Regards,

C.C.~~flustered, help Leonard, Voodoo, Rod, Kato, Kato? Anyone with insite or having initials from A-Z in their name. Hell, I would take advice from an alien this time. Naa, scratch that part.

<hr></blockquote>

well, i'm not sure if i qualify as an alien, maybe some places, but i've got a thought or two.

number one, i do not believe in the term "slump". always, the evil is worse once you put a name to it. if forced, i'll use a term like "a time of forgetting how to shoot" or maybe "hell".

went thru one of those a month ago and came out shooting better than before. that's my main thesis: if you're an overall good player, devoting the time necessary and you hit one of those "bad" periods, it's more often than not, your body/mind digesting and applying some change and you'll be a better shooter when you come back out of that "period".

or, you lose whatever small talent you once had and take up darts.

dan

Voodoo Daddy
10-29-2002, 12:09 AM
My man Chirs...suffering from over-trying? Ever wonder how Warren Sapp or LaVar Arringnton make defensive football so easy? They are in their element, they know what the job intails and they let "second nature" take over. It sounds to me like self-doubt, mixed with a lil self-induldged pressure is taking your second nature outta the game.

Now I know the "name" of the player doesnt bother you and the reputation of the player your facing doesnt bother...so what it means is your having a problem fading yourself. You might be putting too much stress on your pre-shot or having a mechanical gliche that is taking you outta your timing or element. Like dancing, football and music, pool is about rythym...I'd be willing to give 10-1 your rythym is way off. Maybe its the weather, sleep patterns, lack of vitamins or just some good old buzzards luck

Like in cards these rolls cant last forever, unless you put an emphasis on them ....then they will NEVER go away.

nAz
10-29-2002, 01:14 AM
Hey CC you ever think of taking a month or a week off?
it may help if you get it off you mind and then come back slowly praticing till you get that killer instinct feeling again.
Good luck to you

phil in sofla
10-29-2002, 01:50 AM
That rings true to me, Dan. Kind of like having to shed a skin to get the new improved version. A drag when it's happening, but way better when it's through. That's happened to me several times, and each time, came back a significantly stronger player.

Of course, I'm not bleeding Benjamins when I go through my dark hours.

phil in sofla
10-29-2002, 02:19 AM
Chris, you ran into some hot shooting opponents who were going to beat anyone there that day, three times, and got put in the losers side right off the bat. That's just the luck of the draw, but it's like getting snake bit to get so many, let alone in a row. Over time that will average out to the 1 in 32 or whatever times it should happen by random chance, and you'll get brackets you'll cruise through.

It sounds like you're letting that blow out of proportion, and it's carrying over to your private matches. It's natural to have bad mental hygiene at times like this. However, if you expect success, clearly visualize what needs to happen, feel how it will feel and sound, and pull the trigger with confidence (easy for me to say, I know!), you'll find all your tools are there for you and work great.

Rich R.
10-29-2002, 05:51 AM
For what it is worth, I'll add my two cents.

First of all, you have to forget about the matches you played yesterday, last week and last month. You can not win a match you have already lost. Stop living in the past and look to the future. Your most important match is your next one, not the last one. You have to forget about the past wins and losses.
My next suggestion would be to simplify your game as much as possible. I get this idea from a very good instructor /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif, who you know. Try to take the most simple shots and play the simplest position possible.
My last suggestion is that you should play for fun once in a while, not for cash and not tournament pressure. Let youself get in touch with the reasons you like the game so much without any added pressure.
Hope it helps. If not, you can ask some one who knows what they are talking about. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Rich R.

bluewolf
10-29-2002, 06:23 AM

I seem to be in a Major Slump. I can't seem to get my head above water. My pre-shot isn't pulling me through this and it seems to be mentally effecting my play.

&lt;snip&gt;
Mentally, I'm in bad shape. It's like I'm not even there. I was told from a friend that I wasn't shooting my game. I was checking out everything way too much. Second guessing myself and all queered out. I don't know what my problem is but I need to stay away for awhile. I can't keep taking a bath like this.

Anyway, I have Burlington, Ia. tourney coming up and don't want to walk in and stink up the place. I'm at the point, I'm scarred to shoot. Help, what's your advice. Please don't mention sweat the money. I don't and been gambling for quite some time. It's the brain farts or what ever you call it when your running on 24 brain cells.

Regards,

C.C.~~flustered, help Leonard, Voodoo, Rod, Kato, Kato?

<hr></blockquote>

Chris,

I really feel for you. I was afraid to compete,shoot, beating myself up. Then I went to Randy g's pool school. I came out of there with all the confidence in the world.

In my next match, I did not win (because my opponent pocketed more balls &lt;G&gt;), but I played my very best game ever. I was confident, relaxed and focused.

Chris, In all probability, I will never be half as good as you are, and cannot offer you any advice on preshot routines or any of that stuff.

There seems to be this mental switch though. When I used to compete in Karate at tournaments, I walked in the tournaments with an 'i am here to kick a**' attitude and I either won or competed at my capability. I am operating on this assumption that a similar attitude helps at pool.

I am so sensitive to anything negative anyone says about my game or even body language I pick up on. Maybe I won't be this sensitive when I get better, but gosh Chris, everyone knows you are GREAT at pool.

If I am sitting at a match dreding playing because I might lose and make a fool out of myself (my own negative self talk) I do lose. If I am confident,focussed and looking forward to playing my best pool, I either win or if the other person is better, I play my best and feel good.

I have observed that when ww is playing bad, and he learns a little technique, like a little longer pause or whatever, he gets real excited, says hes playing better than ever and he cant wait for the next match to try it out!!

just my beginner .02

bw

Ralph S.
10-29-2002, 06:38 AM
Hi Chris. With most people, when they suffer a slump, they are usually making a progressive leap with their playing abilities. I have heard that you are a helluva player so we can rule that diagnosis out. What I think may be the problem is that you might be just a little burned out or you are putting too much added pressure on yourself. Y ou might disagree with me, but try stepping away for a few days. This means do something else! Take a break and come back after a couple days rest and I bet everything will fall right into place.
Ralph S.

10-29-2002, 06:40 AM

The last 4 tourneys that I've entered have been brutal. I've had some terrible showings. The first 3 tourneys all the first match opponents have beaten me and either taken 1st or second. The forth this hadn't happen.

The first being Larry Nevel in the first round. After losing to Larry he went on to win the event. I lost the loser brack round to Mike a guy from Sterling, Il.

The second one I lost to Tom McClusky a formatable opponent in my first round and he took second in the tourney. I won 2 matches, one buy and lost my third. I made a whopping $175. Cedar Rapids, IA.

The third tourney, I had David Matlock first round draw and after telling a guy that was standing at the leader board. That, for the last 2 tourneys the guy that beat me in the first round went on to win the tourney. I told him to bet all his doe on Matlock if he gets past me. Sure enough, David beats me and he takes off the tourney. I won one match and lost after that. I won on the side a grand total of $104. of course my expenses were more than that. Olathe, KS.

My last tourney I get Tom McClusky again first round and beat him. He didn't take the tourney off. Then, I get my friend Jesse B. and lose. Then, I get Jamie B.and lose. Their not related. Anyway, I play on the side and win a hundred. 9ball bar box giving the 8 wild to the guy. I put a 5 pack on him after winning the flip. I won the race to 7, 7-1. He quits after the 7 offer. Then, I hook up with another opponent I win the first set for a hundred race to 7 9ball bar box. Then, jack the bet to $200. and lose the set on stupid mental errors, I'll later explain.

Tonight, I play a guy 4 ahead 8ball for $300. A road dog from MI. This was run out 8 on a 9ft. Another had $100. of the action pulled up after losing the game rather quickly. Maybe an hr. max. I played another match for $200. my own again and sure enough, I sold the damm thing out again. I had opportunity and it wasn't all that bad.

Regards,

<hr></blockquote>

I don't know, pool is weird like that.. I have days where I just can't see the angles like I would like to, or just brain fart everything. I just try to go back to the basics. Basic fundamentals help you stay focused on the task at hand, things such as staying down on the shot, pause, stroke, follow through, etc, etc..

Kato
10-29-2002, 07:18 AM
Chris my friend, I wish I could say something intelligent to help you with your game. I can't. I don't know enough to pull you out of your funk with a couple of lines on the forum. If you wanna talk it over I'll call you and we can talk it out for a few hours. Whatever. Say the word, I'll be there.

Kato~~~not a psychologist but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

Sid_Vicious
10-29-2002, 08:17 AM
If you can manage a week or more, take a break, something completely away from the PH, and stay off the home table. It's always helped me at the times when the quicksand seems to be getting a bad as your appears to be getting to you. You already know how to play, there's just something popping up as a negative trigger in your approach, maybe a subconscious thought about a responsibility away from pool, something though, and it will resist any change you attempt for at least a short while and possibly longer with more ego bruising.

The only thing I can say though if you must still play through is to find a friend you respect and ask him/her to observe your play and tell you the difference they notice. I can many times spot the apparent glitch in other players...maybe shortening their stroke pattern or moving their head, or...well the list goes on.

Take the break if you can, your mind and body will remember the right way when you get back...sid

Eric.
10-29-2002, 08:34 AM
Hey Cass,

I feel your pain. Hell, anyone that plays pool can relate.

I got a few suggestions but as you know, without seeing what your doing, it's a crap shoot.

I'm guessing that it's the one or two missed shots that are costing you. Maybe a missed shot that would have gotten you out, and given you a little momentum.
Are you losing "100% focus" on the object ball just before you pull the trigger?
Trying to be too precise on position play?
Have you thought about using a camcorder during practice?
Maybe keep a notepad and write down what went wrong. That way, if it's a reoccurring thing, it'll be easier to zoom in on it.

Only some thought's, hope it helps.

Eric &gt;PhD in slumps

Mike H
10-29-2002, 08:43 AM
Chris, it sounds like you've already identified the problem. You said you're examining everything too much, which probably means you're not playing at your normal pace. A couple days or so off from the game wouldn't hurt you, your mind needs a little rest, and you'll probably fall right back into your natural rhythm. And when you get back to the table, just play the game the way you know how, the bad rolls will stop coming, and it'll be your time to win.

#### leonard
10-29-2002, 09:17 AM
Chris I have to agree with Voodoo Man, pool is all about your rythymn. When your head gets in the way your rythymn goes out the window. When I was playing, I had this mental saying, if I get the Rythymn you get the Blues. I also found that an eight word Mantra would take my mind off the mechanics and fit into the rythymn of my play. ####

AustinFilAm
10-29-2002, 09:38 AM
Chris,
A previous post (below) from Tom Brooklyn might be your answer. I just got the book. Reasonably priced at less than $10. Tom might give you his review of the book.

"Quote: CueBald:...match me against a better player and the wheels fall off. If you know someone really good that specializes in this type of problem, I would love to know who it is. It is obvious I cannot progress until I master this daemon.
Cuebald, it is not a daemon or a demon. It is a Gremlin. Everybody has one and they can't be gotten rid of. However, they can be tamed. An expert I recently became aware of is Richard D. Carson. He wrote a book you can get at Amazon.com called taming YOUR GREMLIN.See it here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060961023/qid=1032271249/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/102-7513883-7665712?v=glance
I just started reading it. Get it and if you don't like it I will personally give you your money back."

Hope this helps.

Angelo

Kato
10-29-2002, 10:05 AM
Key to pool:

Step 1: Make the shot that you are shooting at

Step 2: Make the white ball move to a spot on the table where you can make your next shot

Step 3: Repeat step 1

Kato~~~any questions?

Misel
10-29-2002, 10:42 AM
Hi Chris,
The great Willie Mosconi said that rythm is the secret to good pool.Sometimes we change it for a certain reason and our game suffers teribly.Hope this helps.

Misel

eg8r
10-29-2002, 10:47 AM
I totally agree. lol

My problem is step 1. (I rattle everything and leave it there for the opponent)

eg8r

socrates
10-29-2002, 11:28 AM
On a humorous note - pretend you are playing me. You are normally in dead punch when we play.

On a more serious note I find and I believe most people will agree that when they are in the zone nothing exists except the 50 X 100 inches of green. They are not aware of anything else.

When I played tournament level table tennis and felt I was not playing up to my ability I did the following to help get back in the zone. I NEVER took my eyes off of the ball. And I don't mean just while it was in play. They followed it wherever it went - If I blew one past my opponent and he had to chace it my eyes stayed with the ball, if it went under the table I would position myself so I could see the ball, if I had to chace a ball my eyes stayed with the ball.

Just a thought, but curious what you are doing when you are not at the table and where is your focus?

May sound crazy but my play always picked up when I did this.

Good luck in Burlington.

rackmup
10-29-2002, 12:53 PM
Post deleted by rackmup

Karatemom
10-29-2002, 01:00 PM
Geez, that sounds like my game, just place Heide where it says Ed and you've got it!

Heide ~ efficionado of jarring balls and moving opponent's coins /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

eg8r
10-29-2002, 01:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>let me knock that in. Before you rack, could you move my marker please? Thank you so much."
<hr></blockquote>
I believe it is more like, Les, did you mark my point.

I also have a problem with finishing the game. Once I was in lead for about a rack. Doing fine until I noticed that I was in the lead. Well my game went down hill (similar to the slump that Chris is talking about) and then Onepocketchamp decides to play a safety. Can you believe it, in a ring game the man plays a safety. ha ha

eg8r

rackmup
10-29-2002, 02:31 PM
Post deleted by rackmup

eg8r
10-29-2002, 04:57 PM
You are way too nice.
I will also need to speak to Mrs. Eg8r, I don't know that she is going to be allowed to play with the boys anymore.

eg8r

Chris Cass
10-29-2002, 05:23 PM
Hello everyone,

I first want to thank those that had came to my need. It's appreciated more than you'll ever know. I would like to tell all of you individually but decided to save on the posts. I have to shoot tonight for BCA leagues, so I went to relax and shoot today. Not putting any pressure on myself to win. I played I think about 3 sets of 9ball. I still wasn't in the pink but that's going to take time.

Oh, by the way my road dog walked back in the ph. I had to leave, before I hit the atm. It was killing me not to get up there and play somemore. Something, you'll all find funny. I found out they were from MI. buy the plate on the Caddy, so I assummed both guys were from MI. Two Shooters and one backer.

Wrong. Ever here of a guy named Steve Knight? Well, there's 2 of them. One strong player out of Co. The other being a Snooker champion. Well, I was fortunate to find out the one I played was the snooker freak'en champion. HAHAHA

He was ok and believe me, he didn't have to win either. The name doesn't bother me when I play. Atleast it hasn't in the past. One time when I was moving up and that stuff will cost you. I don't sweat the name, I can sure sweat the match sometimes. LOL

Steve just said his name was Stevie and that's all I knew. I didn't much care anyway. I knew he could play by the money. Nobody bets hi, goes on the road that, can't play. Atleast, I'm losing to champions.

Those who mentioned Rhythm, I noticed I wasn't in my Rhythm at all. Funny, how one thing breaks down and then it all hits the fan? The only thing is. You can't get into Rhythm unless the confidence is there, I'm thinking? Like playing on new cloth. You have to hit some to get the speed down and when the cb doesn't land where you wanted it to it, messes your mind up. This is why these champions are champions. I'm failing to find the table speed quick enough. Then, it leads into my frighteness to make the ball. Lack of focusing on the ob and worried about the cb placement more. I don't know what's up but appreciate the help, really. I'm going to try to work on my Rhythm and see if I can find it once again.

I'm going to take a break for the rest of the week from the ph and find myself. Maybe put things into prospective again. A major thing for me is falling short of my 500 balls a day and in competition instead. That could be a problem. I think I'm going to shoot 1000 balls Mon. I highly doubt that too but it can't hurt. Thanks to everyone regardless of player ratings anyone can help anyone. IMO And Dan, who ya kidding? You can play some. lol

Thank you all my friends,

C.C.~~thanks for the cameo appearence ####, I knew you wouldn't let me down. Voodoo's older little brother, C.C.

Rod
10-29-2002, 05:56 PM
Hi Chris,

Yep you have rhythm problems and for some reason not staying in the game mentally. Don't feel to bad your playing some tough customers. I really agree with what Voodoo told you, you may be just wanting it to much, etc.

Step back and evaluate your goal and your personal life. I'd bet there's something in there that may be conflicting. If not great but somehow your putting undo pressure on yourself. You may be getting just a little burnt out with all your practice and the tournaments. Take a day or two, three off and regroup, maybe back off your play and practice routine a little. I'm not sure how well your seeing the ball but don't discount that either. Wandering eyes trying to stay focused just doesn't work. You may be getting a little quick to pull the trigger, I believe someone else said that also. Hell you don't need any advice on your game, you need a new outlook.
I'm sorry I can't give you that, that's within you and possibly deep inside if your setting your goals to high for the up-comming Derby or other tournaments.

Every day when this issue burns inside, take a few deep breaths relax and confront it head on. You'll be fine, it must have been building up for a little while, this stuff just doesn't happen overnight. Since it's recent it will take a little time to let it go, you know? I don't need to wish you good luck, but I will anyway.

~~~ rod, wishes good luck to his buddy C.C.

Rod
10-29-2002, 06:35 PM
Chris, Steve use to play in Tucson when I lived there, been in a few ring games with him, Bobby Hernandez and some others. He was in Phoenix for a long time, while I still lived in Tucson. When I bought the room in Phx he didn't remember me or if he did didn't say anything. Just as well cause it was one of my times I hardly played. He use to play real strong but I don't have a clue now. Probably is no push over that's for sure. I remember him finishing high in the money a few years back at a couple of tournaments on the pro tour, made the TV rounds anyway.

BTW self doubt brought on by table conditions sure can be a snow ball effect as you mentioned. Have a good visualiation of the shot and trust your knowledge. On the light side it has to go somewhere! lol If you try to steer it they never cooperate. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif It's that lack of trust, mentally thinking when down on a shot, that leads to lack of trust in your stroke to execute. It can also be one of those deals (to a degree) where a person just wants to get the shot over with. Now your really out of your rhythm. Next time up you study so hard and try so hard your shooting arm and grip is a tense puppy if it allready wasn't so you've lost your feel. Well you get the idea I'm sure, keep on it and have a little fun.

10-29-2002, 07:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> Like playing on new cloth. You have to hit some to get the speed down and when the cb doesn't land where you wanted it to it, messes your mind up. This is why these champions are champions. I'm failing to find the table speed quick enough. Then, it leads into my frighteness to make the ball. Lack of focusing on the ob and worried about the cb placement more. I don't know what's up but appreciate the help, really.
<hr></blockquote>

I think this is something I accel at, actually, is finding the table speed. I can usually go from a bar table with carpet to a simonis 8?? cloth and figure it out pretty well.

Generally when I switch to faster cloth, I use less english and use the rails for postion more than trying to float the cueball around. Also I try to widen my margin of error as much as possible to ensure that the cueball doesn't get too far away from me, rather than trying to play exact postion at first.. then after about an hour I try to tighten up the position play and get closer and closer untill I find the right speeds.

Just an idea, because inevitably, getting used to a table quickly is important, especially in tournaments that use 30 or 40 tables.. and some tables get played on more.

stickman
10-29-2002, 08:02 PM
Hi Chris. I don't think there's anything I could add to the advice you've already gotten. I just want to wish you a speedy recovery from your slump. We all have them and we all get over them in time. I hope you find the key and get though it soon.

Jim

Barbara
10-29-2002, 08:20 PM
CC,

I've finally read all the posts and Voodoo's makes the best advice here. You're focusing, but you're focusing at a very conscious level and you need to let your second nature take over and relax to get into the zone.

Let the onion peel itself. It's either that or take some time off. Did me a world of good, I've never been more relaxed at the table with my drills.

Barbara~~~homework's due 11/9&amp;10 at Hagerstown...

dddd
10-29-2002, 09:47 PM
i always notice how well and focused i play when i have a lesson from my instructor i use here at home, he helps me to focus and put attention where it needs to be. he reinforces my idea that my stance, stroke, pre-shot routine are doing what they need to.
but what i am trying to say here is its not the phyiscal things but the time spent with someone you believe and know will boost your mental state.
do not hypnotize yourself my mentally searching for the holy grail.

enjoy the game dont focus on what is not right so much. perhaps focus on what is right, which i think will be alot more than whats wrong.

i dont think beating yourself with more drills, more practice will be the easy way out. i dont mean no practice or drills, far from it i really enjoy my time at the table alone with my thoughts. it is a super way to spend time.

i wish only the best for you
good luck

dddd

CarolNYC
10-30-2002, 05:50 AM
Hey Chris,
Tony ( Robles) and I were at a table the other evening discussing strategies(in 9-ball) ~4 1/2 hours,doing shots and not-what, during that time, mental aspects of the game were discussed-I do know how avid a reader you are, but I thought I'd share the name of a book "Awaken the Giant Within" by Anthony Robbins.
PM me if you want!
Carol~says a Mantra when she jumps!:)

HOWARD
10-30-2002, 07:12 PM
CHRIS

I SUGGEST THAT YOU TAKE A COUPLE OF DAYS AWAY FROM THE TABLE. THEN GO BACK AND BEAR DOWN ON THE FUNDLEMENTALS OF YOUR GAME. FOOT POSITION, BRIDGES, STROKE, EXERCISES ETC.

griffith_d
10-30-2002, 07:50 PM
Don't worry, a streak is a streak,...bad or good. You have to look at it like,..sometimes you make all the green lights, sometimes you catch all the red lights,...but normally you get a little of both and get somewhere on time.

Griff

Voodoo Daddy
10-30-2002, 09:55 PM
Nice to see you got to spend some time with Tony Robles, from what I hear he is a solid rock of pool knowledge. IMO, Carol is already a winner and doesnt need Tony Robbins. If you want to read mental focus type books, can I suggest "Art of War" by Sun Zsu, "Inner book of Tennis" {author unknown} and "My Story" by Jack Nickalus. Authored by those from reality and not conjurred up by a guy that calls himself a "Self Help Guru"....Just my veiw. If you read Robbins already...you got 1 up on me, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!! Gotta love Carol.....

CarolNYC
10-31-2002, 05:02 AM
Ah,Yes,
Solid rock indeed! Li'l NY grasshopper spends much,much time with the knowledgeable (who she admires and respects!) Certain passages in that book,more or less, imply, that there is a greatness in everyone-its how to get that greatness out!:)You can brainwash yourself to think you are invincible and sooner or later,as long as you truly believe it,you will become it,hopefully,ha ha ha!As you know, I am 9-ball tournament player and straight pool-my difficulty was my thoughts when I missed:),which will be corrected!
As for"the inner game of tennis" by W. Timothy Gallwey-I wasnt sure if self 1 or self 2 was reading the book!ha ha ha-(only kidding) read it!
Carol~always listens to Voodoo!:):):)

bluewolf
10-31-2002, 05:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: CarolNYC:</font><hr> Ah,Yes,
Solid rock indeed! Li'l NY grasshopper spends much,much time with the knowledgeable (who she admires and respects!) Certain passages in that book,more or less, imply, that there is a greatness in everyone-its how to get that greatness out!:)You can brainwash yourself to think you are invincible and sooner or later,as long as you truly believe it,you will become it,hopefully,ha ha ha!As you know, I am 9-ball tournament player and straight pool-my difficulty was my thoughts when I missed:),which will be corrected!
As for"the inner game of tennis" by W. Timothy Gallwey-I wasnt sure if self 1 or self 2 was reading the book!ha ha ha-(only kidding) read it!
Carol~always listens to Voodoo!:):):) <hr></blockquote>

Carol, which specific book were you referring to in the beginning of your post. Was it the 'art of war' or the guru one.

thanks

#### leonard
10-31-2002, 09:00 AM
Famed Psycholigist William James wrote this years ago,if you want to acquire a skill act as if you posess it already and soon you will. Why do actors play pool roles and look believeable. ####

CarolNYC
11-01-2002, 04:47 AM
Yes sir,
I believe that!:)
Carol

Perk
11-01-2002, 07:17 AM
Was Steve Knight...and probably Jerry Slivka..they have been running together for a bit...I last saw them in Detroit bout 3 weeks ago. Both are strong, but Knight didnt impress us when we played in Detroit. Hope you did well.

JimS
11-01-2002, 07:47 AM
Well THIS brought me out of the cave!

Let me see if I have this right.......you lost to Larry Nevel, Jesse Bowman and Jamie Baraks (aka Wilson) and you call that a slump?! Hell man Earl himself could lose to all those guys on any given day! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Now when you lose to me...THAT'S a MAJOR slump.....probably time to consider taking a break from the game or giving it up entirely.....mabye even time to think about eating a shotgun barrell!

MikeM
11-01-2002, 10:21 AM
It's probably due to that crappy Southwest he plays with. Chris, send me your cue and I'll make sure it doesn't treat you like that again!

MM

Chris Cass
11-01-2002, 10:30 AM
Yep,

That was them. That was part of what I was talking about. I wasn't impressed either. They, got theirs, dropped about $2700. and are booking it somewhere else today. I lost but it was me not him beating me. LOL I never heard of playing 8ball on a 9 ft. Anyway, it's runout pool nevertheless. I'll run into him again and he won't like it either. He did have very good pattern play, I'll give him that.

Regards,

C.C.~~Perks on the ball...I wanted to play 9ball or 1-hole

Chris Cass
11-01-2002, 10:50 AM
WELL WELL,

Jim your alive. There's a lot of people here that miss your clever wit and yes, I'm in a slump. I had Nevel and let him out along with a few others too. I love it when they smash the butt of the cue on the carpet. It makes me all warm and fuzzy. Now you, on the other hand, is another story. That cold calculated look on your face that says, "I'm kicking your game to the curb, Buddy" makes me shake in my boots. LOL

Great hearing from ya Jim,

Best regards,

C.C.~~loves JimS' New Diamond Pro with shimmed pockets and wall of South West cues to choose from, books, video collection of Accustat's, giant screen tv, pool chairs, lighting. Been missing Ring. Hope you took him trick or treating./ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Chris Cass
11-01-2002, 10:57 AM
HAHAHAHHA

Mike you have know idea what that cues been through. I think it was crying. I had along talk with it and although, she didn't say a word, I know she was sorry. Send me your address and $6. and I'll send her to you. Teach her well, she doesn't like losing. LOL Wait, that's what happened. I didn't push the switch on the side to turn it on. What a dummy I am. hahahaha

Regards,

C.C.~~wake up Mike, your dreamin. hahahahahahahaa

JimS
11-01-2002, 12:00 PM
"Lord help me the be the person my dog thinks I am."

Great thought Mike and a goal in life worthy of aspiring to reach.....even though no human in history has ever come close to that level of perfection...yet! Got to keep trying in the name of evolution.

MikeM
11-01-2002, 01:50 PM
Jim,

I actually saw that on a postcard at an airport. I forgot the name of the woman who wrote it and haven't been able to track it down. I really love the line though. If only everyone was as happy to see me as my dog is!

MM

11-03-2002, 05:20 AM

I seem to be in a Major Slump.

Regards,

C.C.~~flustered, help
<hr></blockquote>

if you like playing for the money ...

the best thing for a major slump is a major chump /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Chris Cass
11-03-2002, 11:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr>
if you like playing for the money ...

the best thing for a major slump is a major chump /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif <hr></blockquote>

HAHHAHAHA Although that may be an ego boost, it's a false one IMO. I know your trying to help and I appreciate it to know end. It's nice to get replies from those who really care to help. That's really great.

I don't have slumps too often. When I do I usually come out with a better attitude and my play picks up. I've been off work for about 6 mths. The last time I was really hitt'em good was 10 yrs ago. I first moved out here to BFE and couldn't find work. My wife and I just had our son and put a lot of money down on a home. I played for about 1 yr. and attended all the local events. My handicap was a 13-2 and give up the breaks. That's when I was hitting them the best. Didn't take anything for granted, gave every shot I shot 100% focus and attention it deserved. I was ready then to see someone about lessons to put me over the top.

Then, finally found a job. Mortgage, diapers and food and the pressure of needing to play in dead punch wasn't there anymore. I gave up the killer instinct that was so hard to find.

Now, I'm starting to feel the wrath and the need to get this instict back. If anyone wants to excell in this game? Killer instict in needed. This is why so many players gamble. They, put it out there and play these champions, just to find out what it takes to win. Believe me, they find out quick, what it takes to win and through gambling or tourney pressure, they bring their play up another notch. IMHO

Now, an easy money game is great for the wallet and we all can use a couple of bucks. In the long run, the tougher games have more gratification and is better for your mind, really.

Thanks for the needed advice and caring enough to suggest an avenue of escape.

Regards,

C.C.

Alfie
11-03-2002, 04:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> I seem to be in a Major Slump. I can't seem to get my head above water. My pre-shot isn't pulling me through this and it seems to be mentally effecting my play.
[...]
Anyway, I have Burlington, Ia. tourney coming up and don't want to walk in and stink up the place. I'm at the point, I'm scarred to shoot. Help, what's your advice. Please don't mention sweat the money. I don't and been gambling for quite some time. It's the brain farts or what ever you call it when your running on 24 brain cells. <hr></blockquote>

WWKD

What would Kucharo do?

Chris Cass
11-03-2002, 06:57 PM
Well,

To be honest, the same thing I'm doing. Take a couple (2) days off and then lock himself in his house and drill. Tape his entire mechanics at every angle and wouldn't come out for 30 days till he was in tune. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

I've been do this for the last two days and will do so till the tournament in Burlington, Ia. the 9th and 10th of this mth. Tonight, I watch the tape from todays taping and will watch what's going on back there. I also have "one drill" that does it all. This drill is used for every practice session and the only thing that changes is, what I focus on for that day. Today was my mechanics and tomorrow will be on my focus. Unless, my mechanics are messed up? I'll find out tonight.

Regards,

C.C.

Alfie
11-04-2002, 01:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> I also have "one drill" that does it all. This drill is used for every practice session and the only thing that changes is, what I focus on for that day. <hr></blockquote> Would you describe that drill?