PDA

View Full Version : Just an observation

10-29-2002, 01:20 AM
I mean this in all seriousness. I am reading threads on here that are very hostile. Some comments are said just to antagonize. Talking about who should have won a tournament, how to practice, or arguing a rule is one thing. Name calling and belittling someone is something else. I don't think it is smart or safe. Many of you have provided a lot of personal information over time. Where you live, where you play, in some cases even your real names. Do any of you read the papers or watch TV? There are some real nuts out there. The last thing I would do is antagonize a total stranger that knows who I am. I have read what could be called actual threats on here in the last couple of weeks. I think that if there is anything on the bio page that in anyway identifies you, I would delete it. I would not even give an email address. It makes no sense to provide such info in my opinion.

10-29-2002, 02:49 AM
do you mean rude posts like this?

Quote: ted harris:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How can he have a low IQ? Yeah right, with an IQ of 91 he graduated from Harvard with an MBA? Horse pucky he has the lowest IQ! Below is a link for all you dummies out there that bought this story!
Your story is nothing more than a hoax! Why don't you think about what you write, or do you believe everything you read and/or hear?!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10-29-2002, 12:19 PM
I have been thinking the same thing. I have played in enough bars to know when it is a time to keep my mouth shut. It is a small world and pool is a small subculture.

bluewolf
10-29-2002, 12:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> I mean this in all seriousness. I am reading threads on here that are very hostile. Some comments are said just to antagonize. Talking about who should have won a tournament, how to practice, or arguing a rule is one thing. Name calling and belittling someone is something else. I don't think it is smart or safe. &lt;snip&gt; <hr></blockquote>

Personally, I don't worry about the safety part.I would rather have 20 years of having fun, being honest and open than 70 years of being scared of living and afraid of dying.

I know there is a lot of bickering here and I have been guilty of it too. I am trying not to do this. My dark side has the capacity to be evily sarcastic and hit below the belt with personal attacks.

Some people can disaggree without being disaggreeable. That is they disaggree with the words spoken and don't hurl insults of a personal nature. This is just me,but even if the words seem harsh, if I sincerely believe that the person is not attacking me personally and even might have my best interests at heart, I try not to take it personally. I dont always do this perfectly,however.

The other day a poster said that one of my posts was meaningless. Reading the whole post, however, revealed the fact that this person had my best interests at heart, so I did not take it personally or retailiate.An actual thank-you to this person was called for honesty and caring.

I am guilty as the next of hitting that 'send' key before thinking it through, but I really think if all of us would try to consider the tone of the whole post, and understand each others sense of humor,perhaps the personal attacks would diminish.

When I first got here, I did not know what the words meant. I often could not tell if the person was being humorous or critical and did not know which posters simply calls a spade a spade and which ones are extremely tactful.

Sometimes what sounds like a criticism or personal insult is just that person expressing their opinion with no intent to hurt me.

Sometimes I take things here way too personally but think I am doing better. It seems that some others here take things too personally too and when that happens,it can become a flame war.

my .02 worth

bw

10-29-2002, 02:43 PM
OH, shut up! (I mean that in a GOOD way!)

10-29-2002, 02:59 PM
Amen!