PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Mosconi Cup Teams - Official Announcement

Luke Riches
10-29-2002, 07:12 AM
With the ninth running of the Mosconi Cup taking place at the fabled York Hall, Bethnal Green, East London from 19 - 22 December, promoters Matchroom Sport can announce the two teams.

Representing Europe will be :

Oliver Ortmann (Germany) Captain
Steve Davis (England)
Marcus Chamat (Sweden)
Nick van den Berg (Holland)
Ralf Souquet (Germany)
Mika Immonen (Finland)

Commented Euro veteran Steve Davis, “ The big news is that Ortmann is back as captain. He last played in 1999 but this year we were looking for a Sam Torrance-style leader to lift the lads to glory.

“In the past, we have suffered from a lack of an inspirational figure and I think that Oliver is the type of player who will stop at nothing for victory.”

Ortmann said when told the news , “The Mosconi Cup is the greatest pool tournament in the world and it is the greatest honour to be named European captain. I will not let them down.”

The American side is unchanged from the team that won so convincingly last year and that includes captain Earl ‘the Pearl’ Strickland.

Commented Earl, “The US have won this championship for the last six years and with the team we’ve got , we can do it again this December. Last year’s 12 –1 scoreline was a fluke in some respects and I expect it to be a lot closer this time out.”

The full team is:

Earl Strickland (Captain)
Cory Deuel
Johnny Archer
Nick Varner
Jeremy Jones
Charlie Williams

The Mosconi Cup is the Ryder Cup of 9-ball pool and features two teams of six players in a series of singles and doubles matches over four days.

The official table of the Mosconi Cup is the Brunswick Gold Crown IV, the cloth is Simonis 860, the balls are Super Aramith Pro and the official cue is Predator.

MikeM
10-29-2002, 08:32 AM
WOW! Charlie and Earl on the same team! The team meetings should be as entertaining as the pool.

MM

Rich R.
10-29-2002, 09:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: MikeM:</font><hr> WOW! Charlie and Earl on the same team! The team meetings should be as entertaining as the pool.

MM <hr></blockquote>
Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall in those team meetings? Earl and Charlie staring at each other across the table.
Rich R.

Vicki
10-29-2002, 05:22 PM
Whoo Hooo!!!! Thank goodness someone had the good sense to make Earl (aka Captain America) our team Captain!!! Who ever is responsible for that please accept my appreciation! USA has a great team again this year!!!
Vicki