PDA

View Full Version : Tips Under The Microscope, Surprise Ya'

Sid_Vicious
10-29-2002, 02:31 PM
I critique my tips periodically under a microscope and just today found several of the tips I have installed or had installed in the last two months definitely, visibly flex when prodded with direct pressure with a thumbnail around the perimeter of the crown. The only tip(except for the phenolic, I didn't bother testing it) to be as rigid as the day of install was an Ultra H WB on my break cue, and it definitely gets a workout plus has been installed for a long, long time! The worst one was on my favorite play cue, a single layer WB tip. I was surprised that the single layer tip softened like that, but I noticed it ditting "different" last night hence the inspection today.

I wasn't sure the consensus on tip inspections under microscopes, but if you are like I am and like very rigid tips then you might consider that possibly the recent change in your game may be due to a marginally failing tip. I'm going to try cutting these way down in height before giving up and starting over with new tips. There is a Talisman Pro H and a XH layered tip and the single
layer WB gone spongy (to my standards at least.) I like that crisp sound at the hit, and these have lost that...sid~~~may be nit pickin' to some people's standards, but hey! I like tips that report with a tink every time

eg8r
10-29-2002, 05:04 PM
Hello Sid,

I don't believe I want my playing cue tip as hard as you might like it, but I do hate/despise mushrooming. I am not the type of person that will probably see a change in my game when I go from cue to cue or tip to tip, however I do hate looking down the cue and seeing the tip mushroomed out past the edge. I am having a Talisman Pro MH put on an extra to see if there is any difference. I guess that is the extent of my inspection process.

I also don't want to hear the tip everytime I hit a ball. I just want a nice solid hit and maybe a drowned out thud.

eg8r

stickman
10-29-2002, 05:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I like tips that report with a tink every time <hr></blockquote>

We have the same taste. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Would the single layer WB be a Sumo?

Sid_Vicious
10-29-2002, 05:25 PM
No I haven't tried that tip, BUT you can rest assured that I'll be getting in line to try one soon since the apparent breakdown on mine. I'll shorten those deamons first and report back in a while...sid

Rod
10-29-2002, 07:03 PM
Sid, a couple of months ago playing pool in the afternoon 2 guys said jeez why don't you take care of that tip! I said whats wrong with my tip. Man it's mushroomed and almost flat. Well "they could see" it didn't effect me any matter of fact I was hittn em pretty good. After comming home and putting on my reading glasses it surely was a mess. BTW this was a new tip and after cleaning it up its great. If a tip is to soft I don't like that either but a tiny bit one way or another, how much difference can that make? Ok so your a little picky about tips, I'd rather work on a couple of sour strokes, that's where I'm picky. Now I just have an inspection of my tip before I go with reading glasses. lol Funny when your close up vision goes how I overlook some common areas.

TonyM
10-30-2002, 12:20 AM
"however I do hate looking down the cue and seeing the tip mushroomed out past the edge."

Boy, would you ever hate the tips that the top Snooker cues use these days then!

They actually INTENTIONALLY mushroom their tips so that they are bigger than the ferrule diameter, by quite a bit!

They install an 11.0 mm tip on a 9.5 mm ferrule, and then leave it like that!

That's over 1 mm of mushroom per side!

Some of them even use a tip with over 2 mm of mushroom per side!

I think that if you get use to that, a tip that is flush with the ferrule will look just as "wrong" to them, as the mushroomed tip looks to you!

It takes all kinds!

Tony
-different strokes and all that.....