PDA

View Full Version : What kinda cue do you play with?

WV Slim Shady
03-21-2013, 11:34 AM
My pool hall cue is a Schmelke sneaky ... look just like a house cue. Hits a ton and a half.

My home cue is a Meucci gambler.

Rich R.
03-21-2013, 06:12 PM
I have a few cues. I like buying cues, when I can, and I like switching which cues I play with. I don't restrict any of them to my home table and you never know which cue you will see me with in the poolroom.
My cues were made by the following:
Scruggs
Lambros
Capone (3)
Tucker
Barnhart
Sly

albertwilson30
03-22-2013, 04:02 AM
Hi,
I love to play with Predator and I have one for me. I bought one Cuetec as well one month back. I feel that these two are the best for jump and break as well. The hit by these cues are very solid.

WV Slim Shady
03-22-2013, 04:11 AM
I have a few cues. I like buying cues, when I can, and I like switching which cues I play with. I don't restrict any of them to my home table and you never know which cue you will see me with in the poolroom.
My cues were made by the following:
Scruggs
Lambros
Capone (3)
Tucker
Barnhart
Sly

WV pool rooms are few and far between, and most aren't the place you leave an expensive cue while you go take a wee.

dg-in-centralpa
03-22-2013, 06:23 AM
I have an old Predator that I now use for breaking, I also have a Schon, Jacoby, and a Richard Black. I have an old Meucci for anyone who comes to the house to play. Sort of a house stick.

DG

DiabloViejo
03-22-2013, 03:06 PM
I have a few playing cues.

Tucker (my favorite)
Sherm Adams
Meucci 333-2
Viking
McDermott
Predator Sneaky w/ z2 shaft

Soflasnapper
03-22-2013, 03:42 PM
I play with a Predator cue and a Jacoby cue, using a Uni-loc Z-2 shaft with both. I let players at my house use the Predator, and non-players use a McDermott I won at raffle or a plain Jane no points Adam I got as a break cue a long while ago.

WV Slim Shady
03-22-2013, 05:05 PM
I'd like to try a Predator but I don't think anyone in WV sells them.

Rich R.
03-23-2013, 06:45 AM
If you are just interested in trying one out, you may have a problem in your area. I have to believe some one there sells Predator. You may even be able to find some one trying to sell a used one and you can ask for a test drive.
If you really want to buy one, almost all major internet dealers sell them. To keep costs down, you should even be able to buy just a shaft to fit your current cue.

I'm not a fan of Predator but, as they say, "different strokes for different folks".

WV Slim Shady
03-23-2013, 07:48 AM
In the end, I don't think I'd like it since I've pretty much conquered the rejection of deflection.

What I'd really like s to find some good local play without driving to the bigger cities.

I've worn out my welcome in WV after playing the competition in Charleston, Wheeling, Parkersburg, Clarksburg, Morgantown.

There ain't much money in a state where the biggest employer is Walmarts.

Rich R.
03-23-2013, 06:06 PM
If it's action you want, go to Blue Fox Billiards in Winchester, Va. It's not too far from the WV line.
Take plenty of cash and ask for a guy named Matt Clatterbuck.
http://www.bluefoxbilliards.com/

hondo
03-23-2013, 10:34 PM
WV pool rooms are few and far between, and most aren't the place you leave an expensive cue while you go take a wee.

Weston, Grafton, Shinnston, Fairmont have nice pool rooms.

hondo
03-23-2013, 10:35 PM
I traded mine. Didn't like it.

WV Slim Shady
03-24-2013, 05:52 AM
Weston, Grafton, Shinnston, Fairmont have nice pool rooms.

Been to the strand and metropolitan and strokerz all and they are ok for a rural area but are nothing like the larger city pool halls.

hondo
03-24-2013, 07:19 AM
Been to the strand and metropolitan and strokerz all and they are ok for a rural area but are nothing like the larger city pool halls.

Of course not.

WV Slim Shady
03-24-2013, 07:54 AM
If it's action you want, go to Blue Fox Billiards in Winchester, Va. It's not too far from the WV line.
Take plenty of cash and ask for a guy named Matt Clatterbuck.
http://www.bluefoxbilliards.com/

I've played Matt.

Rich R.
03-25-2013, 04:32 AM
I've played Matt.

And how did you make out?

WV Slim Shady
03-25-2013, 05:36 AM
And how did you make out?

To be honest hes a bit up on me but not much. If its the same Matt.

About 6 foot and about 200 pds?

Rich R.
03-25-2013, 07:32 PM
To be honest hes a bit up on me but not much. If its the same Matt.

About 6 foot and about 200 pds?
It's probably the same Matt. 200 sounds a bit high but I haven't seen him for a while.

Sid_Vicious
03-25-2013, 07:42 PM
I play with my Woody...sounds decadent I know. I bought it back in the early 90s and have foolishly spend thousands in new cues since, but decided to stay with the "one that brung me." It is a Woodsworth SP but glamored up with 4 points on the forearm, and hits sweet. IMO, people should really find the first GOOD playing cue they find and stick with it. Sure would save a bunch of money cuz reselling bought cues always bites you if it's not a real collectable. It all depends if you are a player or a billiards enthusiast and investor I guess. Sid

hondo
03-25-2013, 09:27 PM
I have a lot of cues. Currently playing with a Ray Schuler.

WV Slim Shady
03-26-2013, 03:22 AM
Im thinking of gettin a cue just for looks.

allanpsand
04-04-2013, 03:30 PM
I've got a Viking "tall" butt (33") and a shaft cut from an ancient house stick at the points (36"). What's nice is that the total weight is 20.5 ounces.
This is necessary, since I'm 6' 5" tall.

For cue length, my personal opinion is that the tip should come up to your chin. Short guys can keep the 57-58" sticks, but tall guys/gals need something that provides a similar balance between hands that shorter players get.

I'm having a 3 piece cue made with a standard 30" butt, 12" middle piece, and a 24" shaft. I may also experiment with a few smaller middle piece inserts, i.e., 8", 6", 4".

Of course, all of these eliminate the use of standard cue cases. I use a hard shell gun case instead.