PDA

View Full Version : Me?! Sandbagging?! (A Little Long)

9 Ball Girl
10-30-2002, 04:49 PM
Here's the Story -

Here's the background:
The last time I played competatively was at the CCB Open (9/28). I was already in my "slump" then and I hadn't played since. (Things were happening in my life that sucked and unfortunately seeped into my pool world--but they're sloooooowly getting ok now). I was so disgusted that I didn't even join my BCA league, the TriState Tour (like I planned), and I stopped playing in the 9 ball Tourneys at Balukas' place and worst of all, I stopped practicing.

This past Sunday, Naz told me that our friend AC (owner of Park Slope Billiards) wanted me to play on his APA team. I hesitated for 2 reasons: 1. The last time I played with the APA was about 3 years ago and I'm not too crazy about their rules. 2. I haven't played in about a month! Anywho, I figured, ah why not.

The Scenario:
I go in as a 3 because the last time I played with the APA I was a 3. And that was 3 years ago. I know I play way better than that but that's what they decided to do. They put me up against a 4 so he has to go to 3 and all I have to do is win 2. We start our first game and everytime he missed his shot, he left me snookered, safe, etc. This resulted in a long game with a lot of innings. He wins.

The 2nd game, again he's leaving me nothing, so I'm kicking my way out of safes, went a couple of rails on one of them. I scratched when I got down to my last object ball giving him BIH and he wins. He's now on the hill. I looked at Naz and told him, "I told you I haven't been playing so..." and shrugged.

Well, by this time I start to get disgusted and I know I can play better so that's what happened. I guess my disgustedness put some fuel in me and I came back and beat him 2x to win the match. I was positioning, had a bank shot here, a cut shot there. By this time his team mates are watching and they start to whisper "sandbagging, sandbagging". I don't say anything to them, shake my opponent's hand, and go on my way.

I don't know now if they think that I'm someone that needs to be reckoned with or if I'm someone who cheats. Sigh.

Well, the highlight of that night was driving over to Golden Q Billiards to meet up with Lorri and Holly. Teehee

stickman
10-30-2002, 05:13 PM
NBG, all you can do is play your game. I've had some very good games lately, and I've heard talk that I'll be going up. I tell them, "Oh well, my goal is to achieve the highest level I can." I don't see going up as a threat, more like a compliment. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
10-30-2002, 05:56 PM
Wendy,
I remember you playing quite well at the CCB tournament. C'mon girl.. you can practice and compete with the best of them.. you just need to get motivated.. How about coming to the DERBY City Classic.. ?

Sandbagging? I doubt it very seriously. You play to win.. I've seen it..

9 Ball Girl
10-30-2002, 07:23 PM
The desire is creeping up on me again. I've patched things up and things are starting to look better. I would love to go to the Derby City Classic, but as work will have it, I can't. Anyway, I have been going to tournaments on the spectator side and I believed that peaked my interest again.

Miss ya Tom!

9 Ball Girl
10-30-2002, 07:27 PM
Oh I don't mind going up at all. I even warned the guy running it that my handicap should be higher and it was so when I was in the BCA. But, he said he's only interested in what I was when I was on the APA. Oh well.