PDA

View Full Version : Sidespin

dave
10-31-2002, 09:03 AM
When putting extreme sidespin on the cueball, do you prefer to use backhand english or do you move your tip over parallel to your initial cue alignment? What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of either method ?

10-31-2002, 09:09 AM
Parallel when the shot is short to get maximum effect. Backhand when the shot is long to minimize cb squirt.

Chris Cass
10-31-2002, 09:16 AM
Good question Dave,

I move my entire cue over, and straight aligned with the spot on the cb. At any length for me is automatically adjusted I'm guessing in my stroke.

Regards,

C.C.~~does use backhand english for some tight shots where the cb doesn't have room to manuver.

dave
10-31-2002, 10:13 AM
That's interesting. I made the incorrect assumption that everyone used one or the other, but not both. Hmmmm.

SpiderMan
10-31-2002, 10:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: dave:</font><hr> When putting extreme sidespin on the cueball, do you prefer to use backhand english or do you move your tip over parallel to your initial cue alignment? What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of either method ? <hr></blockquote>

I move the shaft over, but not parallel to the original alignment. That would only work for zero squirt. I move the shaft over and compensate my aim from familiarity with my own equipment.

Sometimes, with the shot lined up centerball, I'll slide my bridge hand back a few inches to the auto-compensation pivot point and set up as if to do backhand, but this is in order to cross-check my feeling for the correct angular offset.

SpiderMan

stickman
10-31-2002, 11:00 AM
I move the shaft over to the side, parallel, and estimate the compensation based on previous experience. The advantage is that I'm familiar with this method. The few times I tried backhand english, I wasn't able to get it to work for me, so I reverted back to my old style.

smfsrca
10-31-2002, 02:32 PM
Your question implies that the only options require you to move the tip of your cue by either
1. Fix your bridge hand and swivel your cue.
or
2. Slide your bridge hand.
This implies that you are aiming by addressing the center of the ball and than moving your tip or your hand.
I don't do either of these. I bridge where I want the tip to contact the cue ball and never move it except forward when I stroke.
I don't use the tip/shaft as an aiming aid.

Rod
10-31-2002, 03:12 PM
Dave two ways, I bridge where I want the tip to contact the cue ball, just like smfsrca. Usually shorter power shots but not always. The next way is similar but I only favor the english used, (very little) and use back hand english. This last approach for me can really narrow or widen an angle and it is usually but not always at slower speeds. As another poster mentioned back hand english is good for the long shots to minimize squirt.

Tom_In_Cincy
10-31-2002, 05:26 PM
I use he parallel aiming method adjusting the aim for "shaft deflection induced" squirt on the cue ball.

I haven't seen too many players use the BHE method, but the ones I did see played very well. And, they were experienced players (many years of playing pool)

Mike H
10-31-2002, 06:02 PM
Personally, I prefer backhand english over moving my tip over. The only two instances I will move my tip over in are:
1) OB frozen to rail, cut angle is extreme, and I want to load the CB up with english.
2) Good amount of distance between CB and OB, and I want to use less than a medium speed and either low inside or low outside.
I've noticed myself compensating slightly for deflection when using sidespin while I strike the CB a tip or more below center (using BHE). I suspect this may be caused by the fact that I shoot very slightly jacked up, as I am a little taller and too lazy to really get down on a shot. LOL
I don't think there's an advantage or disadvantage to either method, although BHE does reduce the squirt on longer shots. Another big advantage to BHE is that it eliminates the opportunity for human error when compensating. However, BHE is tough to switch over to if you're used to moving your tip over and compensating. If you haven't used it before, mess around with it for a little while and see if it's comfortable for you. I played for about 9 years before I discovered the BHE method, and I almost immediately became more comfortable with it than I ever was with compensation.