PDA

View Full Version : Defence break

10-31-2002, 10:58 AM
This is actually a question, i dunno. I'm thinkin out loud...no time... It came up in leaugue last night. Your playing the last game of the round and you only need say 4 balls to win the round. You have the break. Do you break hard to make a ball? Then hopefully have an easy out to 4? BUT You could scratch. You could come up dry. You might not even have an easy shot to follow, even if you make one..........Hmmmmmmmm

On the other hand, if you like, soft break. Oooooooo he's going to HATE you, especialy if he's a runnout shooter. You know the odds of him solving that mess are not good, eventually letting you in for an easy 4. Conclusion. When only balls are left to win a round. Defense Break! St

Chris Cass
11-02-2002, 12:17 AM
Hi Stretch,

I'd go for it. Agressive pool is the best. Not that defense isn't smart and is part of game strategy but, something about the confidence that offensive play gives you that makes the win, just that much more satisfying. JMHO

Regards,

C.C.

Mr Ingrate
11-02-2002, 11:30 AM
Hi Stretch,

How do you effectively defense break given that it is usually required for 4 balls to hit a rail?

I've only played in one (strange) 8-ball league that didn't have such a requirement.

cheesemouse
11-02-2002, 11:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Stretch:</font><hr> This is actually a question, i dunno. I'm thinkin out loud...no time... It came up in leaugue last night. Your playing the last game of the round and you only need say 4 balls to win the round. You have the break. Do you break hard to make a ball? Then hopefully have an easy out to 4? BUT You could scratch. You could come up dry. You might not even have an easy shot to follow, even if you make one..........Hmmmmmmmm

Strech,
I play in a four man team 8-ball league and this situation comes up often. Most guys open the rack. If I have to rack and know or suspect my guy is going to safty break I rack the all the solids on one side with all the stripes on the other side that way if I get to establish I can normally take the set of balls with the most open balls and can easlily saftey him on his set which remain somewhat clustered.....I hate the saftey break.
On the other hand, if you like, soft break. Oooooooo he's going to HATE you, especialy if he's a runnout shooter. You know the odds of him solving that mess are not good, eventually letting you in for an easy 4. Conclusion. When only balls are left to win a round. Defense Break! St <hr></blockquote>

11-03-2002, 12:41 PM
Hi Dave, Stretch. To clairify the Defense Break i'm only sugesting that with anything less than a full blooded explode the rack type break there are many possible pitfalls like i covered in my last post. It's easy however to take a little off, or even say clip the head ball and still have more than enough to meet the minimum requirement of sending four balls to the rail. Meanwhile, the rest of the pack is more or less clumped down below the centre pockets making a runnout highly improbable.

Here's the thing. I've been getting burned lately by comeing up empty on the break, or even scratching. I can't tell you how much this really sucks! lol Of course when my break is working i'll go for the gusto and more often than not close the deal in short order, but when it's not, it's been my observation that the break is actually a disadvantage. Blasphamy you say? Well i feel strongly enough about this to give it a go this week in league. Nothing overtly defensive now mind you, i think i can come up with a lousy break in more subtle ways /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif besides, i LOVE the cat and mouse game. Especially where only balls are required. St

Thanks all for the imput, especially the one sided rack. Interesting concept. I'll try a few of those and see how they play out (in practice that is /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif)