PDA

View Full Version : tip placement?

dave
10-31-2002, 11:41 AM
Awhile back I was watching a player determining his tip placement (I think?) on the cue ball in a manner that was unknown to me. What he would do is place his tip on the cloth in front of the cueball in different locations depending on the specific shot. It was as if he was placing his tip on a specfic point on the cloth where there was an imaginary ghost ball in front of the cueball! Then he would stroke and shoot the cue ball normally. Was he using this method to vary the placement of his bridge hand to get different tip placement on the hit or what? Anybody have a clue what I'm talking about here? My description is awkward and full of assumptions. TIA

10-31-2002, 12:24 PM
Hi Dave,

When you say he is pointing to the cloth in front of the cue ball, I assume you mean on the object ball side of the CB and not on the side he would actually hit with the cue. Is that correct? Assuming that to be the case, how far in front of the cue ball was he pointing? Was he actually making the cloth?

Sorry for all the questions.

A1

dave
10-31-2002, 12:35 PM
No, he WAS doing it on the side of the cue ball he intended to hit. He was/is a very good player, which is why I didn't dismiss his actions as those of someone that didn't know what they were doing. Instead of lining up the tip on a specific point on the cueball in front of him, like most of us would; he was carefully placing his tip directly on the cloth in front of him on the contact side of the cueball. If I remember correctly, he may even have been doing his warmup strokes to that point on the cloth and then dropping his elbow, or something, on the final stroke as he followed through. Yea, that's what he did! But WHY and how does it work?

Rod
10-31-2002, 12:49 PM
Dave I do that and so do a number of players not always for the same reason. On the break I do this because I do drop my elbow to hit the c/b center. Some do that and even off to one side then adjust during the stroke. Some don't even know there doing it. One guy I know adresses high on every shot and then hits it low or whatever english he chooses. In almost every case there all strong players.

10-31-2002, 12:55 PM
Only thing is, he wasn't putting the tip on the cloth in the same place everytime. He might move the tip in towards the cue ball or further back from the cue ball depending upon what type of english he was applying. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it like you suggest. Oh well! Always looking for something new even when it ain't broke! /webbbs/images/icons/smile.gif

smfsrca
10-31-2002, 01:57 PM
It could be he was using his tip as an aiming aid by lining it up with the two contact points: one on the near side of the object ball and one on the far side of the cue ball.

phil in sofla
10-31-2002, 11:32 PM
Here's a possibility.

Some people line up the shot by seeing how far over on the object ball the contact point is from the edge of the object ball (as seen from the line of the shot, behind the cue ball).

Let's say it's 1/4 inch to the left of the right edge of the object ball (you'd be cutting the OB fairly sharply to the left). The required contact point on the cue ball would be the equal/opposite point on the cue ball, meaning 1/4 inch to the RIGHT of the LEFT edge of the cue ball.

If they're aiming that way, they might first sight a line right through the cue ball, through that narrow fraction of the cue ball, to the contact point on the OB. However, stroking through the cue ball that far over would a) put a LOT of left English on the cue ball, b) bring squirt and throw into play on the shot, making it more difficult to say the least, and c) probably result in a miscue that far off the center axis of the cue ball.

So, once having determined that line with that aiming technique, instead of stroking through the cue ball at that far left side of the cue ball, they'd then parallel the line they got that way over to the middle of the ball. The two contact points would still be in alignment, but now the shot isn't loaded up with English and all the attendant possible problems of that, but a center ball hit.

This is more or less what I do, but I usually skip physically aiming the cue through the cue ball fraction, although I am mentally lining up the shot that way. By practice and experience, I see those CB/OB fractions aligned as I'm setting up on a center ball address, without needing to slide over to the actual fraction line on the cue ball, or any paralleling over from there.

Other players who use the method, and Chin (Chen?) who lays out the method in detail in his book 'Accuracy in Billiards' or something like that, advocate STAYING on that first line, unless there is a danger of miscuing, when they say to parallel over a little. Those people end up shooting with inside English much of the time, and using one or the other side of the ferrule to see the line.

Fred Agnir
11-01-2002, 07:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: dave:</font><hr> Awhile back I was watching a player determining his tip placement (I think?) on the cue ball in a manner that was unknown to me. What he would do is place his tip on the cloth in front of the cueball in different locations depending on the specific shot. It was as if he was placing his tip on a specfic point on the cloth where there was an imaginary ghost ball in front of the cueball! Then he would stroke and shoot the cue ball normally. Was he using this method to vary the placement of his bridge hand to get different tip placement on the hit or what? Anybody have a clue what I'm talking about here? My description is awkward and full of assumptions. TIA <hr></blockquote>
Was he Filipino? There is at least one stick aiming method that I know of (a Houle method) that sounds similar to this. The fact that his tip is in front of the cueball could be to compensate for the elbow drop (a la Bustamante). I assume that he pivots the stick back to center for a center ball hit?

Fred

dave
11-01-2002, 08:54 AM
"Was he Filipino? There is at least one stick aiming method that I know of (a Houle method) that sounds similar to this. The fact that his tip is in front of the cueball could be to compensate for the elbow drop (a la Bustamante). I assume that he pivots the stick back to center for a center ball hit? Fred "

No, he's not Filipino, but he does have an unusual stroke like many of the Filipino players. On the final stroke, he does come back up to center ball/axis (?), using an elbow drop. It seems an inordinately complex way of executing a shot but it seems to work for him.