PDA

View Full Version : Stuck On Stick Deal, Do You Tell Him?

Sid_Vicious
10-31-2002, 12:33 PM
If you met a stranger for the first time and he had a cue which was obviously a step or two up from WalMarts but hardly even that, and he talked about building another shaft for it, and at one time asked "Do you think I got took", would you tell him the truth and keep him from investing more into such a cue or would you keep your mouth shut?

sid

BLACKHEART
10-31-2002, 12:46 PM
I just made a shaft for a cheapo Hustler Q. I toid him that my usual price for a shaft was $100 & up, but if he didn't mind a shaft with less grain lines to the inch or a few dark mineral marks in the wood I could make him one for $75. NOPE, he wanted the better wood for $100. I'm sure the shaft is the best part of the Q,but that's what he wanted...JER

10-31-2002, 12:51 PM
If he asked you, it is because he respects your opinion and I would tell him the truth.It would be far worse to not, and have him hear it from somebody else later.

Rich R.
10-31-2002, 01:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: BLACKHEART:</font><hr> I just made a shaft for a cheapo Hustler Q. I toid him that my usual price for a shaft was $100 &amp; up, but if he didn't mind a shaft with less grain lines to the inch or a few dark mineral marks in the wood I could make him one for $75. NOPE, he wanted the better wood for $100. I'm sure the shaft is the best part of the Q,but that's what he wanted...JER <hr></blockquote>
Jer, I have to ask, what I think is, an obvious question. Was the guy a good player, looking to get a quality shaft on a cheap looking cue, in order to hustle?
This type of situation has been mentioned before.
Rich R.~~~Just curious.

Rod
10-31-2002, 02:14 PM
Sid, I'd kind of smooth an opinion in there if you know what I mean.

10-31-2002, 02:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> If you met a stranger for the first time and he had a cue which was obviously a step or two up from WalMarts but hardly even that, and he talked about building another shaft for it, and at one time asked "Do you think I got took", would you tell him the truth and keep him from investing more into such a cue or would you keep your mouth shut?

sid <hr></blockquote>

I'm with Rod on this one.. there is always a way to "smooth" an opinion to someone that can tactfully say "Dude, you got screwed.."

I might beat around the bush a little with things like "Well, it's not the best cue in the world, but if you like it.. thats all that matters."

On the other hand, if he can get a good shaft for it, it might not be all that bad.. I mean, I don't think the butt part of the cue will warp very easily, and the worst part about them wal-mart or K-mart cues is the shaft and tip, but otherwise, sometimes they have pretty neat designs (simple designs).