PDA

View Full Version : Unmakeable shots

dave
03-06-2002, 01:29 PM
I have the luxury of being able to practice at home; so during practice I will go for shots that visually appear unmakeable due to an interfering ball and they often go in despite appearances. I often wondered why I was able to make that ball with maybe less than half a pocket visible. Then the other day, Ewa Mataya said something while announcing a WPBA match that explained it so simply: Perspective makes the closer ball appear visually larger than it really is in comparison to the more distant ball and often makes it appear as if there are interfering edges when in fact there are not. How obvious and how simple an explanation! I wonder how many makeable shots we pass up because of this ?

JimS
03-06-2002, 01:58 PM
Thanks for that Dave. Jeff Carter once told me that if a ball looks like it won't quite go in, just barely won't make it...it probably will.

CarolNYC
03-06-2002, 05:12 PM
If you think about it, there are 6 pockets on the table, the ball has to find one of them to go in-the only problem is positon on the next shot!
Carol

MaineEAck
03-06-2002, 05:24 PM
there is a local guy who cvan spin shots in that look like there is no way it could ever actualy go in!