PDA

View Full Version : Quest cues: a brief report

BillPorter
10-31-2002, 01:22 PM
A while back I asked if anyone knew anything about Quest cues. No one seemed to know anything about them. I bought one on eBay for $112.50 plus $20 shipping/insurance/handling. Got the cue today. It was reported to be 20 oz.; actual weight 19.8 oz. Came with two shafts reported to be 13 mm. Actual diameter at the tip was 12.3 for one shaft and 12.4 for the other. Haven't hit a ball with the cue yet, but will let you know how I like the hit. As far as "fit and finish," I would rate the cue below Lucasi. Overall, the cue doesn't look and feel like it should for the $499 retail price you will find on the Quest cue Website. However, for $112.50, a decent cue with two shafts is not a bad deal. Tip diameter might be a little small for me though.

Rod
10-31-2002, 02:11 PM
Wow Bill, that's one hell of a difference 12.3 vs 13 mm. If it was me I'd send it back. It would feel like a tooth pick. Think about it before you play with it or chalk it.

BillPorter
10-31-2002, 04:11 PM
Rod, I agree. But I'm pretty sure I can sell the cue to someone locally and take little or no loss. Actually, when I played with it today (just chalking one shaft), I kind of liked it. You can spin your rock with those little tips! BTW, another thing I like is that it has no weight bolt--just a natural 19.8 oz.

BLACKHEART
10-31-2002, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the report. By the way, don't be fooled into thinking that a Q is free of a weight bolt,just because you can't see one. Some of those Qs from Tiawan have a bolt screwed & glued in place , then a solid butt cap glued onto the end...JER

BillPorter
10-31-2002, 04:51 PM
Jer, I removed the rubber bumper and found the butt had been pretty deeply drilled out. I'd say the hole was 6 or 7 inches.

BillPorter
11-01-2002, 12:42 PM
Just another point or two about the Quest cue I bought on eBay. The shaft diameter isn't quite as small as I first reported. I had measured the tips themselves, which turned out to be a bit of a conical shape (growing smaller as you go further from the ferrule). More careful measurement of the ferrules revealed 12.75mm and 12.6 mm for the two shafts. I noted that the shafts were darker wood and showed more grain and less fine grain than shafts on more expensive sticks. The linen wrap is NOT pressed and polished as I would prefer. Still, it's hard to beat the price--$112.50 for a decent stick with two shafts having layered tips. And pretty nice looking as well. I notice that the same seller (harrisonshaw) has a bunch more Quest cues on eBay (I just counted 47!) so I guess he has a truck load of them. Please note!- I am NOT connected with the seller and am NOT recommending that anyone purchase these cues! They are not, in my opinion, worth much more than the $112 I paid for mine. You have to wonder what the seller paid in order to make a profit selling these cues for about $100 each?!

SpiderMan
11-01-2002, 03:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: BillPorter:</font><hr> I noted that the shafts were darker wood and showed more grain and less fine grain than shafts on more expensive sticks. The linen wrap is NOT pressed and polished as I would prefer. <hr></blockquote>

Bill,

Is the wood a light yellowish-tan in color, and does it appear to have a finish applied over it for the entire length of the shaft? If so, it is probably ramin wood, a straight- but open-grained wood that is highly warp-resistant. It's disadvantage is that it is so coarse-grained that it can't be sanded smooth, therefore is usually seen with a finish applied (and the finish of course doesn't slide very well through fingers, especially on damp days).

Also, it sounds like the wrap is possibly not linen but some sort of synthetic cordage. Another "red flag" is the conical treatment you mentioned on the tips, which would seem like a sign of very rapid construction. Another thing to check would be the ferrule/shaft joinery. On many of the ramin imports you can actually feel a slight step if you snag your fingernail at the intersection of ferrule and shaft.

It is unusual to see cues of this type having two shafts, as this is the construction of most of the "Budweiser", "Nascar", and other similar inexpensive cues. Most of them do not play extremely well.

On the other hand, if you did receive two decent shafts made of real maple with the cue, it is possibly in the "Player" or "New Palmer" class of inexpensive but usable cues.

SpiderMan

BillPorter
11-01-2002, 09:24 PM
SpiderMan, I'm no expert on woods, but I think they are maple shafts. The Quest cue Website (http://www.questcues.com/index.shtml) states, "Hand made from hardwoods, they come with two maple shafts, fine Irish linen grip, a genuine pigskin, laminated 11 layer tip, and a quick release joint." The shafts did have a "finish" on them, but came quite smooth with a little work on my part. I have own a Players cue and I would put the Quest cue pretty neat that class of cue. Way ahead of a "Nascar" cue. Looks like Talisman tips and it uses a Uni-lock joint. But the quick and dirty tip treatment isn't up to the level of the rest of the cue. I wonder if anyone actually buys these cues from the Website for the "retail" price....

Coming to the Derby City Classic by any chance? I'll be there for sure.

SpiderMan
11-04-2002, 12:52 AM
I'd like to, Bill, but I have such a limited amount of vacation available that I can't use it for a lot of long-range travel. Two trips to 'Vegas each year plus a couple to visit my folks back home pretty much uses it up.

SpiderMan