PDA

View Full Version : Olney Cue Report

TommyT
10-31-2002, 04:26 PM
I recently purchased a cue from Jeff Olney. More people need to know about this guy. The cues points are sharp and even all the way around. The finish is great and the joint is a 3/8X10. But the kicker is the way the cue goes together. Jeff's 3/8 joint is like no other I've ever seen. He calls it a compression fit and it screws together as if the pin was going into wax.It is tight but no squeeking as its tightened. The cue hits very solid. I like the playability. I was so impressed I called up and ordered another one immediately. Jeff's a good guy to do business with. His website is www.galynx.com/jolney/index.htm (http://www.galynx.com/jolney/index.htm) check out his work.

TommyT

clarence
10-31-2002, 05:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TommyT:</font><hr> I recently purchased a cue from Jeff Olney. More people need to know about this guy. The cues points are sharp and even all the way around. The finish is great and the joint is a 3/8X10. But the kicker is the way the cue goes together. Jeff's 3/8 joint is like no other I've ever seen. He calls it a compression fit and it screws together as if the pin was going into wax.It is tight but no squeeking as its tightened. The cue hits very solid. I like the playability. I was so impressed I called up and ordered another one immediately. Jeff's a good guy to do business with. His website is <a target="_blank" href=http://www.galynx.com/jolney/index.htm>www.galynx.com/jolney/index.htm</a> check out his work.

TommyT <hr></blockquote>

how long is his typical delivery time/waiting time

TommyT
10-31-2002, 07:12 PM
I happen to know he is working on some cues he will be selling to the first ones who ask. Contact him.
TommyT

BLACKHEART
11-01-2002, 12:00 PM
His web site says the wait is 1 1/2 to 2 years...JER

Scott Lee
11-01-2002, 12:16 PM
I recently was in Des Moines teaching, and had the opportunity to meet Jeff Olney (he plays on Mike from Iowa's pool team). I also saw several of his cues, as many locals have them around IA. I was definitely impressed with the workmanship. Like Blackheart's cues, there is a lot of detail in the craftsmanship. I didn't see anything near as fancy as, say the cue that JER made for Karla Chorny (that cue is a KNOCKOUT, btw), but he does make a great hitting cue! Seems like the wait is a couple of years, unless you buy one he has for sale.

Scott Lee

SpiderMan
11-01-2002, 02:44 PM
Olney was on my "short list" of cuemakers (along with Alex Brick, Blackheart, Dave Barrenbrugge, and a few others) to consider when I was ready for a full custom. I like a cue with no wrap, so I was looking for someone who had some really good finish techniques to produce a great-looking all-wood cue.

I wound up going with Mike Erwin in Mississippi. He was one of Bob Meucci's first employees when he opened up in Memphis, eventually becoming his shop foreman for over a decade.

Mike left Meucci in the late '80s when he didn't like the way the quality and atmosphere was going. He and his son operate the custom cue business, doing all work by hand (no CNC).

I was turned on to Mike's quality by a local (Dallas) billiard-supply house, which outsources all of their repair and refinsh work to him. I drove to Mississippi and visited his shop back in July, and was impressed by the depth of finish he puts on his cues. Of course, part of my decision was influenced by being within a long day's drive so that I could check his work out firsthand. My custom cue should be ready early next year, so we'll see how it plays.

SpiderMan