PDA

View Full Version : Do you play better in QUIET or NOISY Environments?

bigbro6060
10-31-2002, 08:16 PM
Was watching some Snooker on video, the crowd were getting told off for just a bit of noise! this is the extreme of a quiet environment. Then on the flipside , you get the noisy pub, full of noise.

Which environment do you play better in ? Noisy or quiet ?

I think i play better in a quieter environment but doesn't have to be totally silent

Tom_In_Cincy
10-31-2002, 08:22 PM
I love to hear the balls rolling on the cloth on their way to the pocket.. that's kinda hard to hear with a lot of noise.

Other than that, its only annoying to be next to a group of 6 players out having fun, while I am trying to play some serious pool.

Right Wally?

Cueless Joey
10-31-2002, 08:22 PM
I can't stand the noise. I shoot bad enough without it.

10-31-2002, 10:33 PM
Quiet is definitely better.

A1

cueball1950
10-31-2002, 10:46 PM
i enjoy quiet. but then again as some of you who have met me know. I LOVE TO TALK TO EVERYBODY. ..lol. but if i am playing a serious game. quiet is always better. While playing a friendly game of 14.1 last friday the guys 12 tables over were playing a set for 50 and the loser got upset cuz we were calling our shots to loud. go figure......mike

stickman
10-31-2002, 11:16 PM
Definately quiet! Last night some friends and I went to the poolhall only to find it closed. They now close on Weds. nights. /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif My friends wanted to play so we went to a bar close by. The equipment was decent for a bar, the tables had just been recovered. There were a bunch of extremely LOUD noisy drunks in there and the table we got was right in front of some big speakers connected to the jutebox. On top of that, one end of the table was right next to the dance floor. This proved to be a challenge. LOL We had to yell at each other to be heard. A little background music or noise is okay, but this was way too much. Oh yeah, I shot terrible.

bigalerickson
11-01-2002, 12:01 AM
Give me one or the other. Its the imbetween that gets to me. If its silent I can focus if its noisy as Hell i can focus. But if its quiet with the occasional conversation, it will just drive me nuts.

I still haven't turned down the volume yet, probably just cuz im young.

al

Chris Cass
11-01-2002, 12:18 AM
Hi Bro,

I'm old school. I like it quiet with a one speaker radio playing soft blues at a low volume. A coke machine with the little bottles ice cold and chairs up on a platform for my oppenent to sit while I beat their brains in. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

If I find my Rhythm, they'll sing the Blues....Ahhh, that #### Leonard has me thinking of moving up.....

Regards,

C.C.

bluewolf
11-01-2002, 04:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Cueless Joey:</font><hr> I can't stand the noise. I shoot bad enough without it. <hr></blockquote>

quiet.was knocking them in on my table at home, now that i have found my rhythm. went to league and shot only medicre, returning to my old ways. but a new habit takes a monthe to set.

but definately quiet for me.

bw

Rich R.
11-01-2002, 05:14 AM
Quiet is definitely better. Maybe a little blues or jazz in the background, but it is not necessary. The clicking of the balls is enough.
Rich R.~~~can't stand the c'rap music.

eg8r
11-01-2002, 06:37 AM
Well at the ph i play in, it kind of matters what time you get there. On saturdays when we are playing it is usually quiet (music is on but not loud) and if we are lucky, the jukebox is playing some pink floyd. Once the owners son (still can't believe he is 1/3 owner of this place) shows up, he immeadiately goes in and cranks the sound up. I also believe that he has some sort of Eminem mix programmed into the machine. You get to hear your song, then an Eminem song.

Worst time to go is after 10 PM. That is when the crappy DJ shows up. Last night was techno crap. If I agree with Eminem on anything, it is "Nobody listens to techno". I wish the Moby wanna be last night would quit "spinning" and go get an education.

Anyways, that is how our ph is. I like to play on Saturday afternoons when it is quiet with the jukebox playing a little pink floyd (I think it would be nice to get some Monk, or Kenton in that thing but there is no chance given the current owenership).

eg8r

Karatemom
11-01-2002, 06:51 AM
I think it's easier to play when it's not too loud, and not too quiet, when it's just right. I play better this way. I can't have loud hard music playing or I'll start singing in my head, which is not good /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif. When the loud crowd comes in, it becomes very distracting as well. When it's too quiet, it's like I'm waiting to hear something and lose focus. I have to have some kind of background noise.

Heide

Perk
11-01-2002, 07:06 AM
I agree with most of the posts...it seems that serious pool, a low murmur is ok. I dont want total quiet, then the brain runs wild. As a bar room player converted to working on becoming a tourney player, I kinda like the music from the jukebox as long as its not loud. If i can play AC/DC "Money Talks", or Pink Floyd's "Money"...I zone in and become instroke fairly easily..Wonder why? LOL

I think that both extremes can hurt a game. Total silence, and you might have a hard time getting into the zone, and tune out spectators who might be whispering "their" out to their buddies. But Total noise is obviously disruptive to a serious match.....Just my thoughts!

=k=
11-01-2002, 07:06 AM
i really like quiet, but switched, due to i got used to quiet then when i go out to play they have music jacked up, so started playing music at home to get used to it.. K

eg8r
11-01-2002, 07:13 AM
I think the worst part about playing next to a group of people out having fun is that they will not sit down or move away from the table. They all seem to gather right in between the two tables and chat.

eg8r

Kato
11-01-2002, 07:17 AM
Shoot son, louder the better. The louder the room is the easier it is for me to babble incoherently to myself about everthing in the universe. Some really cranked up Metallica, Saliva, Disturbed, or Trust Company will help me there. Of course loud rap makes my head want to expolde so it's a catch 22.

Kato

Ralph S.
11-01-2002, 08:10 AM
Either way is fine by me, but I prefer it a little on the loud side with the old school metal playin. Stuff like Ozzy, Metallica, ACDC, Alice Cooper, etc.
Ralph S.&gt;still livin in the 80's I geuss....LOL

Chris Cass
11-01-2002, 10:03 AM
Hi Ralph,

Now going to a tourney. I listen to the music blasting and found that a lot of the 80's stuff, pumps me up and I want to play and can't wait. On the other hand when I do arrive. The 4-6 hr drive wore me out. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~likes Ozzie's "Going through changes".

9 Ball Girl
11-01-2002, 10:15 AM
Actually, it doesn't matter for me. If I'm in my Zone, I don't hear anything. If there has to be music, I prefer Classic Rock. On occasion you get the bangers playing next to you and whooping it up when they sink their balls and complimenting each other after going 100 rails, LOL. That could be annoying but every now and then I look at them and smile 'cause it reminds me of me years years years ago when I didn't know anything about having to focus on my stance, stroke, staying down, following through, etc. Sigh. /ccboard/images/icons/crazy.gif

Rod
11-01-2002, 12:27 PM
I like quiet but background music is ok like classic rock etc. Yesterday late afternoon I stopped by the pool room, actually I forgot it was halloween. Quite a few people there and there was going to be drink specials party etc. The music was already loud and no real pool players, can't imagine why. LOL Can't deal with loud music, ur unless I've had a few, so I left.

smfsrca
11-01-2002, 12:49 PM
"No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys.
Just pool. Nothing else. This is Ames, mister."

My kind of place.

Ludba
11-01-2002, 12:56 PM
I almost never notice the difference. One exception: if one person is being especially loud or just louder than rest of the room, then I notice. But when I'm playing, I'm trying to get into the place where I can't sense anything but what's on the table. If I've acclimated myself to the noise level before the game, I have no problem playing in a noisy or quiet room.

Voodoo Daddy
11-01-2002, 08:00 PM
Trust Company...ala Voodoo. Old man with grey hair and big belly that listens to "Classic Rock" teach's young Kato with the slicked back doo and the admiration of all the CCB women about new music. Chalk one up for "BIG POPPA"!!! Now if I can just get him to hate the Dolphins and the Terps...he'll be much easier to be around!!!