PDA

View Full Version : Is an 8-ft. table better than no table?

Cueless Joey
11-01-2002, 11:18 AM
I'm getting a new place. An 8 footer will fit but a niner ain't. I have a friend who has an 8 footer and doesn't even play in it b/c he thinks it ruins his already lousy game .laugh
Would you even bother w/ an 8 footer?
8 footers are cheap here. There are a ton of used ones in the classified. I still have a Simonis cloth waiting for a table. I don't play barbox.

Kato
11-01-2002, 11:20 AM
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!

Kato~~~what do I know?

Chris Cass
11-01-2002, 11:34 AM
Hi Joey,

Dr. Cue Rossman says, an 8 ft. is perfect to practice on at home. His reasoning is that you can play on a 9 ft. or bar trak and the change is minimal for both. He recommends it actually. Myself, I believe all I would really need is a shuffle board with slate on it covered in Simonis 860. Something like 2 ft. wide and 8 ft, long. JMO

Regards,

C.C.~~worse would be a table with plywood...

stickman
11-01-2002, 12:22 PM
If I ever finish putting mine together, I'll find out. LOL
But, I have to believe it is better than none. In fact, if you play on both 9 footers and barboxes, some say it is the perfect table to practice on, as the transition to either is easy. I love to play on the 9 footers, but actually play more on the barboxes. (league and most tournaments around here are on barboxes)

11-01-2002, 12:53 PM
I can tell you from experience that having an 8 ft. table IS better than having no table. I got mine in April and my game has definately improved regardless of table size. The only thing I would change about my table is the size of the pocket openings. I would make them tighter.
I have Mali cloth on my table and wouldn't change it. The reason is because most of the 9 ft. tables I play on during leagues or tournaments have Simonis (or similar) cloth. I can set up a shot on my table and hit it the same speed as on a 9 ft table with Simonis and come pretty darn close to the same (relatively speaking) position. Likewise, most of the bar box tables I play on during leagues have slower cloth than mine so it works that way too.
If you get an 8 ft. table with medium speed cloth, you'll be able to be consistent on just about any table.

11-01-2002, 01:04 PM
I just got my 9'er in sept. after having an 8'er for 4 years and I can tell you that an 8'er is better than having no table. Just think about it for a minute, what can you practice on an 8' table? Everything. Than all you have to do is make the adjustment when you hit the 9'er. I practiced on my 8'er and played the tournaments on the 9'ers and I think all I needed was to get a little time on the 9'er before the tournament to get my confidence on the longer shots which might look intimidating at first. You have more room on the 9'er but if you can move the cueball around on the 8'er you can move it on the 9'er. The other adjustments like speed, cushions etc. you'd have anyway even if you were going from your 8'er to the 8'er in the hall. Good luck, Terry

socrates
11-01-2002, 01:42 PM
IMO ABSOLUTELY

I might mention, in case you are not aware of this, that there is a home 8ft 44 X 88 and what is sometimes referred to as a pro-eight 46 X 92. I had a pro-8 before I was able to obtain a 9ft and it was a nice compromise before I built the addition. The pro-eight requires less room than a 50 X 100 9ft.

They are harder to find but if you primarily play on a 9ft and have the room for one it might be worth looking into.

11-01-2002, 06:00 PM
I agree with the others, but as long as you are moving anyway, why not keep looking until you find a place with a bigger room for a bigger table? Tear out a wall. Sell the television. And the bed. Well, maybe not the bed.

bluewolf
11-01-2002, 07:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> I agree with the others, but as long as you are moving anyway, why not keep looking until you find a place with a bigger room for a bigger table? Tear out a wall. Sell the television. And the bed. Well, maybe not the bed. <hr></blockquote>

I like my 8 foot pretty well but not as well as a 9 foot. We live in a condo and the only room the pool table would fit into was the living room, no way a 9 was ging in there. So the dining table got taken down and the lr furniture got put in the dr making it a little den.

most people think we are weird for putting a pt in the lr. all about priorities i guess &lt;G&gt;

bw

Rich R.
11-02-2002, 08:52 AM
In a perfect world, we would all have the money and the room for the table of our choice, but the world ain't perfect. My home table is an 8-ft and it is fine. Practice will help your game, whether on an 8-ft or a 9-ft. The only thing I would recommend is that you shim the pockets a little. I'm having this done to mine in a couple weeks when it gets recovered.
Tell your friend, if he used his 8-ft table more often, his game would improve.
Rich R.