PDA

View Full Version : I hate doing this, but. . . .

heater451
11-01-2002, 08:01 PM
I don't like making demands on the board, since it sets my tolerance level, and makes me more prone to doing it again, but:

PLEASE, START NEW THREADS FROM THE "HOTTEST PLAYER" THREAD!

The issue of a thread growing cancerous happens quite often, and I know it will always happen, but could you guys give the current one a rest already?

Thanks, in advance.

============================

Chris Cass
11-01-2002, 10:06 PM
Hi Heater,

I think the plans are in the works.

Regards,

C.C.

TomBrooklyn
11-01-2002, 11:58 PM
I hate that you did that too, Heater. You see, everyone has a different idea of what is hot and what is not. There are about 100 people who liked that thread enough to post to it, and over 15,000 views of it.

Why?

Frankly, I personally agree with you in that post is not one of my favorites, however,

Why not keep it all of it in one place on one line? This way if you we don't want to read it, we only have to ignore one line on the board rather than a bunch of sprouts cropping up all over the place? More importantly,

I would propose some questions to be considered by anyone who is thinking about suggesting how others should post.

Why do you feel the need to tell, suggest, or otherwise advise the average pool playing, pool fan poster on how, what, and where they should post? Do you really think or expect anyone else to adopt your exact concept of what is interesting, entertaining, or informative?

Isn't it presumptuous to consider your personal preferences superior to others' personal preferences?

Is that thread, or any other not counting the obviously obnoxious or vulgar ones, as boorish, tasteless, boring and/or as overrated as you might think it is, deserving to be condemned because it doesn't comform to your ideals.

If that is OK, let me know. Because then I would like to prepare a list of threads that I don't like and a list of posting guidelines I'd like everyone to follow.

Would anybody mind following my suggestions?

Is it OK to try to groom other people to your own image and likeness, and instill them with all of your own values and preferences. Thats what you do when you have kid, right? You can raise them any way you want and tell them what you want them to do. Unfortunatley(?), everyone on this forum already has parents.

And by the way, I personally think that thread is not so great; no offence meant to anyone, especially the obviously astute nAz, a man of the people, and heretofore to be known as the Chatty Crown Prince Of CCBdom.

=TB=

bluewolf
11-02-2002, 07:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> I hate that you did that too, Heater. You see, everyone has a different idea of what is hot and what is not. There are about 100 people who liked that thread enough to post to it, and over 15,000 views of it. &lt;snip&gt;

<hr></blockquote>

Tom,

You so eloquently discribed the rights we have to post to whatever thread we want and to decide what we want to say, within the guidelines of ccb (ie-the statement we all agreed to about obscenities etc)

OTOH, I have seen many post to 'let this thread die' etc. People have posted me privately to delete certain posts I had written.

Where do people's rights end, and where does respect for the comfort level and desires of fellow CCBers begin?

I would like to be on good terms with the people here so value the opinions of others. When what I have been posting here seems to be upsetting to others, I definately take that into consideration.Many times, what I posted wasn't particularly important to me or a poster got me to look at it in a new way so I did not mind deleting it. When I am saying something I feel strong about, I may not delete it.

But I see nothing wrong with a person stating their opinion about a particular thread. Some of us do try to listen to the desires of other ccbers and opt for the greater good of the forum.

Disclaimer-I am far from perfect, dont even do the above perfectly,do respect feedback from my fellow CCBers because that helps me to become a better member of this forum

bw

heater451
11-02-2002, 02:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> I hate that you did that too, Heater. You see, everyone has a different idea of what is hot and what is not. There are about 100 people who liked that thread enough to post to it, and over 15,000 views of it.<hr></blockquote>Tom, I understand that, and you are assuming that I am making a judgement call about the topic itself, which I am not. I normally have high tolerance levels, and I have usually steered clear of any of the "what is offensive" topics. --My issue is that, the thread WAS posted to, and "hot" when it made its first run. Then someone resurrected it--I believe without actually adding to it, as it was found that a thread could be brought back by posting to it, and then deleting the post. Then, it suddenly appeared to have new life, because some people who hadn't posted to it the first time probably thought it was a current thread and posted to it (yes, you could argue that it makes it current, but then we might as well revive every old thread about 'throw' or 'what beginner cue should I buy', instead of making new ones all the time).

Also, I used the term 'cancerous' in my earlier post, to refer to how the thread grows, without having anything to add to the topic. This happens a lot, and isn't too bad, considering that most of those threads are half the size of the "What's hot" thread, but do I have to deal with a War-and-Peace-sized thread, every time someone wants to attack the thread itself, call someone else's literacy level into question, attack or defend Carols kindness/cuteness, or banter about Bluewolf's posts?

[quote=TomBrooklyn}Why?

Frankly, I personally agree with you in that post is not one of my favorites, however,

Why not keep it all of it in one place on one line? This way if you we don't want to read it, we only have to ignore one line on the board rather than a bunch of sprouts cropping up all over the place?<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>At the point which I I am speaking, the fragment threads are not only unrelated to the original thread, but don't really have any value to them, beyond their parasitic attachment to the original thread. If they were tailored to be their own threads, they would die a quick death. Besides, even having multiple, small threads rotate to the top, doesn't cause the same screen real estate takeover that one HUGE thread does. <blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomeBrooklyn:</font><hr>More importantly,

I would propose some questions to be considered by anyone who is thinking about suggesting how others should post.

Why do you feel the need to tell, suggest, or otherwise advise the average pool playing, pool fan poster on how, what, and where they should post?<hr></blockquote>The only suggestion I made was to start new threads, which would fall under only the how/where categorie(s), towards which I have already given my reasons for asking for a change. --I am not going to go near the "these are not POOL-related posts" arena. (In fact, I don't think they should all be pool/billiard related. Not only is that unrealistic, I don't think it's that large of a problem--of course, if the board became 75% non-pool-related, then perhaps the name of the forum should change. . . . <blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomeBrooklyn:</font><hr>Do you really think or expect anyone else to adopt your exact concept of what is interesting, entertaining, or informative?

Isn't it presumptuous to consider your personal preferences superior to others' personal preferences?<hr></blockquote>I don't expect anything from anyone, other than the voicing of their opinion, whenever they feel the need. I have never posted a judgement on WHAT people should post--whether it was un-interesting, non-entertaining, or not informative.

I could agree about the "presumptuous" part, but you're failing to see the difference in a request and an order--THAT would be presumption. I used the word "demand" in my earlier post, but I consider that far from a foot-stomping, tantrum-like "suggestion". On the disagreement side, I wouldn't even consider my request a 'preference', in the configurative sense, more like an "it would be nice" way.

Further on the order of "presumptuous", I read an undertone to your post, which makes me question whether one of us is a pot, and the other a kettle.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomeBrooklyn:</font><hr>Is that thread, or any other not counting the obviously obnoxious or vulgar ones, as boorish, tasteless, boring and/or as overrated as you might think it is, deserving to be condemned because it doesn't comform to your ideals. <blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Again, you appear to be 'putting words in my mouth' (or post, as the case may be). And, again, you seem to think I have a problem with the thread. I am not condemning anything/one, and I would pose the question to you Is anyone really so self-important, that they think they can force an effect upon anyone else, by policing "ideals", in such an area as an online bulletin board? (Yet again, don't misconstrue my "suggestion/demand" as if I touted it as the word of God.)

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr>If that is OK, let me know. Because then I would like to prepare a list of threads that I don't like and a list of posting guidelines I'd like everyone to follow. <hr></blockquote>You can post whatever you want, including anything beyond what the Rules say (even disregarding your own agreement to them), as long as you realize that, somewhere along the line, there IS someone who can pull the plug. Oh yeah, and if you do post a list, keep a box of Kleenex handy, for the tears that well up when nobody listens. . . . /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr>Would anybody mind following my suggestions? <hr></blockquote>Some don't need the suggestions, while those that do need them probably won't change. I had just reached the point at which I wished to say something, other than shaking my head and scrolling down. Would you deny me the right to do that, while at the same time you defend the 'right' of others to post what they want, regardless of its value?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr>Is it OK to try to groom other people to your own image and likeness, and instill them with all of your own values and preferences. Thats what you do when you have kid, right? You can raise them any way you want and tell them what you want them to do. Unfortunatley(?), everyone on this forum already has parents. <hr></blockquote>I can see what you mean by this, even though you've stretched the discussion far beyond it's boundaries. BTW, your argument is flawed here, as assuming that "trying to groom other people" can be quantified. There can be no "grooming", unless the "other people" are subject (in the patriarchal/monarchal sense) to the "groomER". Unless you are dealing with a situation where there is a dominant/submissive class structure (which I assure you is not the case HERE), there is no "grooming" involved. Within a public forum, it basically boils down to, "you can TRY all you want. . ."

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr>And by the way, I personally think that thread is not so great; no offence meant to anyone, especially the obviously astute nAz, a man of the people, and heretofore to be known as the Chatty Crown Prince Of CCBdom.

=TB=<hr></blockquote>I did not post an opinion of the thread itself, so it is not necessary to temper your post with your opinion of the thread. And, although I was surprised that there weren't a lot of knee-jerk reactions to it originally, I still don't carry an desire to keep it or ditch it. (Again, it's the fragmentation that I was addressing.)

Oddly enough, I get the feeling that your post, which I have quoted here, seems to come from it's own reflexive area. Perhaps there have been to many recent posts about "what, how, and where" we should post, and you have reached YOUR limit. Anyway, I cannot fault you for "saying what you feel". I can only hope that you can see that the street runs both ways. . . .

I also hope that this exchange does not cause an indifference between you and I, as I hold no grudges, and hope that you do the same--yet feel free to do so, as that truly is your right.

==============================