PDA

View Full Version : Louie Roberts Autograph

JMD in VA
11-02-2002, 08:46 PM
A question to all out there. Does anyone have "St. Louis Louie" Louie Roberts autograph on a ball, and if they do, would they be willing to part with it? I need 2 on them if possible. Post up (no pun intended) and let me know. Thanks!

JMD in VA

11-02-2002, 10:29 PM
I think Louie has been gone since people have been having balls autographed. I have his autograph though, should you need one to compare to do an authentication. He was not straight a lot of the time, his signature may vary from one time to another.

Mike H
11-03-2002, 08:23 AM
I would get in touch with Dick Abbott at billiardcue.com. He might be able to locate what you're looking for if he doesn't have it.

Rod
11-03-2002, 02:31 PM
JMD, no I don't. Played Louie several times, he always wanted my money, not to happen though. I really like the guy, he reminded me of Elvis Presley good looking guy with a with a great personality, in his younger years. Dam shame what he did to himself.

Vagabond
12-01-2002, 07:47 PM
Hi Rod,
At one point louie had a room mate who now lives in Tucson.His name is Doug.Have u run into Doug any time? Doug is a very good one pocket player. cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rod
12-01-2002, 09:19 PM
Hi Vagabond,
No I don't know Doug or if I did I don't remember. I quit playing for years around that time when I moved to Tucson. If Doug was a strong player he never asked to play or my memory isn't worth a crap. Could be the ladder but not likely, I remember the good ones, I think. LOL

Vagabond
12-02-2002, 06:32 PM
Howdy Rod, Doug is 6 feet 3or4 inches tall and now around the age of 58 or59 years old and one of the top players of Arizona.u rarely see him wearing a cllored shirt.By any chance do u own a Bar in Phoenix where one of the top female player of Arizona works as a waitress? cheers
Vagabond

Rod
12-03-2002, 01:49 AM
Well Vagabond, I still don't know Doug or just can't remember, could be either. Your info on the ladder is a little old.

Deeman
12-03-2002, 08:19 AM
I played Louie almost every day while I lived in Memphis. We even traveled to Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas to make a little action, very little most trips. Anyway, I always carried a .45 automatic in my bag and Louie was so frightened of it he would not even touch it. Anyone who thinks Louie stuck one in his mouth and pulled the trigger, didn't spend a lot of time with him. He had problems always did. But he would have jumped out a window, taken a handful of pills, never with a gun. He loved that little boy face too much as well. The kid could play when he got it together. Sadly, that wasn't very often. Loved hitting one pocket with him and learned a lot from his manners at the table.

I don't have a signed ball from him, just an IOU for two large. I do still have a stick he stuck me with. Louie was a nice guy with a lot of energy. Too bad he's not still here. He was very happy at Highpockets in Memphis, just couldn't make a living there, or anywhere else I suppose. It's sad how little good shooters are worth these days. I have a couple of great stories on him if anyone wants to hear them.

Dee

Rod
12-03-2002, 11:37 AM
Dee,
Louie was a nice guy and a good looking guy at that. His manners around the table was always as a gentelman. I only know him a as pool player that wanted my money. We never talked for more than a few minutes at any given time. That was usually before a game or a little afterwards.

I really didn't know Louie, as a friend, nor most of the players as a friend I played over the years.
I didn't know Louie had committed suicide until I read an old newspaper clipping abt 1991. I don't remember the date but I do remember that he sure had changed. By the picture he looked heavy and as we all do loose our boyish face. I quit playing for many years, moved to Tucson, so all of this transpired when I was away from the game. It could be as you say he would not have done such a thing, I don't know. All I know is what I read so I took it as a fact.

Your comment is interesting about him not playing good very often. In my case he never seemed to be a big threat the few times we played. A few years ago I read he had won the US Open. I'm thinking Louie, how did you do that. I was kind of amazed to tell you the truth. It is to bad he is not around it would be nice to talk with him after all these years. Sadly that won't happen but I've run into several players from the past around here since my return.

Deeman
12-03-2002, 12:11 PM
Rod,

Louie was like a lot of frustrated pool players but tried to stick it out to make a living. I know he could play well but, like you, knew I was about even to beat him on most days and I'm just a strong "A" player. I think him, Tommy Kennedy (a great guy but not an enduring talent)and maybe a lot of other guys sort of have their day but don't have the "forever" skills of a Strickland or Buddy Hall.

I guess it just has to suffice to say that Louie was a nice guy but in a world where nice guys have a hard time. It's easy to be a personable guy when you have a nice income from pool but how many can say that. I'm a VP in manufacturing and I remember many times a couple of the guys on tour saying, "Hey, you need to try pool for a living." My question was always, "Man, what year car do you drive? How's your family life? How many events did you travel to for a $500 tenth place payout? How's that retirement plan working out?"

I love pool and have for about 40 years but it's a hard mistress if you want a career. I'll jusr keep hitting them for my own entertainment...

Dee

Rod
12-03-2002, 01:32 PM
Dee,
Ditto on everything you said. The guys or gals that want to make it a career just don't have a clue of what it really takes to be out there. I played on the road for a little over two years. During that time it was motels, hotels ect. At times I was fortunate enough to stay with some friends, or family. It was always about the money and finding a game not something I'd ever want to do again. Ha I got a laugh my car was old, no health ins, what family or retirement plan! Going back to work was a joy plus I could play at night or weekends. I actually played real strong afterwards with a steady income.

I played Louie sometime after all that, appx mid 70's. As mentioned he was not a big threat and never won any of our sessions. At the time I was notorious for putting a few racks together. The last time we played I run 7 then he asked for weight. I said no because I thought his backer was short on cash. He told Louie, ok play a couple more. You know Louie wanted to play. Louie says call it as in flip for the break. What do you mean Louie I still have the break. I run two more and they quit. That was my highest run ever, and I never found out if there was few more.

Louie was a nice guy always but as you mentioned that is not enough. Like you I still enjoy the game, practice and play in tournaments sometimes.