PDA

View Full Version : Any info on NCAA POOL Tournaments???

cuechick
11-02-2002, 10:10 PM
I thought I heard Charlie Williams won this once, and wondered how a future college student friend of mine could partcipate?

PQQLK9
11-03-2002, 10:19 AM
hope this helps..
http://www.uusa.vt.edu/leisure/biltourn.htm

eg8r
11-04-2002, 07:21 AM
The tournament you are talking about is called the ACUI tournament. You will have to contact your local college union to see if they are participating. The tournament is pretty tough even in the regionals, not counting when you get to the next level and play all the regional winners.

Only first place gets to advance and it is tough. I do not believe Charlie won this event, because you have to be in college to play. I don't believe Charlie ever went to college. Max Eberle won the event a couple times I believe, and so has Nick Varner (he played back when it was straight pool). If you want to see what you are up against, ask Harold Acosta if Jason is still playing. Man, can that kid shoot. He makes 9 ball look boring because his shots are sooooo easy, lol.

I believe the event that Charlie has won was the Amatuer under 18 event. You could contact Chris in NC (he used to post here but has left the board) I think the name of his hall is called Family Billiards in Boone, NC. His son played in this tournament once before, and he would have all the knowledge about qualifying for this tournament (you might be too old for this one).

eg8r

Scott Lee
11-04-2002, 08:08 AM
cuechick...Both PQQLK9 and Eg8r gave you good information. I have been involved with ACUI since 1973, both as a player, and as a mentor to younger players all over the country. Three of my students have won the national collegiate title, so I have a good idea of what it takes to get there. BTW, your friend must be a registered student, taking 6 hrs minimum to qualify...and be in good academic standing with the school.

There are 15 'regions' around the country. The website for Virginia Tech has good info, but most schools schedule only one or two tournaments, usually during the fall semester, to qualify students to go on to one of 15 regional tournaments. Generally, only the top two or three qualify to advance, and some schools may pay for the students to go to the regional tournament...others may have to pay their own way. The WINNER of each regional tournament (one man and one woman) then advance to the national tournament, which is paid for by the school hosting the regional (airfare and hotel). The regional tournaments are held in Feb., and the national tournament is held at the end of April. The host region for the national tournament gets to send two players, instead of one, rounding out a field of 16 men and 16 women to compete for the titles. Prizes at the national tourament are scholarship funds, cues, and other donated prizes. The ACUI (Association of College Unions International) tournament has been going on for more than 50 yrs. It used to be straight pool until the 80's, when it switched to 8-ball. In the early 90's they changed again, to 9-ball. The ACUI national headquarters is in Bloomington, IN, and they can tell you if your school is signed up, and where the regional tournament is for your area, and where and when the national tournemant is held.

Hope this helps!

Scott Lee

eg8r
11-04-2002, 09:57 AM
Hello Scott,

I was happy, when I played for the University of Florida they paid for the whole thing. We did not spend a dime, just had to win a qualifier, lol I won the second to last week. I never did anything in the tournament my first year (2 and out). When I was in school at the University of Central Florida, I again won the qualifier at my school, and went on a paid vacation to the regional. I did a little better, but my advantage was that the regional was at UF, lol. I did pretty well finishing in the 21 to 26 or something like that. We had 81 players there that weekend, and I was happy I played better. My losses came to number 3 in the tourney and a guy that finished in 7 or 8.

Cuechick, this is one the best times I have ever had in a tourney. It is fun to go away with a bunch of friends from the school to play pool, especially on the schools dime.

eg8r