PDA

View Full Version : Be honest.! What %

11-02-2002, 10:34 PM
This may have ben asked before. But since i am new. What percent of your life is about Pool. In one form or another.ie: thinking about it. Playing it. i was just wondering if everybody on here is a serious player. I do not mean gambling. Just a serious player who loves the game. So lets be honest please...................John K

11-02-2002, 10:50 PM
Until you asked I had not thought about it. The answer is lot. I play every day of my life and have for many years. My wife plays and we met at the pool room. All my pets have pool related names and most of the people I associate with are pool players. The homes I have owned were selected based on being able to put in my table. The home I am currently having built has a design that revolves around the billiard area. Our cars have vanity plates pool related. Does that answer your question.

nAz
11-02-2002, 11:03 PM
well for me between Oct. and March i play about 3 days a week maybe 3 hours a day. the rest of the year im playing basketball or base ball i rarely play pool in the summer way too nice to be in doors.

Voodoo Daddy
11-02-2002, 11:25 PM
Honesty...a subject I can be part of. I work 10 hours, 4 days a week. I sleep 7 hours a day, 7 days a week After those to mandatory actions I would I spend 85% of my free time in the ph...teaching or torturing someone. I met my EX in a pool room and will probably met my next female interest in a ph too....if I havent met her already.

bigalerickson
11-03-2002, 12:05 AM
Let me put it to ya this way, I haven't played pool since July 3. And everytime I walk by my pool table I still circle it, and think of times past, games played, and stories lived and told. I love the game of pool, nad if it weren't for my back i'd be playing 2 hours a day.

al

Tom_In_Cincy
11-03-2002, 12:21 AM
Let's see.

there must be at least 5 pieces of chalk on my bed stand.
I do my own tips.
I check my wallet before I leave the house at nite to see what my limits are.
All my spare money goes to pool.. entry fees. side bets.. hotel rooms

All my friends are pool nuts

I would say that most of my time away from work is pool related..

75% is probably on the conservative side

Chris Cass
11-03-2002, 12:40 AM
I shoot 7 days a week. 6-7 hrs average per day. Attend the Midwest 9Ball Tour stops (except for Mo.), Have a Heckle 'n Jeckle crow tattoo on my arm holding a 9ball in one wing and a pool cue in the other. I have a JJustis Case, a South West cue worth tons and met my wife playing. She plays and my 10 yr. old plays too. I'm rated second in posting which basically means that, I have too much free time. I sleep to pool hypnosis tapes. Watch, pool tapes and even dream about it. It's the last thought in my mind before I sleep and the second thing I think about when I wake. The first is Coffeee>>>>> hahahaha Oh, I only have friends that play pool. They're all here too. I do have other pool friends but I'm not as close as the friends I have made here./ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

So, pretty much, I'm hooked like a big fish.

Regards,

C.C.~~I'd say about 85%

cheesemouse
11-03-2002, 05:30 AM
On the hill,
Thanks for pointing out how my selfish obsession controls my shallow life. The % is high. I have a home table, I give lessons and virtually the only time I get out of my home town is to compete in pool tournaments.....aghhhhhhhhhhhhhh...and now I sit here at 5:22 in the morning answering your, I think tongue in cheek, post. I read your bio and for your third post I think you've done all pool players a great disservice for making us think about this subject...I've got to go hit some balls and think about my future.....LOL /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

P.S. I hope a tournament comes to your area that you would love to sweat and your wife makes you go shopping with her instead. LOL /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

11-03-2002, 06:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: on the hill:</font><hr> This may have ben asked before. But since i am new. What percent of your life is about Pool. In one form or another.ie: thinking about it. Playing it. i was just wondering if everybody on here is a serious player. I do not mean gambling. Just a serious player who loves the game. So lets be honest please...................John K <hr></blockquote>

Hmm.. lets see, I try to play at least one hour a day, sometimes up to 6 or 7 hours a day on my days off. I have a table in my living room (4'x8'), and once in a while I go out and play somewhere, but usually I just stay home and shoot.

When I'm not eating, I shoot.
When I'm not watching videos of pro players, I shoot.
When I'm not taking a shower, I shoot.

However, I still find time to hang out with my friends and stroll the downtown scene here and there.

Probably 35% since work takes up 8 hours of my day, sleeping takes up 4-8 hours a day. If I sleep for 8 hours, and then work for 8 hours, I play pool for 2 hours, and do nothing for 6 hours, then it's less than 25% of my time, but usually I play off and on for 4-6 hours, and I play alot more on my days off.

Hmm..

bluewolf
11-03-2002, 06:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bigalerickson:</font><hr> Let me put it to ya this way, I haven't played pool since July 3. And everytime I walk by my pool table I still circle it, and think of times past, games played, and stories lived and told. I love the game of pool, nad if it weren't for my back i'd be playing 2 hours a day.

al <hr></blockquote>

I feel for ya al. Would your back allow you to knock in a rack, say 2-3 times a week?

I have back problems but probly not as bad a s yours. When my back hurts real bad, I bend deeply at the knees to take the strain completely offa my back. Scott Lee told me I did not look like a pool player in that stance, but what the h as long as we get to play the game we love.

bw

bluewolf
11-03-2002, 06:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> Honesty...a subject I can be part of. I work 10 hours, 4 days a week. I sleep 7 hours a day, 7 days a week After those to mandatory actions I would I spend 85% of my free time in the ph...teaching or torturing someone. I met my EX in a pool room and will probably met my next female interest in a ph too....if I havent met her already. <hr></blockquote>

Gosh. sounds a little like me. with my new job, i have over an hour commute, so by the time I get home I have been up since 5 and put in 10-12 hours getting to work and working,5 days a week. I used to put in 2 hr per day on my table when I wasnt working.

Now it will probably be 30min to an hour several times a week,with one two hour session a week. I play league on thurs night which I am now hating because I have to get up so early.

I dream about pool and my hubbie and I talk about pool all the time and watch it whenever it comes on tv.

bw

rackmup
11-03-2002, 08:48 AM
An average week:

Monday No pool. Have to do things like laundry, grocery shopping, etc.
Tuesday Pool league starts at 7. I get to the room about 4 and practice on the 9' GC until 7, then move to the 8' tables for league. Play till about 9:30-10 and then head home.
Wednesday Practice for about 4 hours after church at Billy Weir's on the 9' Diamond Pros. Drills and stuff unless OPC is there then we play 1-hole and I get beat up.
Thursday Six hours of practice &amp; play at Billy Weir's with eg8r and OPC.
Friday 8-10 hours at Billy Weir's.
Saturday 10-12 hours at Billy Weir's, practicing drills, playing 1-pocket and 9-ball with the assorted outlaws.
Sunday Afternoon bar-box league and an evening 8-ball league on the 8'ers at Speed's Billiards.

Before moving to Texas my game was stronger. I lived two miles from my homeroom and practiced everyday, focusing on drills (some provided by the esteemed Dr_D, BCA instructor Glenn Bond and some found in books and the internet) for a minimum of 6 hours daily.

The pool rooms here are all a little farther away and my involvement in my church has curtailed the table time.

Regards,

Ken

Karatemom
11-03-2002, 08:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> I shoot 7 days a week. 6-7 hrs average per day. Attend the Midwest 9Ball Tour stops (except for Mo.), Have a Heckle 'n Jeckle crow tattoo on my arm holding a 9ball in one wing and a pool cue in the other. I have a JJustis Case, a South West cue worth tons and met my wife playing. She plays and my 10 yr. old plays too. I'm rated second in posting which basically means that, I have too much free time. I sleep to pool hypnosis tapes. Watch, pool tapes and even dream about it. It's the last thought in my mind before I sleep and the second thing I think about when I wake. The first is Coffeee&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; hahahaha Oh, I only have friends that play pool. They're all here too. I do have other pool friends but I'm not as close as the friends I have made here./ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

So, pretty much, I'm hooked like a big fish.

Regards,

C.C.~~I'd say about 85%
<hr></blockquote>

TRY 99%!!!!!!!! I get the other 1% /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Heide~ you know I'd have something to say about that one

Karatemom
11-03-2002, 09:00 AM
This is an easy one /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif.

40% - family
30% - work
30% - pool

Heide ~ my plate is full

Brent
11-03-2002, 09:58 AM
Hi all. Well Im quite new but deem I hooked. I play about 10-14 hours a week. Last night me and my friend did a new record in our local poolhall. We had the table by ourselves for 7 hours. Maybe its not much for all u pool-holics /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif but man my neck and feet were killin me at the end. To be honest I dont have a lot of free time at hand cuz I attend college 5 days a week and they expect alot of homework from me /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif That doesnt concern me much though and I d say I do pool-releated things 30% of my time. OK take care.

Brent is badly hooked...

Patrick
11-03-2002, 01:36 PM
It is 100%. Everything I do, I do it to reach perfection in pool. But I only play real life pool every 2 months.
When I am watching tv and do other stuff, I get new ideas on how to reach perfection. I do things that are not pool related, but all of the things really are, if you play computer games you are improving your skills, and you can use everything you have learned for pool. The whole journey is to reach perfection, when you are perfect, you are perfect in pool, perfect in every sport, perfect in everything.

I do weightlifting to improve pool, to be able to make faster breaks. To be able to improve the strength and muscle mass you will need a good diet. So everytime I am eating and resting my muscles I am improving my pool game. It takes about 5 days to recover from every workout, so 100% of that time is used to get better at pool, to reach closer to perfection.

Patrick

Rod
11-03-2002, 02:12 PM
The last two days a lot. Usually not very much maybe 6 hours a week. That's just so I know what end of the cue to hold.

Scott Lee
11-03-2002, 02:37 PM
Without even reading the other posts, I can guess that MOST of the responses will vary from 50-100%. In my case, pool is my hobby, my passion, and my job. Even so, I don't devote 100% of my time to it, as your life will likely suffer in other areas if you devote too much time to ANY one thing! However, pool does get the majority of my attention, much of the time.

Scott Lee

Brent
11-03-2002, 03:43 PM
&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Patrick:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; It is 100%. Everything I do, I do it to reach perfection in pool. But I only play real life pool every 2 months.
When I am watching tv and do other stuff, I get new ideas on how to reach perfection. I do things that are not pool related, but all of the things really are, if you play computer games you are improving your skills, and you can use everything you have learned for pool. The whole journey is to reach perfection, when you are perfect, you are perfect in pool, perfect in every sport, perfect in everything.

I do weightlifting to improve pool, to be able to make faster breaks. To be able to improve the strength and muscle mass you will need a good diet. So everytime I am eating and resting my muscles I am improving my pool game. It takes about 5 days to recover from every workout, so 100% of that time is used to get better at pool, to reach closer to perfection.

Patrick &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

Man u do it all to be perfect but play real pool every 2 months. Did I get that right or are u a dummie no offence. Even a small-time like me know that in pool its all about practise practise and one more vital component PRACTISE. Man u can be perfect as hell but if u play every 2 months...well...ok Im not saing I could beat u or something like that..but I am gonna say this: GO OUT AND PLAY cuz pool is great game...amen

Brent saying how things are /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

11-03-2002, 04:58 PM
Let's see:

I work 50-60 hours a week in a pool room.
I play on average about 5 hours per day, 6 days per week.
I write pool related articles and books.
My only hobby is pool and cue collecting.
I have more cues than rooms in my house.
I have more cue cases than suitcases.
When I am home, my wife keeps me behind the 8-ball.

I think that adds up to about 99%.

:-)

bigalerickson
11-03-2002, 08:21 PM
ITs a pinched nerve, so the pain goes from lower back, all the way through my left leg. So, any type of things like pool, just are not doable. sadly.

bluewolf
11-03-2002, 09:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bigalerickson:</font><hr> ITs a pinched nerve, so the pain goes from lower back, all the way through my left leg. So, any type of things like pool, just are not doable. sadly. <hr></blockquote>

bummer al. sorry to hear about that. hope the docs can do something to help you.

bw

bigalerickson
11-04-2002, 01:42 AM
Brent,

You have to remember, Patrick is a looney. But he is the CCB looney, so just smile, nod, and keep reading.

Al... pissed that the only % of his life currently involving pool, is reading a message board on the internet...At least I still have chess.

Patrick, do you play chess?

Patrick
11-04-2002, 07:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bigalerickson:</font><hr> Patrick, do you play chess?
<hr></blockquote>Yes, it helps my pool game. I play chess to get better strategy in Rotation Straight Pool. You need to calculate many shots ahead and see what the opponent can do.

Patrick

Patrick
11-04-2002, 07:45 AM
You only need practice if you don't know what you are doing, when you play with memory, experience and feel. You need practice to make the same shot over and over again until you don't miss it.

I play with knowledge so I don't need to practice, I only need to practice when I add everything together, like when adding the mental and physical parts together.

Every 2 months when I go back to the pool room, I play better than last time. I play 3 days so that I get used to every movement I make on the table. On the 2nd day I play about the same as the last time's 3rd day. And on the 3rd day I play better than ever. Then I take another 2 months break and do it again, so I am always improving my game.

You don't need to play exactly 3 days, you need to play until you reach your highest level. Then you take a break and try to improve your game further. And when you come back, you can use the new knowledge to your game.

I have found that the best length of every session is 2 and a half hours. When I started playing pool I never played less than 7 hours a session, now I know it all was a waste.
You need to concentrate very hard in a session and you can't do it if you play longer than a couple of hours. You can't just concentrate your hardest every day you play, you need to take a break from pool when you can't concentrate anymore. This is why I take a 2 month break so I can concentrate my hardest the next 3 days. The harder you concentrate, the better you will become. The harder you concentrate, the longer rest you will need. This is like in weightlifting, the more intensity you use, the longer it takes for the muscles to recover.

Stephen Hendry only concentrates his hardest in the Embassy World Championships.

Patrick

Lester
11-04-2002, 11:24 AM
Okay John, let me respond to you - since you had the courage to register first and then post a question. I consider myself a "diverse" individual. I mean I usually pursue anything I take an interest in, with a legitimate fervor. However, this danged "game" if you want to call it that is like the Mafia. Once you're in, ---you can't get out. Every moment of my existence has something pool related in it. I am convinced that my other committments are "holding me back" from progressing in this game. My job, my family - they are all detrimental. Alas, these are the "horns of the dilemma" I find myself impaled on. At least I have the CCB, with others that share my predicament. I feel I am not ALONE. Welcome John to this group. ***Lester***

Fred Agnir
11-04-2002, 02:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: on the hill:</font><hr> This may have ben asked before. But since i am new. What percent of your life is about Pool. In one form or another.ie: thinking about it. Playing it. i was just wondering if everybody on here is a serious player. I do not mean gambling. Just a serious player who loves the game. So lets be honest please...................John K <hr></blockquote>
If we disregard sleeping, I'd say somewhere between 110 - 125%. Honestly.

Fred &lt;~~~ 36.4%?

Kato
11-04-2002, 03:47 PM
5 years ago I was really bad, 6 days a week, 8 hours a day. Now I'm about 2 or 3 times per week, 2-4 hours a pop. I think about it enough and dream about it to but it doesn't dominate my life like it used to. However, last night I got a little tingle, sort of something I was hoping to get again. JackPot George told me he had the fever again last Wednesday, don't tell me I'm coming down with it to?

Kato~~~right now, 10%. 6 months from now........unlimited percentage.

11-05-2002, 05:20 AM
Have u seen the guys website???? lmao

11-05-2002, 05:40 PM
Stretch here, and Stretch Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuves pool. You ever found something that you loved so much you just wanted to do it all the time?......(in public that is lol). Well for me that's pool. Lately i'd have to say that my alter ego "pool guy" inhabits my body 50% of the time. I call it dedication, my "ex" called it obsesive compulsive, my therapist calls it multiple personality disorder, and my girl friend thinks I'm cheating on her, (what and cut in to my pool time? NEVER!) St

11-06-2002, 10:15 AM
there used to be a time when it was about just playing pool , i used to play for 10 to 20 hours at a time , but sadly not anymore if im not gambling or playing in a tournament i have no interest. the only exception to that rule is when a beautiful young lady wishes to practice a little before a tournament. rozz

Chris Cass
11-06-2002, 10:23 AM
Hi Rozz,

Are you trying to tell me if noone asked you to play for some doe and you just didn't play in any tourneys. You would pick up a cue and want to hit some balls? I don't think so brother. It's in your blood and just fess up. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~knows when someone is fooling themself.