PDA

View Full Version : Exercise, Fitness and Pool

bigbro6060
11-03-2002, 04:22 AM
When i decided to take Pool up 'seriously' (all of 2 months ago), i decided that if i was to devote the hours to playing pool, i would make myself get in tip top shape. Not to help my Pool but because i didn't want to become a lard arse and i see too many overweight Pool players who obviously think that playing Pool is the most important thing and health and fitness isn't. I wasn't exactly out of shape before anyway, just had maybe 5-8kg to lose. Anyway i have been running or lifting weights 5 morning a week and am in pretty damm good shape. I see allowing myself to play Pool as a reward for this exercise.

anyway , having just got my table a few days ago and having been playing for hours on end, i think i've underestimated how much exercise u can get from playing pool. Well definitely more than sitting on the sofa and watching TV. What do u guys reckon ?

cheesemouse
11-03-2002, 06:02 AM
bigbro6060,
Most people who don't play our game also don't relate fitness to playing good pool. If your a tournament player stamina definitely comes into play in the later rounds of events. Just last weekend a friend of mine and myself finished fourth/fifth in a weekend event. On the drive home we discussed what had just happened and we both came to the conclusion that we faded when it counted the most, those last matches where the $$$ really started to counted. In order to win you have to have something left in your tank to feed your mind at the end, if your out of shape your most likely going to make that one mental error that costs you big-time. We both determined to work on our physical fitness so we'd have that edge for the end game of tournaments. I suppose if your just a recreational player the lack of stamina my never effect your level of play and hauling around a big fat a$$ may never be of consequence in your win/lose record but if your sticking, no pun, it out there in ten or eleven long matches over a two day period you better loose the gut or be satisfied with 'also ran'.......now drop down and give me 20......LOL /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Karatemom
11-03-2002, 08:45 AM
IMO, pool is great exercise for your legs and arms. When I practice for hours on end, my arms come out of it sore, my fingers exhausted, and my feet aching. This is not a bad thing, because I believe it will eventually build my stamina in the long run. Exercise can only help your game.

JMHO,

Heide ~ should be exercising or shooting pool instead of sitting at this computer /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Chris Cass
11-03-2002, 10:47 AM
Hi honey,

This is one of the reasons I let you, mow the lawn, laundry, vacuum, the dishes, iron, take out the trash, make the bed, make dinner, clean the house, and take care of that 10 yr. old. It's because I'm trying to pull your game up. While, I'm at the ph trying to work for a living./ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

C.C.~~/ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif Know's Heide does so much and deserves more free time. I'm working on it.

JimS
11-03-2002, 12:13 PM
In keeping with CC's attempts to help Heide pull her game up I think that many of those activities that Chris let's Heide do could incorporate a "stroking" motion as part of the "training" process. Good ole Chris....always trying to be helpful....WHAT A GUY!

Rod
11-03-2002, 02:24 PM
Jim, Maybe CC didn't mention it's a push lawn mower! LOL That helps Heide with her break, arm strength you know. Wonder if I can con, er convince some aspiring pool player to mow my lawn!

bigbro6060
11-03-2002, 05:26 PM
On a side note, i have never seen a Pool hall whichs sells anything other than the very worst junk food. So people who play pool often get into the beer and fatty foods which can't help.

Mika Immonen is one player who apparently plays close attention to his fitness and what he eats

Chris Cass
11-03-2002, 08:19 PM
Hi Bro,

I agree. The food at the ph's are terrible. Except, Whitey's in Burlington, Ia. Their food is great and healthy too.

I totally also with the Cheese. He tells it all and isn't holding back. Those last rounds are really what separates the fit and the not so fit. He didn't mention the amout of players in the event also the caliber of players. Cheese, your strong and I need weight for sure.

Regards,

C.C.

Karatemom
11-03-2002, 10:01 PM
Okay, now I see whose side you two are on /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif. You're too far away, Rod, for me to get to you yet, but you Jim, wait til next Saturday in Burlington. I'll be there, cue in one hand, and grass clippers in the other /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif.

Heide ~ anxiously awaiting Burlington, not just for revenge /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

JimS
11-04-2002, 08:04 AM
I can't come Sat......plan to be there Sunday. Anxious to see your break...what with all the strength built up for the leg push towards the rack derived from the push lawn mower. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Kato
11-04-2002, 12:47 PM
Is that all she does? I thought you said she was busy? Hey Chris, when you let her mow the lawn do you make her wear big old Frankenstien boots for extra leg strength?

Kato~~~is thinking Chris might have the most wonderful wife in the universe.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-04-2002, 03:22 PM
Don't fool yourself into thinking pool is good exercise. You know better than that.

Cheesemouse is right, it takes stamina, just like driving a car for long periods takes stamina. But the stamina should come from regular exercise. Keep your belly flat and your abs and back in good shape, that's the most important thing because pool can take a toll on your back.

I leave you wishing I had a flat belly...sigh.../ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Karatemom
11-04-2002, 04:58 PM
Sorry you can't be there Saturday. Hopefully, by Sunday, I'll still be in it to be able to show you my "power" break /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif. Actually, for only being 90 lbs, I suppose my break is pretty good /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif. Whether I'm in it on Sunday or not, I'm sure Chris will still be in so I'll be there cheering him on.

Heide