PDA

View Full Version : Derby city

11-03-2002, 01:04 PM
Any tentative plans for the Derby City tournament? Really looking forward to going. Little over 60 days and time has a way of flying.
Long time reader of CCB

11-04-2002, 04:59 PM
Frendly group.

Tom_In_Cincy
11-04-2002, 05:33 PM
I know of at least 5 CCB registered posters that are going for sure.

I will be playing in the BANK and One Pocket events.

If you are interested in meeting the CCB regulars.. check out the message board outside the convention center for CCB posts..

eg8r
11-04-2002, 06:37 PM
I would like to go, but will have to see how something turn out.

It would be fun to ride out there with Rackmup and OnePocketChamp. I will be there as a mere spectator.

eg8r

Chris Cass
11-04-2002, 09:22 PM
No way eg8r,

No friend of Ken and OPC can just sit and sweat matches. You have to atleast try your luck in one event. Who knows? You might place in the money and enter another. It's way too much fun than just come and watch. I bet you play something if you go. If you can't then maybe you'll have to atleast play Kato. He'll be there woffin at the Cass-man.

Regards,

C.C.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-05-2002, 07:26 AM
I'll probably drive down for a day or so to spectate. I'd like to watch Brumback play banks. Maybe I'll learn something. /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Chris Cass
11-05-2002, 07:54 AM
He recently played in Fort Wayne, In. two weeks ago. Don't know what he did?

Regards,

C.C.

Kato
11-05-2002, 08:44 AM
What C.C. fails to tell you is that I have decided to play in the 9-ball event. Hopefully I don't play some shortstop or 1 of my friends. $100 bucks is worth it to play Bustamante or someone like that. Hell, I'll even play Cass. No buy back for me though. When it's over for me I'll be sweating Chris's and Voodoo's matches 100%.

Kato~~~I'm comin' and gonna get me a piece of Rackemup. Why not, everyone else does.

Chris Cass
11-05-2002, 08:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> Kato~~~I'm comin' and gonna get me a piece of Rackemup. Why not, everyone else does. <hr></blockquote>

Man Kato,

Your gonna have to give Ken a break. OPC has taken all his doe and now they're playing for eg8r. LMAO I wonder if eg8r knows that? hahahaha

Best regards,

C.C.~~if I get Kato in a draw, I'm dumping.....hahahahaha

rackmup
11-05-2002, 08:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: kato:</font><hr>Kato~~~I'm comin' and gonna get me a piece of Rackemup. Why not, everyone else does.<hr></blockquote>

Sorry Kato, you're too late. There are no pieces left...only small crumbs.

As for me playing in an event...my $100 would be put to better use at the bar or the t-shirt vendor. At least I would reap some return on the investment!

But we can play...oh yes...we can play. I'm "back" after watching my Keith McCready vs. Ismael Paez Accu-Stats tape. The problem was, I was letting my arm hang straight down from the elbow but I've got it back out to the side like my boy, Keith so loooook out.

Regards,

Ken

Kato
11-05-2002, 09:14 AM
Ken, I'm pretty darn sure that it's cheaper to play in an event and get a players pass than it is to buy spectators passes. You might wanna check into that.

Oh yeah and Chris, if you dump to me, I'll bury ya in the corn. Come and get ya some son, I'm ready now. I got back my fire!!!!!!!!

Kato~~~I wanna play, I wanna win, I'm fired up!!!!!!

eg8r
11-05-2002, 01:35 PM
Chris,

I am very humle player. I could not stand to go out there and stink it up. Just ask rackmup, I miss the dumbest of shots with staggering regularity.

eg8r &lt;~~~I will watch, maybe play against some friends

eg8r
11-05-2002, 01:37 PM
Don't let him fool you. After watching that tape, you better watch rackmup rack and then walk away from the rack. lol

eg8r &lt;~~I will also rather spend money on the t-shirt vendor

eg8r
11-05-2002, 01:40 PM
LOL, nope I did not know that. Rackmup does a great acting job when showing his disdain for having me as a team mate against OPC.

eg8r &lt;~~~My skillful play drags everyone elses skill down to my level and I beat them with experience

Chris Cass
11-05-2002, 06:06 PM
Hi eg8r,

If I can, I'll check out what's going on with your game. I'll help if I can. I'm usually good at picking up on what's going on. Then, maybe you'll give them guys a sweat once in a while. I imagine OPC doesn't sweat anything though. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~glad you can take a ribbing.

eg8r
11-05-2002, 07:41 PM
I appreciate the offer. I only need to make sure rackmup is going to go, and if Mrs.eg8r will let me out of the house.

eg8r

Kato
11-05-2002, 10:24 PM
Eg, he's going or I'm coming to Texas and taking him. One way or another we're all gonna find trouble in January.

Kato

eg8r
11-06-2002, 06:56 AM
Kato, while you are dragging him to the car, I will try to restrain my wife (actually I think I might have to spring for a plane ticket to send her back to florida).

eg8r

Vicki
11-06-2002, 04:11 PM
depending on the number of days you plan to spectate it may be less expensive to enter one of the events and get a player's pass to enter the tournament room rather than paying for spectator admission. I know a bunch of people bought into the tourny last year - not because they thought they could compete against the world beaters, but because it was more cost effective. Have a great time if you go!

11-06-2002, 06:53 PM
Just to play devils advocate, that does not really benefit the tournament. You don't want to see Varner have to play Reyas while Hall players a guy that is little more then a bye. They have no shortage of players, salting the field with weak players spoils the tournament. Just my opinion.

Greg/Diamond
11-06-2002, 09:05 PM
Nothing wrong with playing the devils advocate, but I hope most people view the Derby in a different light. I'm not trying to create a format for a true Pro Tour. I have several goals to accomplish with this format and can't explain them all in this post....... Rather than me make the money at the gate I'd rather have a weak player take his best shot and play. He should consider it an honor to play a top player and in a short race, who knows he might have a flash back or rise to the occasion. You'll never know unless you try.............. Don't worry the cream will still come to the top, just remember without the weaker players entries the purse would be smaller. In you're example I doubt Buddy Hall would mind a easier oponent to get in stroke with...... This tournament format is for pool players of all abilities to play pool and perhaps get better or leave with a sense of belonging...... With the number of players increasing each year, spending money with venders, buying food and drink, paying room nights and all the other supporting factors give me a chance possibly to attract a sponser and get the prise money up as it definitely needs..................There will be plenty of great matches for spectators to watch. I want everyone to leave the Derby with a story. Some good others bad, but at least they were entertained........ In one way I see the Derby Tournament as just a reason for players to gather and perhaps see people they haven't in years or may not see again... We're all getting older..........Remember it takes all types of people to make a tournament truely successful,,,,,,players, backers, spectators and even people who stir up action...........Greg/Diamond

Chris Cass
11-06-2002, 09:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Just to play devils advocate, that does not really benefit the tournament. You don't want to see Varner have to play Reyas while Hall players a guy that is little more then a bye. They have no shortage of players, salting the field with weak players spoils the tournament. Just my opinion. <hr></blockquote>

I can not believe what I'm reading here. You odviously don't play tournament.

Regards,

C.C.~~Do you know the difference between a good player and a bad player?

Tom_In_Cincy
11-06-2002, 09:46 PM
Greg,
Thanks for the info.. and insights.. I have been going to the DCC since it started.

$50 for Banks, $75 for One Pocket and $100 for 9 Ball, is cheap for any Large Professional Tournament. Sure it builds up the Prize money.. the gate would do that also.. in some tournaments. Either way.. for 9 days of some of the world's most famous players matching up, during the day or evening.. its still a bargin.

Last year there were 200+ in the Banks and evey more in the One Pocket. In all there were over 600 players total in the combined 3 tournaments.

When was the last time you saw or even heard of 600 entries in one place?

Did you know that the individual tournaments (Banks, One Pocket and 9 Ball) are limited to the first 250 entries only?

Better sign up soon..

Greg/Diamond
11-06-2002, 10:08 PM
Tom.
I'm working on a new software program that would speed up the drawing process . Hopefully this time savings will allow us to increase the number of players. I don't know exactly how to take this, but I got a call from the Executive West and they asked what's going on. It seems they've never had this many people signing up for rooms ahead of time...... I haven't noticed any great increase in players signing up for the tournaments as of now, but increased room reservations makes me wonder! Maybe since this is the fifth year players are making plans ahead of time.......Greg/Diamond

Tom_In_Cincy
11-06-2002, 10:14 PM
Greg/Diamond,

I know of at least a Dozen CCB member that have already made their reservations.. A couple of years ago.. I had to stay at the Days Inn down the road.. The Executive in was full..

I'm sure that they weren't complaining about the advance bookings..

See ya next year..

dddd
11-07-2002, 01:17 AM
i will play in several perhaps all of them. i live here so it is something one must do.
i dont have any delusions but, on any given day a few wins may be possible.
i also understand this is for you and i, a event that is unlike any other.
this needs my help and i for one relish the opportunity to play and provide support, the largest building cannont rise to the heights without the foundation. i am part of that foundation.

eg8r
11-07-2002, 06:59 AM
I think you might be on to something, but not really. If we continue with your analogy:<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>don't want to see Varner have to play Reyes (I had to correct this spelling) while Hall players a guy that is little more then a bye. <hr></blockquote>If your analogy holds weight, then we are probably talking about the very beginning stages of the event. This is the place that the "little more than a bye" get knocked off. If Varner is playing Reyes at this time, then they both just got a crappy draw. If your analogy proves to be at the end of the tournament, then I would call the tournament a success because the "little more than a bye" had to move through a very tough field and get to the semifinals.

This is just my take,

eg8r &lt;~~I am not entering anyways, I don't think I will be there in time.

11-07-2002, 09:55 AM
Years ago they had the US open straight pool tournament. You got in by being invited (past winner) or winning a qualifier tournament. What happened often, was someone, usually a room owner, would order the tournament kit. They would fill in a phony board with made up names and themselves as the winner. Submit the approbate monies and go play. Just to show you I am not a hypocrite, I won a qualifier with other players that did not really play straight pool. I gave my entry to Boston Shortly which the BCA approved and let him go. In other sports you can't just show up and play, like a big bowling tournament or golf tournament. They want qualified players, not a bunch of fans who want to mingle with the pros. I just think it makes for a bad tournament. It would be very easy for bad players to draw each other and have them advance. When they lose they now go to the loser side and become byes for the lucky player to draw them, advancing another player even farther who has not really earned it. It is even bad for the spectator. Pool is too small time for tournaments to be run like other sports. They want every entry they can get to pump up the pot, but the fact still remains.

11-07-2002, 10:00 AM
Very well said, The idea of entering just to get a pass even if you don't even care about playing just seemed a little silly.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-07-2002, 10:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Just to play devils advocate, that does not really benefit the tournament. You don't want to see Varner have to play Reyas while Hall players a guy that is little more then a bye. They have no shortage of players, salting the field with weak players spoils the tournament. Just my opinion. <hr></blockquote>

I hope you're just playing devil's advocate and not serious about this. You're saying that anybody with no chance of winning or cashing should not enter a tournament? So a 64-player tournament suddenly becomes a 12-man tournament. And a 200-player tournament becomes a 30-player tournament. You really need to think this through. Just my opinion.

11-07-2002, 10:57 AM
I see your point but you need to rethink what you are saying. On the pro golf tour there are players that have never, nor will even win a major tournament. They are still pro players and enjoy professional careers. The truth is there are only a few players capable of winning with any regularity in pool, that does not discount the ability of the many other players that enter. That is just the way it is. Anyone that attends the tournament will not be disappointed I assure you. I think you will change your mind if you think about it.

rackmup
11-07-2002, 11:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: anonymous:</font><hr>Just to play devils advocate, that does not really benefit the tournament. You don't want to see Varner have to play Reyes while Hall plays a guy that is little more than a bye. They have no shortage of players, salting the field with weak players spoils the tournament. Just my opinion.<hr></blockquote>

First I would ask you to provide your definition of a "weak" player. Then, continue to the bottom of my post and read directly from the DC Tourney website, exactly what type of players they want to attract, and finally, realize that while this may be how you feel, it isn't about what the Tourney wants. I agree, Betty Sue or Bubba from the "Coonfarm Bar &amp; Grill" eightball league, armed with their five-piece "Budweiser" cues (with brass ferrule and plastic tip) shouldn't be ready to jump into the old pick-m-up and headin' to Kentucky but then again, I don't really think we need to be too concerned with that.

Regards,

Ken

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Derby City Classic Tournament Website:</font><hr><font color=red>Open to all eighteen and older players who enjoy the diversity and excitement of billiards</font color=red>, the basic concept for the Derby City Classic evolved from traditions of the past refined for present enthusiasms. The Classic's unusual combination of low entry fees, high prize money and a broad scope of activity not only stimulates the participation of professionals and amateurs while offering the ultimate in competition to players and spectators, but <font color=red>furthers the education of a growing billiard-playing public</font color=red>, and spotlights an annual opportunity for edification, enjoyment and satisfaction.<hr></blockquote>

Lester
11-07-2002, 12:37 PM
[&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

First I would ask you to provide your definition of a "weak" player. Then, continue to the bottom of my post and read directly from the DC Tourney website, exactly what type of players they want to attract, and finally, realize that while this may be how you feel, it isn't about what the Tourney wants. I agree, Betty Sue or Bubba from the "Coonfarm Bar &amp; Grill" eightball league, armed with their five-piece "Budweiser" cues (with brass ferrule and plastic tip) shouldn't be ready to jump into the old pick-m-up and headin' to Kentucky but then again, I don't really think we need to be too concerned with that.

Regards,

Ken

&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Derby City Classic Tournament Website:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt;<font color=red>Open to all eighteen and older players who enjoy the diversity and excitement of billiards</font color=red>, the basic concept for the Derby City Classic evolved from traditions of the past refined for present enthusiasms. The Classic's unusual combination of low entry fees, high prize money and a broad scope of activity not only stimulates the participation of professionals and amateurs while offering the ultimate in competition to players and spectators, but <font color=red>furthers the education of a growing billiard-playing public</font color=red>, and spotlights an annual opportunity for edification, enjoyment and satisfaction.&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt; <hr></blockquote>I agree Ken, the Derby is supposed to be a "free-for-all,anything can happen,hustler's convention" like Johnston City was. It's one of the reasons it's become so popular in such a short time. ***Lester***

11-07-2002, 01:40 PM
I think I may have over stated it. I was really responding to the advice by Vicki
-----
"depending on the number of days you plan to spectate it may be less expensive to enter one of the events and get a player's pass to enter the tournament room rather than paying for spectator admission. I know a bunch of people bought into the tourny last year - not because they thought they could compete against the world beaters, but because it was more cost effective. Have a great time if you go! "----------------------

This just sounded silly. I picture people forfeiting who don't care a bit about playing just to save a few bucks on a ticket.

Kato
11-07-2002, 02:48 PM
I would love an opportunity to play a champion. To me $100 is a small price to pay to play Buddy or Archer or Parica. If I was trying to go the cheapest way I'd play banks. Forget that.

Kato

Lester
11-07-2002, 02:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> I would love an opportunity to play a champion. To me $100 is a small price to pay to play Buddy or Archer or Parica. If I was trying to go the cheapest way I'd play banks. Forget that.

Kato <hr></blockquote>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;That's the spirit R.J. I'd love to play one of those guys. Hey maybe you'll draw Tater Tot. ***Lester***

rackmup
11-07-2002, 03:09 PM
I guess if someone wanted to do just that, neither the TD or the opponent would mind; one gets the cash, the other a chance to advance to the next match.

Regards,

Ken (would pay the $100, play, get beat and smile all the way to my seat. Can I at least get the opening break?)

rackmup
11-07-2002, 03:21 PM
If the Derby City Classic were held in...say, Dodge City back in the 1800's, there would be gambling everywhere, guns being fired into the air, seedy looking characters riding up on horseback as women and children scramble to safety, hookers taking guys upstairs for a little "friendly conversation", some guy in a bow tie and black derby playing the piano, the smell of stale beer wafting its way way through clouds of cigar smoke and McCready standing over in the corner, ready to drill a nine, saying "Don't worry Cowboy...this'll only hurt for a second."

Come to think of it, that pretty much describes the Derby.

Regards,

Ken

11-07-2002, 04:14 PM
Without wanting to start the anti-gamblers going off. That is the mystique of pool to the general public. Take that away and as beautiful as pool may be to watch, for the non player it is as uninteresting as ping pong or shuffle board no matter how good the players are. Just like the world series of poker. I would like to see something like that with pool maybe once a year. The top players putting up,(or being staked) about $10, 000 and playing for a $500,00 or pot. It would get TV play for sure I guarantee it. It is what the public likes. All it takes is a promoter.

Rod
11-07-2002, 04:40 PM
The problem with those times is the Cowboy might shoot his butt. I wouldn't want to be McCready, present, and living in the past! Not that far from Dodge City my g-grandfather shot and killed a Doctor for trying to run off with his young daughter. He did so with a shotgun load in the chest! It of course made the headlines and he was acquited. I'm thinking the Derby is pretty calm, but I get your drift.

rackmup
11-07-2002, 04:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: anonymous stoner/ccboard/images/icons/crazy.gif:</font><hr>The top players putting up,(or being staked) about $10, 000 and playing for a $500,00 or pot.<hr></blockquote>

There might be some legal issues with that type of prize. Not sure but I think there might be.

Regards,

Ken

11-07-2002, 11:19 PM
I meant to say "or a million"

Wally_in_Cincy
11-08-2002, 07:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Frendly group. <hr></blockquote>

Yes I agree /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif
Are you happy now? LOL

Voodoo Daddy
11-09-2002, 06:32 PM
Post deleted by Voodoo Daddy

11-09-2002, 07:37 PM
Still a ways off and things sometimes have a way of working themselves out. Hope you can still make it. Should be a real happening.