PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Pro Open

jjinfla
11-03-2002, 02:47 PM
Did anyone go to the Atlanta Pro Open? How well was it attended? What was the charge to spectators? How many spectators were there? Was the seating adequate? Did the pros mingle with the fans? Jake

11-03-2002, 05:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: jjinfla:</font><hr> Did anyone go to the Atlanta Pro Open? How well was it attended? What was the charge to spectators? How many spectators were there? Was the seating adequate? Did the pros mingle with the fans? Jake <hr></blockquote>

It was great,about a million cue balls personally signed by the pros /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

11-04-2002, 10:26 AM
It was a good tournament from the pool fan's point of view. Each day had an afternoon session and an evening session, $15 apiece for "VIP" seating, so to watch all day it costs $30 per day. I was there the last two days, it cost $60 total to watch. I counted the "VIP" seating, there seemed to be just under 35 or so. There may have been another 30 or so non-VIP. The VIP seating was in chairs very close to the action. Each day during the weekend may have generated $1,000 or perhaps just a bit more in ticket sales. This doesn't seem like much to me if they are looking for any type of return, since it was a $20,000 added tournament. In fact, in terms of looking for some type of profit, it obviously was not even close to breaking even.
To me, it has to be an enormous failure by any standard, except the spectator's and the player's. If I was putting up $20,000, I would want a lot, lot more for my money. Charlie Williams has some good ideas, like playing the matches one at a time, at least on Saturday. He has some idea about how the fans are supposed to be rowdy and make a lot of noise, which is really contrary to what the players want. Both Buddy Hall and Kim Davenport reacted to any movement or sound, however small, while they were getting ready to shoot. Max Eberle did the player introductions, which is OK, but no one, no one compares to Scott Smith, and it is a crime not to have him at a tournament with this quality of players.

Thunderbolt

jjinfla
11-05-2002, 02:39 PM
Quote Anon: It was great,about a million cue balls personally signed by the pros /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Nice try Harry. But if they did something intelligent like that then maybe fathers and mothers would bring their kids to see the matches. Right now there is nothing to bring the fans in. Most matches are boring and last too long. And nobody really cares who wins. Pool needs an Arnold Palmer. He is credited with attracting the fans and their money to golf. Pool has Earl Strickland but instead of using him and praising him the pool fraternity kicks him in the head. Pool just does not have a drawing card. If they don't smarten up then 10 - 20 years down the road nothing will be different - just different players. Still paying an entry fee to win a few bucks. Jake