PDA

View Full Version : the shanks

03-06-2002, 05:25 PM
I need some advice. I suddenly can't make as many shots as I used to. I see my run, but I'm missing shots I've made all my life. I've never really thought about my technique or how I shoot. I need some pointers about what to do as I address the cue ball. Thank you.

MaineEAck
03-06-2002, 05:30 PM
I am no expert, but when that happens to me, I splash some water in my face, and tell myself it's only mental, and i can break through it.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-06-2002, 10:24 PM
Go back to the pratice table and work on shots you know you don't have any problems. Then start working on the ones you know are giving you the SHANKS.
Work it out on the practice table and it will be ok.

Or you can call Hal Houle and get his aiming system... he seems to be helping a lot of players by introducing them to his aiming system

stickman
03-06-2002, 10:45 PM
My stance had gotten sloppy and inconsistant. My play and accuracy followed. For the most part my stance is consistant now. The width of my stance varies depending on the shot. I'll use a narrow stance when shooting off the rail and a wider stance shooting a shot that is away from the rail, but always line up the same way every time. Addressing the ball needs to be consistant as well. Once you determine your address, do it the same way for the rest of your pool playing life. I survey my shots standing erect. When I'm sure what shot I want to take and visualize where I intend to strike the OB, along with where I intend to leave the cue ball, what english, if any, etc, I set my feet for my stance and swing down for my shot. Once my mind is made up I try to never second guess myself. If you're not sure, stand up and reassess the situation. When you are confident, swing down and execute the shot. I'm no pro, but have found this to work for me. Consistancy is key.

stickman
03-06-2002, 10:51 PM
I left out a couple of practice strokes before executing the shot. :-)

Chris Cass
03-07-2002, 06:42 AM
Try getting down lower and looking down the cue. Chances are your focusing on the ob without seeing if your cue is on line. If this is the case your not hitting in the place you think you are. I don't have a clue to what's up with your game but before you try to fix it. Find out what's broken. JAT
C.C.