PDA

View Full Version : Book or video that has helped u the most

Brent
11-04-2002, 01:59 PM
Hi everyone.This time I want ur opinion on pool related books or videos that are worth something. Id like to hear what book or tape has helped u with ur game and so on. Thnx everyone for replying.

Brents gonna hit the books /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

9 Ball Girl
11-04-2002, 02:31 PM
Any book by Phil Capelle. He's also got another one just released called Phil Capelle on 9 Ball, Archer vs. Reyes. This book includes a VHS or DVD of the accustat match between the two with indepth coverage throughout the match that corresponds with the book.

www.billiardspress.com (http://www.billiardspress.com)

Wally_in_Cincy
11-04-2002, 02:57 PM
"Play Your Best Pool" by Phil Cappelle. It's very comprehensive and easy to read.

What game do you play the most?

Fred Agnir
11-04-2002, 03:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Brent:</font><hr> Hi everyone.This time I want ur opinion on pool related books or videos that are worth something. Id like to hear what book or tape has helped u with ur game and so on. Thnx everyone for replying.

Brents gonna hit the books /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif <hr></blockquote>

The video(s) that have helped me the most, believe it or not, are the AccuStats videos. Watching professionals do what they do does wonders for the game.

Fred

Karatemom
11-04-2002, 04:55 PM
Hi Brent. I have watched Jimmy Reid's set of videos called "No Time for Negative". The first is for beginners, then with the 2nd and 3rd volumes, it gets a little more advanced. Very good watching.

Also, The Monk's book "Point the Way" is extremely good.

Both the book and the videos have helped my progress, along with C.C., of course /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif.

Heide

stickman
11-04-2002, 05:03 PM
One of my problems is getting nervous. Casual play, including gambling doesn't bother me, only higher level tournaments. Nervousness can cause me to get quite sick. I'm taking medicine for it and it is much better, but I still can have sickness at times from it. I read Pleasures of Small Motions and although some don't find it to be useful material for them, it helped me. I learned to concentrate on what it was that lead me to begin playing in the first place. (The Pleasures of Small Motions) In other words the enjoyment I got from performing the small motions necessary to execute a shot correctly. When my focus shifted from whether I was winning or losing, or if I was ahead or behind, to seeking pleasure from executing each shot correctly, my nervousness went away, I played better, and had more fun. If I miss, I figure I'm supposed to miss sometimes, and continue to focus on the positive. (I made six balls before I missed, etc.) Although my mechanical game isn't perfect by any means, I think my mental game is what hurts me most.

Tom_In_Cincy
11-04-2002, 05:08 PM
"Golf is not a game of perfect"Robert J. Rotella
Very good read about Golfers and their mental attitude about goals and competition. For a golf fan.. there are some really good stories in this book.

You can find this book at:

http://hallaudiobooks.com/index.php/Mode/product/AsinSearch/068480364X/name/Golf%2520Is%2520Not%2520a%2520Game%2520of%2520Perf ect/browse/1038336/page/1

""The Inner Game of Tennis" W.Timothy Gallwey
The book Jim Rempe recommended to me in the 1988 "Joey Speath Memorial" 9 ball Tournment.
Mr. Gallwey presents a great way to learn and perfrom from a physical and mental sides of Tennis.. Just replace the word "Tennis" with "Pool" and you will experience your own new self.

You can find this book at:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0679778314/ref%3Dnosim/wannalearncom/104-9625587-7215901

bigbro6060
11-04-2002, 05:45 PM
Sounds unreal 9ball girl!

i searched at Amazon, they don't have it

where can i buy this new book and vid/dvd on Archer v Reyes ?

smfsrca
11-04-2002, 07:30 PM
The only place I have seen it for sale is through Phil Capelles site:
<a target="_blank" href=https://secure2.bookzone.com/bpress/booksordering.html>https://secure2.bookzone.com/bpress/booksordering.html</a>

11-05-2002, 12:52 AM
Any of the ones mentioned already are great, and all helped me a lot. So it's hard to pick the best.

Just historically for me, by accident, The 99 Critical Shots in Pool by Ray Martin came early when I was just learning, and got me hooked with those shots. A few are wrong, and there's a lot more to pool than specialty shot making, but I continue to find them one of the joys of pool.

Later, probably (something like) Advanced Pool by George Fels helped change my game and thinking the most.

bigbro6060
11-05-2002, 01:20 AM
I haven't got access to as many books and videos as u guys but here's some which have helped me

Matchroom Snooker (by Steve Davis, Terry Griffiths etc)
Try Snooker video by Steve Davis
Advanced Pool by George Fels (for strategy)
Play Snooker video by Terry Griffiths

and watch match videos of all the top Pool and Snooker players.

when i get a bit of extra dosh , i'm gonna order from Amazon Phil Capelle and Robert Byrne's books

Brent
11-05-2002, 01:37 AM
Thnx for ur opinions..IM off to order something now /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Later

Brent

11-05-2002, 02:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Brent:</font><hr> Hi everyone.This time I want ur opinion on pool related books or videos that are worth something. Id like to hear what book or tape has helped u with ur game and so on. Thnx everyone for replying.

Brents gonna hit the books /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif <hr></blockquote>

All of 'em.

Every book has a different idea or thing that makes it different than the other ones. I've read Byrnes Standard book, and advanced book of billiards, Phil cappelle's "play your best strait pool", Bob Fanchers "Pleasures of small motions", George fels' "advanced pool", "precision pool" written by two authors, and a few other ones..

All the books help, all the videos help (I learned ONE thing from "How to run 100 balls" (video) and it was worth the price of the video. Accu-stats tapes will help (<a target="_blank" href=http://www.accustats.com)>www.accustats.com)</a> you set your standard and learn great things, not only from the play itself, but from the commentary.

Don't limit yourself to ONE book, or ONE video.. read, watch, learn, and enjoy them all.

CarolNYC
11-05-2002, 04:49 AM
Jim Rempes "How to run 100 balls"
Any accustat tapes
And if you have any good players in your home pool room, just sitting and watching!:)Especially straight pool!
Carol:)