PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendation on buying a billiard table

11-04-2002, 04:42 PM
I am a novice but have always enjoyed billiards. I am in the process of creating a home theater and billiards room in my new home. What is the best way to buy a table. I am looking for a good quality 8". Should I buy a used one out of the classifieds, buy one from z-billiards on ebay, buy new at a dealer, or is there a better way to buy a table? What are some of the features I should look for in a quality table? Any input, comments or help would be appreciated. Thanks

11-04-2002, 07:55 PM
check your local pool rooms and find out who their table mechanic is. the good table mechanics, those who have been at it for years and have good reputations, almost always have a good quality used table or two put back somewhere. since they will be doing the install and any future recovering and such, they'll want to get you in something you're going to be happy with.

dan

beerwolf
11-04-2002, 08:34 PM
There are two sizes involved in the 8 foot tables. You may find a used Gold Crown which would be the "pro" size 8 foot or 46"x92" playing area. If you must get a smaller table then the home 8' size of 44"x88" should be easy to find used. There are so many models it is hard to make recommendations. The Brunswick Gold Crown III would be an excellent table for playing but it is not too attractive in appearance. I would beware of any table with slate under 1" thick. Pocket design is very important. Shoot some balls in hard and make sure they don't pop out onto the table. If appearance is not too important the GC III can be found in the 8' size.
BW

Gayle in MD
11-04-2002, 10:07 PM
I suggest you check out the archives of this site. There is a wealth of information there to help you make your decision.
Good Luck
Gayle in Md

11-05-2002, 03:22 PM
If you interested in a good deal. I have some left over Gabriels Pool tables from the Allen Hopkins Las Vegas Tournament. Joe Marra/Excel Billiards 561-945-4448

Cueless Joey
11-05-2002, 04:57 PM
If you want to stay at 2000 or less, those Z tables are great. Z has already a great number of happy customers. I would opt for a Simonis cloth though.
If you want a commercial grade table, the Gabriels are tops.

11-06-2002, 08:23 AM
Thanks, I appreciate the input on choosing a good table