PDA

View Full Version : Want to by a pool cue, need advice

11-04-2002, 10:22 PM
I was thinking of buying a pool cue. Any advice? What brand and model? What should be the price range (would like a good deal, not looking to spend too much)? Any good web sites I can get this from?

bigbro6060
11-04-2002, 10:47 PM
Only have one piece of advice

Try as many cues as you can and see what you like best and what suits your game. A cue which might be perfect for Person A might be terrible for Person B

Ludba
11-05-2002, 02:43 AM
If you're just starting to play pool seriously, buy a cheap $50 two-piece cue. I got a Brunswick at a local retailer. Play the hell out of it. If you're just starting, all you really need is some stroke consistency. You DO NOT need a $500 cue to improve at pool.

Then get into a pick-a-prize pool league, basically a 16-week pool league, where at the end of the season, you get a pool cue. Normally you pay 10-20 bucks a week for 16 weeks and then you choose from a catalog of cues ranging in prices. I got a 19 ounce J. Pechauer, which retailed at $340. I got it for $256 ($16 for 16 weeks). J. Pechauer is a good solid beginner stick. I've had good results from it. I retipped it with a layered Talisman tip, which I really like. Cost me $20 bucks. I think I'm gonna stick with my current stick for a while. I may try the Predator line after a while. I was using my Brunswick cue as a break cue, but I sold it to a friend for real cheap, so he could have something to practice with. I've started using the Pechauer for breaking. I wasn't really comfortable with that before, but the layered tip doesn't deteriorate nearly as fast as the regular tip.

But, as the other poster said, you should try a variety of cues to see which feels right for you. My suggestion would be to get in good with others who already have say a Meucci, a Joss, or a McDermott, and through guile and persistence pry the stick from their hands and try a few practice swings to see how it feels. After you've played for a while with any kind of stick, you'll have a pretty good idea of what feels right and what doesn't.

You'll probably hear a great deal of criticism of Meuccis on the site, because of poor quality control, but the catch 22 of pool cues is that you have to try one out yourself before you really know what you should buy.

11-05-2002, 05:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> I was thinking of buying a pool cue. Any advice? What brand and model? What should be the price range (would like a good deal, not looking to spend too
much)? Any good web sites I can get this from? <hr></blockquote>

Viking makes a really good cue for pretty cheap. (it's the company that Cory Duel is/was sponsored by). www.billiards.com (http://www.billiardswarehouse.com>www.billiardswarehouse.com</a>).

Perk
11-05-2002, 06:26 AM
I answered your post a bit differently on playpool forum (Perk), but i will give my actually cue stick opinion since everyone has given quality info so far. Most of the time, questions like this end up bashing certain cues. Every stick has value to every person that was already stated. You need to place a value on your game, not the cue. Things like how often you play, serious, tourneys, gambling. If you are starting out, the "Hustler" 2-pc cues are a pretty good deal as mentioned around $60.00 or so.

I personally would recommend starting out with a Predator SPJ. www.predatorcues.com (http://www.predatorcues.com) It will end up around $330.00. With any cue you think about, try to hit one first, read about it from their website, then search the billiard discount websites. Most often you can get cues anywhere from $50 - $100 cheaper than the retail price. Good luck!

Tuffest thing to do is weigh out the value of ones game!

griffith_d
11-05-2002, 07:04 AM
Before I bought my current cue, I went to the Billiard Factory where they have a lot of cues on the rack and a table setup and they let me hit with anyone,...except the ones in the glass case,...it really helps to try them.

I am not sure how much you want to spend, but do not get too cheap. When you get better, then get a nicer cue and used the first one as a breaking stick.

Griff

Rich R.
11-05-2002, 08:56 AM
You don't say how much you want to spend. "Not too much", means different things to different people. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
For relatively inexpensive two piece cues check out these at Mueller's.
http://www.poolndarts.com/product.cfm?sku=CC50-BR
I have been using a coupld of these as house cues for my home table and they are not bad for the price. IMHO, they would be a good beginner cue.
If you are spending more, I would recommend going to a shop where you can see the cues and hit some balls.
Rich R.

11-05-2002, 11:28 AM
My advice is to get something between 50 and 100 dollars, definitely nothing more (Players makes a good line of cues for that price). Pick one that feels nice.. You dont have to be overly picky at this point though. After playing for a while, you will refine your taste. After that point it makes sense to go for a better made cue that has what you want. There's no point in spending hundreds on a cue that you might wind up not liking later.
A second important reason in getting the first one cheap is because you wont know how to really take care of it until you have one for a while. There are a LOT of ways to ding and dent your cue that you will not be able to anticipate until it actually happens. Even though I thought i was very careful with my first cue, i still got some dents in the butt. i've had my second, more expensive cue for about 3 years and it is still in perfect condition, and i feel that a lot of it has to do with my experience with my first cue.
-raymond