PDA

View Full Version : Blackjack mate, i appreciate your posts and info

bigbro6060
11-05-2002, 01:36 AM
I'm not trying to be a suck up here /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

I appreciate anyone who posts with detailed opinions and information on any aspect of the game of Pool

I just love information, reading, analyzing

I NEVER follow advice blind, it doesn't matter who it's from

Like the great Bruce Lee used to say

"Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless" for YOU!

When i've looked at how i've developed my game, it's amazing how many different sources i have got information from, some things just click from reading or watching something from a particular source or person. E.g. when starting out my stance was all over the place, and it was from an old circa 1990 video (not particular well made) made by Snooker players including a very young pre World Champion Stephen Hendry. It was Stephen's tip about lining up your back foot with the shot which got my stance on the path to where it is now (which is none too shabby i like to think)

So yeah, debate points if you disagree, that's fine, but at all times be respectful and non insultive, it's not hard and can lead to some very educative debates /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Flaming will just take this forum down the road of so many forums and newsgroups and this road aint pretty !

11-05-2002, 08:24 AM
Thank you for your kinds words. In reference to your stance description, I have been teaching that "secret" for years. If you want to start a really good argument, show that to a beginner in front of someone you believe will challenge it. It aligns your balance "through" the shot. Thsi is what makes snooker players such as John Parrot, Steve Hendry, Alex Higgins, & Karen Corr so deadly.

Cueless Joey
11-05-2002, 10:52 AM
Blackjack, how can you give out these tips for free?
I feel guilty.
Pls. leave me your email addy, ordering details of your mantra.
Thanks.

stickman
11-05-2002, 12:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Thank you for your kinds words. In reference to your stance description, I have been teaching that "secret" for years. If you want to start a really good argument, show that to a beginner in front of someone you believe will challenge it. It aligns your balance "through" the shot. Thsi is what makes snooker players such as John Parrot, Steve Hendry, Alex Higgins, &amp; Karen Corr so deadly. <hr></blockquote>

On the subject of stance, I got a really good laugh last night on the way home from league, concerning this very subject. I don't remember when I started it, but I began working on the issue of alignment with the shot. Most people set their stance before bending down. I have a habit of bending down and getting my aim on the ball, and sort of shuffling my foot back and forth until I feel it is perfectly aligned with the shot. Once I feel perfectly aligned, I take my practice strokes and shoot. A good friend that plays on two different leagues with me, and rides to several matches with me, mentioned that he could always tell when I would make a difficult shot. He said that he noticed on really difficult shots that I get down and tap my foot, then I focus intently on the shot and pocket it. He said that when I miss, I didn't always do this. I guess he thought it was a nervous habit. I didn't realize that anyone had ever noticed me doing this. I laughed and explained to him what it was that I was doing. I guess I should learn to ALWAYS tap my foot. LOL