PDA

View Full Version : Coaches&Teachers

CarolNYC
11-05-2002, 08:07 AM
Quoting from a book Im reading,this paragraph had some sense to me:
You need the best strategy to achieve best results:The best strategy ,in most cases ,is to find a role-model,someone who is already getting the results you want,listen to their knowledge,learn what their doing,their beliefs and how they think.Not only will it make you more effective, but it will save you a huge amount of time!Lots of people know what to do,but few actually do what they know-Coaches,teachers,first of all,care about you,they've spent years focusing on a particular area of expertise and they've continued to make key distinctions on how to produce results quickly!By utilizing their strategies, you can immediately and drastically change your performance. Sometimes coaches do not teach you something new,but remind you of what you ALREADY KNOW-and then GET YOU TO DO IT! This is the role they play!
Just thought I'd share!:)
Carol~thanks God for coaches and teachers and respects the power of knowledge!

Doctor_D
11-05-2002, 08:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: CarolNYC:</font><hr> Quoting from a book Im reading,this paragraph had some sense to me:
You need the best strategy to achieve best results:The best strategy ,in most cases ,is to find a role-model,someone who is already getting the results you want,listen to their knowledge,learn what their doing,their beliefs and how they think.Not only will it make you more effective, but it will save you a huge amount of time!Lots of people know what to do,but few actually do what they know-Coaches,teachers,first of all,care about you,they've spent years focusing on a particular area of expertise and they've continued to make key distinctions on how to produce results quickly!By utilizing their strategies, you can immediately and drastically change your performance. Sometimes coaches do not teach you something new,but remind you of what you ALREADY KNOW-and then GET YOU TO DO IT! This is the role they play!
Just thought I'd share!:)
Carol~thanks God for coaches and teachers and respects the power of knowledge!
<hr></blockquote>

Amen !!!

Dr. D.

socrates
11-05-2002, 09:27 AM
Your post reminds me of the zen proverb:

Teachers open the door - but you must enter by yourself.

PQQLK9
11-05-2002, 09:34 AM
Good info Carol...here's another something I came across...

THE FIVE STEP CONSISTENT COACHING PLAN
1. Tell people what you want them to do.
2.Show them what good performance looks like.
3.Let them do it.
4.Observe their performance.
5.Praise progress and/or redirect.

CarolNYC
11-05-2002, 03:11 PM
All this and ALOT of practice,too!:)
Carol

11-05-2002, 03:14 PM
At CUE-TECH Pool School our Instructors strive to be both Teachers and Coaches. The "Teacher" gives the knowledge to the students and helps them understand the material. The "Coach" aids the student in being able to perform and apply skills......Randyg...BCA Master Instructor

CarolNYC
11-05-2002, 03:15 PM
I am not too knowledgeable of "zen", but I like that!And if you think about it,from kindergarten through College, who are your role models,besides family members,TEACHERS!:)Thanks for the affirmation!
Carol:)

Karatemom
11-05-2002, 03:16 PM
I've have found that role model. That someone who knows every inch of the table and the exact reaction of the cb each and every time. He's not easy on me, but not too hard that I just give up either. I listen to him because I know that he knows exactly what he's doing, and he can tell me exactly what needs to be done.

The only problem is, he's my hubby!! /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Heide ~ guesses marriage does have it's perks /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

CarolNYC
11-05-2002, 03:25 PM
Randyg,
My post was an intention to honor you and ALL the other teachers,coaches out there who give their expertise and time-I was always taught to respect those with knowledge, and hopefully, others will follow!
Carol

CarolNYC
11-05-2002, 03:30 PM
Hey Heide,
You cant get any better than that,Lady!ooh,ooh,ooh.......Im jealous...(only kidding!)I KNOW your in great hands-Im just waiting to see you on one of the tours!Anxiously!
Carol

Kato
11-05-2002, 03:34 PM
And for payment all you have to do is mow the lawn, do the dishes, mop and vaccum, do some dusting, cook and clean, raise a kid (plus your teacher, coach, mentor). Shoot, I need to become a teacher.

Heide, you're lucky you take instruction well. Me, well I'm pretty hard headed.

Kato

Rod
11-05-2002, 04:52 PM
Carol,
It does make a lot of sense. I've found people do need a review on what they already know. Many times they think they got it only to drift back into the same bad habit or at times create a new one. The instructor/coach is there to reinforce the good and isolate the not so good and a means of correction, without rebuilding the whole swing\ game etc. I also believe a good coach works within a students abilities and or limitations. This is to a degree of course and the individual/s.

TomBrooklyn
11-05-2002, 04:52 PM
What a great teacher and a great coach have in common is a deep belief in the potential of the person with whom they are concerned. They possess a conviction about what that person is capable of being and doing, plus the ability to transmit that conviction during their interactions.

11-05-2002, 06:15 PM
Thank You. You did well......randyg

Barbara
11-05-2002, 08:06 PM
Why you you you .... learning straight pool ... 9-ball ... got all the coaching and teaching going for you ...

You know what you are ....

I'll see you this weekend, Missy!!!

Barbara~~~grrrrrr....

Chris Cass
11-06-2002, 12:22 AM
WOOOO,

She's lucky she didn't get Babs on her case. LOLLOL Your so funny Barbara.

Regards,

C.C.~~there goes Carol's points again. hahhaha

Chris Cass
11-06-2002, 12:26 AM
Great to see Randyg. post.

C.C.~~Master Instructor? That's strong....

Chris Cass
11-06-2002, 12:31 AM
Carol,

There you go again only proving once more what I've been saying all along. You spread nothing but love and touch everyone with your happiness. Your a really great person, Carol. I know it and now others might just start to realize it. Your the most positive person I've ever met. Wish you could bottle that, you'd make millions.

Regards,

C.C.~~friend and likes Carol in his corner...

Chris Cass
11-06-2002, 12:38 AM
Gosh Babe,

Thanks but it's all you. I'm just there to try to help you in this frustrating, heartbreaking, pain in the butt, bloodboiling, headaching, we all love and once enjoyed game. hahahahaha

C.C.~~I didn't do anything but buy a Lucasi. hahahaha

CarolNYC
11-06-2002, 04:35 AM
Absolutely Rod,
Reading books,watching videos is all good,but I feel finding a coach,immediately,is the way to go!Its all about what your goal is and what you are trying to achieve!:)
Have a great day!
Carol

CarolNYC
11-06-2002, 04:39 AM
Here goes my points:
Well Barb,
I suggest you get in that 1000 ft sailboat and dock it in NY harbor and spend a little time in the pool halls here-Oh, the knowledge!ha ha ha
Carol~does not want to see the points sheet this weekend!

CarolNYC
11-06-2002, 04:43 AM
This is very true,Tom,
I ,currently, am blessed to have 3 great players helping me out and believe me when I say,I thank God everyday!:)
Carol

CarolNYC
11-06-2002, 04:52 AM
Ha Ha hA,
We know who we are,my friend,and as players, we must maintain positive energy-negative doesnt exist:)
The other evening I overheard a player,who became very good,make a comment about the person who taught them and I just thought that was shameful-I for one,will always appreciate the ones who got me where I am!
Carol~forever in your corner!

CarolNYC
11-06-2002, 04:54 AM
RJ,
You forgot WALK THE DOG!
Carol:)

CarolNYC
11-06-2002, 12:10 PM
I would just like to reiterate my statement regarding books and videos-these are definitely a necessity on your own time, but there is nothing like being 10 hours away from your home playing a tournament,not doing so well and being able to use a "lifeline" by "phoning a friend" and hearing words of support and encouragement and KNOWING when you make that 911 call, it will be answered and that is what you will hear!A book or a video cannot take the place of a true teacher-and thats what coaches and teachers are all about!:)
Carol~has dialed 911 all year!:) ha ha ah

Voodoo Daddy
11-06-2002, 12:49 PM
I wonder who Carol calls...AT&amp;T info maybe? Oh I know, the Shell Answer Man...yeah thats it. Maybe she calls Tommy Tu-Tone...you know, "Jenny Jenny, who can I turn to. 867-5309" HAHAHAHAHAHA! Whoever she calls has to enjoy the phone call so much that they give her great info just so she'll call again, no doubt!!

eg8r
11-06-2002, 12:52 PM
Yes, and if I get the chance to go to the Derby this year I am going to listen to my coach Chris. lol

eg8r

CarolNYC
11-06-2002, 01:23 PM
YOU SILLY! See, now the cats outta the baG-THIS IS WHAT happens when inquiring minds want to know-I maintained a consistemcy this year and now your phone is gonna be ringing off the hook!
Carol

bigalerickson
11-07-2002, 03:29 AM
St. Francis once explained a teachers role like this:
"A teacher is there to take you to a place you could not get on your own."

I havne't found anything that has rang truer than that.

al

HOWARD
11-07-2002, 04:19 PM
Just remember that playing well is base on confidence and confidence is base on positive thinking. But positive thinging is a mis-nomer. One may think as positive as one likes but if one does not believe it - it is not true. There in lies the teacher, instructor or coaches struggle. To take one down the bedrock of positive believe and make the student realize it is the bedrock. It very hard for the student to look inward and see the bedrock. Because he only thing they see is the inside of their own mind arrange as it has been. The big boulder that others induce them to believe is still there and that is the obstacle they must over come to believe positively internally.

When one overcomes this internal boulder one has rearches the destination. And one can start the journey.

Voodoo Daddy
11-07-2002, 07:04 PM
All great athletes have "handlers". Boxers most noted for great cornermen are Ali {Angelo Dundee} and Frazier {The great Eddie Fuch}. Tiger Woods has Butch Harmon, Jack Nickalus had Jim Flick, Pete Samprass or Andre Agassi {I dont remember which one} has Brad Gilbert..but alas, poor Carol gets stuck with me!!! Well, there is something good in all this...I get to talk to Carol at least once a week!!

bluewolf
11-07-2002, 10:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> What a great teacher and a great coach have in common is a deep belief in the potential of the person with whom they are concerned. They possess a conviction about what that person is capable of being and doing, plus the ability to transmit that conviction during their interactions. <hr></blockquote>

Great post, Tom. And the great teachers I have had (Randy and Scott) have definately communicated to me that I could be good with time and good fundamentals.

And socrates, I liked the zen quote. I think I really knock in the most balls when I come close to that meditative that where I am just doing my stroke,aiming and firing, without worrying about whether they go in or not. Fine if they do but no biggie if I miss the ball.

bw

CarolNYC
11-08-2002, 04:27 AM
ABSOLUTELY!
"Deep within man dwells slumbering powers,powers that would astonish him,that he never dreamed of possessing,forces that would revolutionize his life if aroused and put into action!"
There lies the role of teacher!:)
Also, its one thing to be interested in something but its another to make the decision to be COMMITTED to achieve a certain goal and not accept anything less!
I like what you said!:)
Carol

CarolNYC
11-08-2002, 04:38 AM
I believe that!-Each of my daughters excels in a certain subject-(Math,History,English)-their teachers set a standard that is just a little bit higher than the average student,but not too high where they would get frustrated-I think thats another good factor-a certain standard -if I were to offer advice to anyone learning to play pool,it would be seek out a teacher!:)
Have a good day!
Carol

CarolNYC
11-08-2002, 04:48 AM
Voodoo,
Rocky had Bullwinkle,Batman had Robin,Beany had Cecil and poor Barney,no one likes him no more!ha ha ha ha-
Seriously,thank you-you may not realize what you've gotten yourself into-especially since I have the "hotline cell number!" ha ha ha-Be ready-tournament this weekend!:)
Carol~thinks of Voodoo and her other coaches when she sings the song"Lean on me,when your not strong,and I'll be your friend,I'll help you carry on!"

CarolNYC
11-08-2002, 04:56 AM
Hey Heide,
Im going to have to borrow Chris's mental energy this weekend cause I know Im going to have to breakout the jump cue at some point or another!:)
Carol~misses her second family:(

Karatemom
11-08-2002, 05:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: CarolNYC:</font><hr> Hey Heide,
Im going to have to borrow Chris's mental energy this weekend cause I know Im going to have to breakout the jump cue at some point or another!:)
Carol~misses her second family:( <hr></blockquote>

You won't need his energy. I think you'll do better without it /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif. j/k. I know what you mean. I'll be tapping into him myself this weekend.

Heide ~ wishing Carol good luck this weekend

bluewolf
11-08-2002, 06:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: HOWARD:</font><hr> Just remember that playing well is base on confidence and confidence is base on positive thinking. But positive thinging is a mis-nomer. One may think as positive as one likes but if one does not believe it - it is not true. There in lies the teacher, instructor or coaches struggle. To take one down the bedrock of positive believe and make the student realize it is the bedrock. It very hard for the student to look inward and see the bedrock. Because he only thing they see is the inside of their own mind arrange as it has been. The big boulder that others induce them to believe is still there and that is the obstacle they must over come to believe positively internally.

When one overcomes this internal boulder one has rearches the destination. And one can start the journey. <hr></blockquote>

I think I know what you mean. It is like you are spouting all this positive stuff but deep in your soul you do not believe you are capable. I use you inclusively to include me. But positive affirmations do help and so do teachers.

It is like the more positive you hear and experience, the negative core begins to dissolve, so you or I can be all we are meant to be.

bw