PDA

View Full Version : Mosconi Cup On ESPN This December

Luke Riches
11-05-2002, 11:03 AM
Press Release

Tuesday November 5th

Mosconi Cup Gets Four Hour ESPN Slot

Matchroom Sport are proud to announce that for the first time, the Mosconi Cup will be broadcast on ESPN in the United States.

Despite the continued success of the Americans in pool’s premier marquee event, no US broadcaster has yet shown what is already a highly popular production both in Europe and the Far East.

The Mosconi Cup is the annual Ryder Cup-style challenge match between two six man teams taken from the very best pool players on both sides of the Atlantic.

Following last year’s rout by the Americans, the European side is determined to win the Mosconi Cup for the first time since 1995 when the event commences on December 19th at London’s historic York Hall venue.

ESPN will be airing highlights of the tournament as four one hour programmes to run consecutively on their ESPN2 channel on Sunday December 29th.

The first programme breaks off at 2:00pm EST, the second at 3:00pm EST, the third at 4:00pm EST and the final cataclysmic hour gets underway at 5:00 PM EST.

Commented Matchroom Sport Chairman Barry Hearn, “This is great news for American pool fans who will at last get the opportunity to sample the unique atmosphere of the sport’s greatest event.

“The USA v Europe nature of the tournament will hopefully attract big numbers of non-pool playing viewers as it has done in Europe over the past few years.

“Hopefully this will be the start of a beautiful relationship that will see the Mosconi Cup taking place in the United States and being broadcast live from coast-to-coast.”

Doug White, ESPN’s Director of Billiards Programming and Acquisitions for ESPN said “ESPN is extremely excited about presenting the Mosconi Cup to the American audience.

“We feel that the Mosconi Cup is one of the most prestigious and competitive billiards events in the world. The four consecutive hours on ESPN2 illustrates that ESPN is committed to bringing the very best in billiards programming to its viewers.”

PQQLK9
11-05-2002, 11:19 AM
Hip Hip Hooray...Hip Hip Hooray...thanks.../ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
11-05-2002, 11:21 AM
That's great news. Way to go.

Maybe if this goes well we can get the WPC next year.

BTW who are the commentators for the Mosconi Cup?

Luke Riches
11-05-2002, 11:31 AM
The commentators are likely to be the gruesome threesome of Sid Waddell, Jim Wych and Jerry Forsyth. In addition, various players from both sides will pitch in over the four days.

Luke

Wally_in_Cincy
11-05-2002, 11:57 AM
Which leads to my next question: Will Americans be able to understand Sid Waddell? LOL

I've never heard him but I hear he's quite boisterous.

Perk
11-05-2002, 01:04 PM
And I only get ESPN..not 2...Guess its time for direct t.v...anyone want to help me with my card? Just kidding...Good News for the Pool world!

eg8r
11-05-2002, 01:26 PM
Since all the commentators have not been put in stone (you said likely), is there any chance of letting Grady have a chance to be a commentator.

eg8r <~~~Wouldn't that be interesting given Grady's passion for these promoters

eg8r
11-05-2002, 01:27 PM
I second that!!!!!

eg8r

11-05-2002, 02:10 PM
That's terrific! I truly hope it comes off as planned. Given ESPN's track record with the airing of pool programing I, unfortunately, will have to see it to believe it. Best of luck.

cheesemouse
11-05-2002, 02:30 PM
Luke,
You guys do a great job of promoting good pool. Nobody in America seems to get it....pools a great game that anyone can enjoy and fairly cheaply. I hope you guys get to edit the hours that get played cause if ESPN edits your tournament they'll @##$^%#% it all up. Thanks for the great work you guys are doing. I will be glued to my TV set with the VCR recording so I can go over it and over it. I can't wait for your show..... YESSSSSSSSSSSS......

11-05-2002, 02:47 PM
Cool. I just wish they'd run it on ESPN. I don't get ESPN2.

11-05-2002, 08:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Luke Riches:</font><hr> Press Release

Tuesday November 5th

Mosconi Cup Gets Four Hour ESPN Slot

Matchroom Sport are proud to announce that for the first time, the Mosconi Cup will be broadcast on ESPN in the United States.

Despite the continued success of the Americans in pool&amp;#8217;s premier marquee event, no US broadcaster has yet shown what is already a highly popular production both in Europe and the Far East.

The Mosconi Cup is the annual Ryder Cup-style challenge match between two six man teams taken from the very best pool players on both sides of the Atlantic.

Following last year&amp;#8217;s rout by the Americans, the European side is determined to win the Mosconi Cup for the first time since 1995 when the event commences on December 19th at London&amp;#8217;s historic York Hall venue.

ESPN will be airing highlights of the tournament as four one hour programmes to run consecutively on their ESPN2 channel on Sunday December 29th.

The first programme breaks off at 2:00pm EST, the second at 3:00pm EST, the third at 4:00pm EST and the final cataclysmic hour gets underway at 5:00 PM EST.

Commented Matchroom Sport Chairman Barry Hearn, &amp;#8220;This is great news for American pool fans who will at last get the opportunity to sample the unique atmosphere of the sport&amp;#8217;s greatest event.

&amp;#8220;The USA v Europe nature of the tournament will hopefully attract big numbers of non-pool playing viewers as it has done in Europe over the past few years.

&amp;#8220;Hopefully this will be the start of a beautiful relationship that will see the Mosconi Cup taking place in the United States and being broadcast live from coast-to-coast.&amp;#8221;

Doug White, ESPN&amp;#8217;s Director of Billiards Programming and Acquisitions for ESPN said &amp;#8220;ESPN is extremely excited about presenting the Mosconi Cup to the American audience.

&amp;#8220;We feel that the Mosconi Cup is one of the most prestigious and competitive billiards events in the world. The four consecutive hours on ESPN2 illustrates that ESPN is committed to bringing the very best in billiards programming to its viewers.&amp;#8221;
<hr></blockquote>

PoolChick02
11-05-2002, 08:47 PM
Cool!! I can't wait to see it.

PoolChick02~I am definitely going to record this one!

Warren_Lushia
11-06-2002, 02:27 AM
luke riches and matchroom sports' are the freaking shiznit, they rule. lets hope the WPC is next, and i believe matchroom, hearn, and luke riches are the men to do it and i salute their brilliance!!!! great job guys and i'll be glued to the screen on december 29th!!!

can you tell i'm happy?!? /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

warren..

11-19-2002, 04:40 PM
I'm an American that's been living in the UK for the past 4 years. I have been to York Hall for the past three Mosconi Cups and it's by far the best event I've been to. Myself and friends have partied with all the Pros after the tournament and they're the best! I'm happy to see that ESPN is finally getting into gear and giving billiards some air time. Maybe they will also see the way the cameras should view these events. The only problem with watching pool over here are the crummy comintators.