PDA

View Full Version : Ray Schuler Dies

Fran Crimi
11-05-2002, 06:45 PM
((I just wanted to edit this post to reflect that Ray passed away in the hospital Monday evening shortly after experiencing heart attack symptoms. He was not at home at the time.))

I'm sorry to announce that we lost an icon in our industry today. Ray Schuler died Monday evening of a sudden heart attack.
For information regarding the funeral, contact Schuler Cues: (847) 776-7769

I'll miss you, Ray. You were the best.

Fran

Tom_In_Cincy
11-05-2002, 07:01 PM
Sad news for all that knew Ray or had the pleasure of playing with one of his cues...

Ray, you will be missed..

eg8r
11-05-2002, 07:39 PM
I am very sorry to hear this.

Ray's family will be in our prayers.

eg8r

Barbara
11-05-2002, 08:10 PM
Fran,

I'm sorry to hear this. The pool and billiards community has lost a great cue maker.

Barbara

rackmup
11-05-2002, 09:18 PM
Never played with one of his cues nor did I ever meet the man but you can be certain of this:

If he was involved with billiards and the happiness that the game brings to so many of us, he is certainly playing on the best of tables right behind those golden gates, with the other greats who have given us this game.

Prayers to the family and friends of the esteemed Mr. Schuler.

Regards & IHS,

Ken

PastPrime
11-05-2002, 09:37 PM
Fran, I'm sorry that it takes something of this nature to see you post again. I've missed your comments and hope to see you brighten up this board again. I believe we've all missed you.

11-05-2002, 09:54 PM
Post deleted by ccboard_admin

rackmup
11-05-2002, 10:00 PM
Perhaps you will consider deleting this post and any others of the same ilk.

This particular anon cannot let go of the past and hasn't the first inclination of forgiveness.

Wanna pick on someone anon? Pick on me.

Regards,

Ken

11-05-2002, 10:05 PM
It is loud and clear, Anon posting must be ended. Long time reader, will be registering tonight. Do not want to in anyway be associated with anon posting anymore.

11-05-2002, 10:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fran Crimi:</font><hr> I'm sorry to announce that we lost an icon in our industry today. Ray Schuler died this morning at his home of a sudden heart attack, just prior to leaving for work at Schuler Cues. His wife Cathy was at his side.

Fran

<hr></blockquote>

that's a real shame. never met the man but i've seen a lot of his cues and they were all, uniformly, first rate. also, i think he was something of a pioneer and innovator with his variety of shaft sizes and tapers before that kind of stuff was popular.

very big loss to the sport.

dan

rackmup
11-05-2002, 10:18 PM
Another convert to the good side. I believe we are nearing full strength. We attack at dawn.

Welcome to "the world of the known and respected." Well...oaky...maybe not respected but known none-the-less.

Regards,

Ken (known by many, respected by few)

Chris Cass
11-05-2002, 11:03 PM
You are one sick puppy. Using your anger against a woman and totally disregarding the unpleasant demise of one of most valued cues makers and friend, Ray Schuler. Have you no morals?

C.C.~~my simpathy, for Ray's family.

cueball1950
11-05-2002, 11:45 PM
HEY ANON.... COME VISIT NEW YORK. WE WILL SHOW YOU HOW TO ACT UP HERE. WE WOULD LOVE TO SHOW YOU HOW TO RESPECT LADIES ALSO. YOUR REMARKS TO FRAN WERE TOTALLY UNCALLED FOR. EITHER GET A LIFE, A REAL ONE, OR GET THE HELL OFF OUR BOARD. WE DO NOT NEED JERKS LIKE YOU ON HERE RUINING IT FOR ALL THE REST IF US.............NUFF SAID..........MIKE

11-06-2002, 01:00 AM
There's a time and a place for everything but you,my friend,have a genuine problem

Evaluate your post and come to the obvious conclusion - you need help

GOOD LUCK

Gayle in MD
11-06-2002, 02:34 AM
Welcome to the CCB family, friend. We are not really an elite group, it's just hard to include you unless we know your name!
HELLO FRAN, and how are you my friend.
Regards and regrets to the Shuler Family.
Gayle in Md.

Fran Crimi
11-06-2002, 04:08 AM
I think you would have liked him. He was a grumbly guy, strapping, with an unlit cigar always hanging out of his mouth. Kind of a cross between LBJ and Lanier, only a staunch Republican. Hated them Democrats, and he'd argue politics with anyone anytime. He was a true artist and innovater when it came to cues. In his later years he didn't make every cue himself, but he went to the shop every day and oversaw the work. I remember being at his shop one day when a worker brought a finished cue to him for his signature. He tested and inspected that cue to death which he did with each one before personally signing it. That isn't a signature stamp on his cue; it's his personal signature. Each shaft had a wood lot ID number written into the flat face so that when you needed a replacement, you could give him the number and you'd get a shaft cut from the same piece of wood as your previous shaft. The best was that you could order it by phone and it would fit perfectly. All shafts fit all cues and were interchangable.

One of Ray's biggest gripes was the use of the term 'billiard shaft.' It always bugged him that people would refer to a particular taper as a 'billiard taper.' If you notice, he never referred to his shafts as billiard or pool. They're called constant, European, American, Schuler Pro or pro. He would gripe: "Why put a label like "billiard" on a taper? Let the player decide for himself what he wants to use the shaft for." Makes perfect sense if you think about it.

It's been an honor and privelidge to have known him and to be able to say he was my friend.

Fran

11-06-2002, 04:12 AM
&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Fran Crimi:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; I'm sorry to announce that we lost an icon in our industry today. Ray Schuler died this morning at his home of a sudden heart attack, just prior to leaving for work at Schuler Cues. His wife Cathy was at his side.

Fran

&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

My prayers go out to his family and friends. I don't know Mr. Schuler myself, but I've never met a cuemaker I didn't like.

eg8r
11-06-2002, 07:24 AM
What was lame about her post?

eg8r

Fred Agnir
11-06-2002, 07:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fran Crimi:</font><hr> I'm sorry to announce that we lost an icon in our industry today. Ray Schuler died this morning at his home of a sudden heart attack, just prior to leaving for work at Schuler Cues. His wife Cathy was at his side.

Fran

<hr></blockquote>
I am so sorry to hear this. I'm feeling... a little lost. Maybe a lot lost.

Fred

jjinfla
11-06-2002, 08:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> You are one sick puppy. Using your anger against a woman and totally disregarding the unpleasant demise of one of most valued cues makers and friend, Ray Schuler. Have you no morals?

C.C.~~my simpathy, for Ray's family. <hr></blockquote>

The sad part Chris is that he is not the exception on the boards. There are many like him. But it is all our fault. (It always is, isn't it?) We should never allow people like him (or her) to learn how to read and write let alone teach them how to use a computer. We need more incompetent teachers in our government schools. Jake

eg8r
11-06-2002, 08:10 AM
Being that you are in Florida you should be well aware there might be tooooooooo many incompetent teachers.

This poor soul needed more compassionate teaching from his family during the growing up process. I have a strong belief that the way a person acts is a direct correlation with the way they were brought up. If the family is not teaching morals and right from wrong, then the person will have a tougher time in life (I am not pushing religion, however you cannot go wrong with Christianity) Sure the main problem is anons inability to act like a grown up in public.

eg8r &lt;~~~There will come a time in anons life where he will need some forgiveness for burning bridges and no one will be there

truelight
11-06-2002, 10:48 AM
I am greatly distressed at this news. I believe that we have lost one of the greatest cue makers in American history, in tradition of the great Rambo.

After an absence of 33 years, I returned to pool to renew my passion. I soon discovered that cues had changed and I now had to consider something called "Defelection." This effect is totally due to the "Pro Shaft" that has become so popular. I discovered Ray's cues on his website, ordered one and now have no need to compensate for deflection. I have a custom shaft that you just point and shoot.

Ray will surely be missed and I feel honored &amp; privelaged to own and play with one of his cues.

My most sincere condolences go out to his family and the extended family of his clients.

CarolNYC
11-06-2002, 11:56 AM
Prayer being said,Fran,
I know what he meant to you!
love,
Carol

11-06-2002, 01:27 PM
Though I never met the man nor have I played with one of his cues, I still feel a loss. There are few venues left where true craftsmen are still allowed to shine and losing people like this is a loss for every one.
Prayers go out to his family and friends.
Chris

Doomsday Machine
11-06-2002, 01:41 PM
For those unfamiliar with the history of Mr. Schuler:

http://www.schulercue.com/SchulerHistory.htm

11-07-2002, 06:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: eg8r:</font><hr> What was lame about her post?

eg8r <hr></blockquote>

Nothing. But it's very lame that a great cuemaker would pass away.