PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to clean Simonis with a mini vacuum?

preacherman
11-05-2002, 09:00 PM
I love my simonis, and have met people who said it is practically indestructible and that using a small dirt devil or something like that with spinning bristles on the mini vacuum will not hurt the table even if used often.

Input on this please.

Thanks,
Jim
(goproclaim@aol.com)
www.geocities.com/pool4christ/ (http://www.geocities.com/pool4christ/)

PQQLK9
11-05-2002, 09:05 PM
Go for it Jim...I've been doing it for years with my Dirt Devil.

stickman
11-05-2002, 09:49 PM
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccb_archive/?read=114977

11-05-2002, 10:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: preacherman:</font><hr> I love my simonis, and have met people who said it is practically indestructible and that using a small dirt devil or something like that with spinning bristles on the mini vacuum will not hurt the table even if used often.

Input on this please.

Thanks,
Jim

not a problem. as a matter of fact, the platinum dirt devil with the crevace wand works great. had my cloth replaced recently and the simonis was still as tight as a ...well, it was still tight. using the brushes on a first pass then going to the little wand does a great job and speeds the cloth up a lot. well, some of the speed probably comes from the windex i use on it last.

one of the benefits of the windex (spray towel then wipe table cloth) is it's ready to play immediately. chric is n.c. (where'd he go???) says to use clear water on the towel
and get the table pretty wet. i've never had the guts to do that. i'm a little worried about water-marks as it dries.

by the way, i saved the old cloth and it's now on top of my poker table. looks kinda kewl with the spot and rack burns.

dan

dan

PQQLK9
11-05-2002, 10:16 PM
Hey Dan...I use a fluffy green towel saturated with plain warm water ...works like a charm.

11-05-2002, 10:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: PQQLK9:</font><hr> Hey Dan...I use a fluffy green towel saturated with plain warm water ...works like a charm. <hr></blockquote>

do you really soak it down?

air dry or fan?

dan

PQQLK9
11-05-2002, 11:01 PM
I soak it down but not overly so and let it air dry...dries pretty fast and stays really tight.

Chris Cass
11-06-2002, 12:49 AM
Hi Jim,

Just a tidbit of information for ya. Diamond invented Simonis Cloth. I was shocked too until I thought about it. I like Diamond.

Regards,

C.C.

Rod
11-06-2002, 01:05 AM
Jim, yes they are safe. I've never felt they get the cloth very clean though. I used one the other night and it did a poor job. I still like a good canister with medium bristles on about a 6 inch wide attachment. Wiping it with a damp cloth is good, like dan says he uses windex, so have I and have use a light mixture of vinegar.

preacherman
11-06-2002, 07:47 AM
Dan,
What does wiping the table with windex do for the simonis?
Any other ideas to keep Simonis in tip top shape and fast.

Jim

11-06-2002, 09:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: preacherman:</font><hr> Dan,
What does wiping the table with windex do for the simonis?
Any other ideas to keep Simonis in tip top shape and fast.

Jim

essentially, the whole vaccuuming and cleaning process is about removing the chalk dust. the windex does an especially good job, in my opinion, of cleaning the dust from the top of the fibers. in general, it brings the cloth closer to the original color, somewhat darker, and makes it a bit faster than vaccuuming alone. it also dries quickly and evenly.

dan

Wally_in_Cincy
11-06-2002, 11:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Jim,

Just a tidbit of information for ya. Diamond invented Simonis Cloth. I was shocked too until I thought about it. I like Diamond.

Regards,

C.C. <hr></blockquote>

?????????????

I thought Simonis cloth had been around since about 1582. I bet Mozart had it on his table /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

11-06-2002, 11:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Chris Cass:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Hi Jim,

Regards,

C.C. &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

?????????????

I thought Simonis cloth had been around since about 1582. I bet Mozart had it on his table /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif <hr></blockquote>

close, the simonis ad says " since 1680".

dan

Vicki
11-06-2002, 04:41 PM
I noticed at the US Open that they were using a foam aerosol cleaner on the tables. they sprayed the tables very lightly with it then wiped it off with a towel. I don't know what kind of cleaner it was but you might e-mail Brady Berhman and ask him. They used it after every match. The tables looked great when they were done.

Vicki

JimS
11-06-2002, 10:48 PM
I've been using a Dirt Devil with a revolving brush for a year with great results and no damage at all. I use it every day and I wipe it down with a towel soaked in water and then wrung out once every 20 hours of play...or so. No water spots ever and I get it fairly wet. I am careful to not wipe the towel over the spot but I do wipe everywhere else...in the pockets, along the cushions and on the rails.

11-07-2002, 12:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: JimS:</font><hr> I've been using a Dirt Devil with a revolving brush for a year with great results and no damage at all. I use it every day and I wipe it down with a towel soaked in water and then wrung out once every 20 hours of play...or so. No water spots ever and I get it fairly wet. I am careful to not wipe the towel over the spot but I do wipe everywhere else...in the pockets, along the cushions and on the rails. <hr></blockquote>

hey jim s,

thanks a lot, a very lot for the pix. i appreciate you going to the trouble. brings back memories. that's not the old slide but it is in the same place.

on washing the cloth, i know what you mean about keeping water away from the spot. the black turns light grey in an instant. why would they do that??? matter of fact, i took the paper spot off shortly after changing the cloth. if you play enough 1-p, sooner or later the ball will roll back off the paper and the while dot will develop 3 different places it wants the headball.

ok, i'll try using clear water and soaking it. what about putting some downey in the water??cause you can't rince it back out? anyone try that? downey?

then, maybe after it dries, if it's not fast enough, i'll windex the sukka.

i'll let y'all know.

dan

Rich R.
11-07-2002, 05:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Vicki:</font><hr> I noticed at the US Open that they were using a foam aerosol cleaner on the tables. they sprayed the tables very lightly with it then wiped it off with a towel. I don't know what kind of cleaner it was but you might e-mail Brady Berhman and ask him. They used it after every match. The tables looked great when they were done.

Vicki <hr></blockquote>
That was a product made specifically for cleaning pool tables. I think they were selling it at one of the tables outside the tournament room. In Billiards Digest there is an ad for a product called "Quick-Clean". That may have been what they were using at the Open, but I'm not positive.
Rich R.

JimS
11-07-2002, 10:46 PM
Dan,
re: the pictures...you are most welcome. Going to Whitey's for the Midwest 9 ball tourney this weekend.

As for the Downey...I've never used any chemical on the Simonis....other than our pristine-pure Galesburg water (piped in from the Mississippi!) so I have no input there. I've even been afraid of the Windex despite your repeated recommendations. I've wiped it with a white towel soaked in warm water, and then well wrung out, and it turns the towel blue/green and when we torn down my old table there was very little chalk on the slate. So....I"ve stuck with the Dirt Devil and water.

preacherman
11-08-2002, 07:02 PM
Dan,
I really don't have the guts to use Windex or a very wet towel on my cloth. I will vacuum it and then wipe it down with a damp cloth.

What is the purpose for your using windex?

Thanks,
Jim